• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Acceptance Advice

Mountain_Goose

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
I should be picking up my Verde soon. I’m handy and have a decent garage, but I’m letting the dealer install the panniers (seem tricky) and center stand. Crash bars may not arrive in time, but I’ll install them myself based on everyone’s write ups (thank you). May also order the high comfort seat and USB connector.

Here’s my question. Is there anything glaring I should be looking for on the bike before I take delivery?

I would make sure they performed the pre delivery inspection (PDI) per the manufacturer suggestion. There is a checklist that comes with the bike. I would also check for obvious leaks proper fluid level. Make sure all your controls work. My dealership didn't doe these things and it ended up being a big headache that took some time to correct some issues.

Here’s my question. Is there anything glaring I should be looking for on the bike before I take delivery?

Make triple sure that you check the panniers are fully engaged in their holders and the rear seat is fully on and properly latched.

Several people have had theirs jettison away with no warning. This is caused by inattentive attention to checking the mounting every single time before riding.

FWIW: Mechanics are the absolute worst at installing panniers and verifying that they are secured properly to the motorcycle. They are always in a hurry and hence so many bags that have suddenly flown away from the motorcycle.

Assume nothing.

Also, I would ask for a printout of my VIN from their dealer system, showing either no open recalls or campaigns, or that they have all been completed and when.

Thank you, both. Yeah, I read all the pannier issues here so I decided to let the dealer install them. Dumb pannier question… are they easy to swap on and off once they’re installed correctly?

I also asked them about the clutch master cylinder seals campaign. Will ask for a print out.

Hoping any problems that arise are minor and can be fixed during my break in service.

Thank you, both. Yeah, I read all the pannier issues here so I decided to let the dealer install them. Dumb pannier question… are they easy to swap on and off once they’re installed correctly?

I also asked them about the clutch master cylinder seals campaign. Will ask for a print out.

Hoping any problems that arise are minor and can be fixed during my break in service.
Just look carefully that they are properly fitted, and pull the rear seat an extra time to make sure it’s thoroughly locked.
You can also buy soft inner panniers so that you can bring your luggage without removing the hard panniers.

Dang. Gonna have the dealer show me how like I’m a toddler.

I strongly recommend John Wells elegant and simple solution.

With little more than a handheld drill, 2 D ring pin clamps, and less than 5 minutes, you can totally prevent your bags from going astray.

I strongly recommend John Wells elegant and simple solution.

With little more than a handheld drill, 2 D ring pin clamps, and less than 5 minutes, you can totally prevent your bags from going astray.

I’m going to do that. Almost lost a Trophy SE pannier in Oregon due to operator error.

John Wells solution is very similar to what we did with BMW bags that mounted on the loop style bag mounts.. A bungee buddy on the inner side of each near the rear and high, then a bungee cord from bag to bag to keep them on.

As @Mountain_Goose notes, the root cause of most moto-luggage unintended “dismounts” is, sigh, “operator error.”

I have been that operator. Twice. :cry:

Never happened on the Norge, which actually had a recall for top cases going AWOL.

Ah, but the V7 III and its C-Bow panniers. They looked good, but were — to put it kindly — sub-optimally capacious. :giggle:

Be that as it may, shortly after buying it from my brother — who missed his Norge and C14’s power — I rode it to Erie from home, a c.700-mile r/t.

Kathi caged it separately a day or two before, so I could keep my own “necessities” to a minimum. In the right pannier, however, I put in my new $400 (and still in its sealed box) Garmin GPS. I planned to up that when I got to Erie as a task to keep me from in-law chores. I also had a favorite tee or two.

I never found the time to fiddle with that new GPS, as I fixed screen doors and worked on other household chores the in-laws had waiting for me. Then, poof, it was departure time.

All went well until I stopped for lunch at nearby Edinboro, Pa. In one of those classic moments familiar to all Guzzisti, an old guy — yes, even older than I am! :rofl: — came up as I was getting ready to leave to say that he, too, “had one of them Goozies back in the day.” We chatted for a bit, but I was anxious to get on the road. I fiddled with this and that while he droned on about his Eldo back in the ’70’s, and showed him how convenient the C-Bow system was, etc.

You see where this is going? Yup. I did not lock that right-sider in place. :swear:

Twenty or so miles later, I discovered my error. Hoy fecal matter!

I backtracked my route through towns and countryside at low speed several times to the point that my return trip meter was over 400 miles! I also stopped in at every police station along that way to report the matter. The cops were surprisingly sympathetic, but realistic about it showing up. I finally gave up.

When I got home, I put ads in several local Pennsylvania papers, called the area PennDOT to see when it planned to mow that 17-mile or so section of road, and checked with (useless and uncooperative) Garmin to see if that new GPS had been activated.

Nada.

Two of my Guzzisti friends decided that any excuse would do for a ride, and so they and I rode to Erie, and then went back and forth over the route numerous times at crawling speed.

Still no joy, so we gave up, but, at least, had a great ride to and from on some delightful Pennsylvania back roads, visited billsbikebarn.com/, and generally had a fine time without any spousal supervision.

Here’s a slideshow of that unsuccessful hunt, tho most pix are about the fun, not the pannier pathos.

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Three-Guzzis-Go-to-Erie-More-Aug-2019/n-N4ZVB4

The point, of course, of this typically longwinded parable is to, as @scottmastrocinque warns, make sure you lock your panniers. Then, check twice; rinse & repeat.

Bill

My dealer showed me too. Managed to get them on and off all by myself until I didn't and one went poof somewhere in the Thames Valley. Manage fine now but I'm a bit OCD about checking the seat is firmly attached and the panniers are solid and suitable secured with a drilled through drop nose bolt.

Back