• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

About the headlight and tach fogging problem ...

Sleekmachine

Just got it firing!
Hi all -

I first got the fogging tach problem last fall, just before parking my bike for the winter (I'm from Quebec City, Canada). At first, there was only a "ring" of fog in the tach ... then, right after my first ride a few weeks ago, the tach got almost illegible. At the same time, the bottom inner half of the headlight was covered with condensation.

That's when I called my dealership, Rock Motosport of Sherbrooke, QC. The service manager asked me to send the pictures, along with my bike's VIN. Just two days later, he confirmed me that he got the OK from Piaggio to change the headlight and the tach assemblies.

The parts are on their way, I'll keep you posted when I'll hear back from the dealership. Pharemars2016 Tachmars2016 Tachoctobre2015

I wonder if this is not so much a problem of keeping moisture out, but that there is no way for moisture to get out designed into the gauge and headlight assembly.

I tend to think it's moisture getting in from the outside. I've washed my bike twice (after purchase 3 weeks ago) with no moisture in the bottom of the headlight nacelle prior to the washing and after the wash seeing the droplets along with a gnat or two. I easily sucked out the moisture droplets I could see with a small vacuum so hopefully the problem is solved ...until the next wash. Someone else has stated they got the gnats out by sliding a business card or credit card between the lens and the nacelle, but since I haven't tried it I can't verily that.

Someone else has stated they got the gnats out by sliding a business card or credit card between the lens and the nacelle, but since I haven't tried it I can't verily that.

I've used the business card technique. If you can fit a business card in there, how is the water and/or bugs going to stay out?

Exactly. I'm thinking of running a small bead of clear silicone between the lens and the nacelle in hopes of at least minimizing the amount of water that's able to get in there.

I have seen the moisture also, but not from rain or washing the bike.
Its condensing water vapor from rapid temperature change.
If you seal it up there will be no means by which the condensation can evaporate.
Ideally MG should have made it totally sealed but I imagine that they needed airflow for cooling since the cluster its its own computer and may be spec'd out to temperature ranges that aren't as wide as the military.

I have seen the moisture also, but not from rain or washing the bike.
Its condensing water vapor from rapid temperature change.
If you seal it up there will be no means by which the condensation can evaporate.
Ideally MG should have made it totally sealed but I imagine that they needed airflow for cooling since the cluster its its own computer and may be spec'd out to temperature ranges that aren't as wide as the military.
I know where you're coming from with this and agree to a certain point that is why I left a portion of the nacelle open just for that reason.
There were other responses that stated they had corrosion issues from moisture accumulation so I don't really know the answer. I am reconsidering what I did though since it is a simple matter of just vacuuming out the moisture (and bugs) when it does occur.
Thanks for the response.

Dave

My )# RoadKing speedo would occasionally fog, usually after a heaving washing. It would clear up very quickly in the direct sunlight. Never posed a problem. Was an annoyance until the humidity under the glass evaporated.

I watched this thread when I had my 1400. The water and bugs at the bottom of the headlight in my opinion are just trapped in a gap that should not have been left there but doesn't actually go into the headlight. As for mine, I had no problem. Mine never fogged and I am the guy that washes with a garden hose and S100. I had it 2 seasons and never had this problem. I guess I was just lucky as mine was an early production model.

I watched this thread when I had my 1400. The water and bugs at the bottom of the headlight in my opinion are just trapped in a gap that should not have been left there but doesn't actually go into the headlight. As for mine, I had no problem. Mine never fogged and I am the guy that washes with a garden hose and S100. I had it 2 seasons and never had this problem. I guess I was just lucky as mine was an early production model.
As you just stated, there also is no fogging in my headlight nacelle, just water droplets and an occasional bug on the bottom. I've also had a a couple of Harleys, and three BMW's in recent times and never noticed any type of fogging or moisture buildup in any of them.

Back