• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

adjusting valves

Bucky, they shouldn't torqued very hard, as they are just keeping the cover on and the oil pressure inside is light. I've been good with "hand tight." I know in some areas the factory torque specs are incorrect, but I can't recall if this is one.

Joe

As far as I can tell from the manual 8Nm is recommended.

But I would not go there - finger tight is better and if they weep a bit knuckle tight will do the job.

The other trick is to put the long end of an Allen key into the bolt head and use the short end as your lever - you will never over tighten a bolt this way.

I've never had any trouble just using one finger pressure on the end of an allen key, i've no wish to helicoil a stripped thread.

londonrob said:
I've never had any trouble just using one finger pressure on the end of an allen key, i've no wish to helicoil a stripped thread.

Same here, but I use finger pressure using a T-Handle.

mojohand said:
Just curious--do you see 8Nm as too tight or too loose?
Neither (sort off), I just have an inbuilt mistrust of tourque wrenches - comes from a bad experience involving a mate's Honda 750 four engine, a head bolt, a lever arm tourque wrench and a teenage Agricultural College student Mike.C complete with I can do it attitude.

After that humiliating and expensive experience I never use one on any bolt that is not mission critical (cost me many weekends laying pavers for a local company to raise the money to pay the local bike shop to repair the damage), and even on mission critical ones I prefer the "suck it and see" method of bolt tightening. The valve cover bolts IMHO are definitely not mission critical and in actual fact with a bit of "feel" you can tighten them so they don't leak and at the same time have more of a chance of saving the gasket from being a one use only as I am pretty sure that tightening them with a TW will compress them more than is absolutely necessary to seal the runny stuff in.

Just my opinion of course, and I will freely admit that you do need to have a level of "feel" that only comes from experience - but I learnt from "suck it and see" experience so no reason why others can't, and if you blindly follow a TW you will never get "the feel" and I can assure you one day you will break a bolt off.

I've gone through many, many valve adjustments on my 155,000 mile T3, and never stripped out a valve cover bolt. Have replaced a few bolts where I was not very careful to get the allen key all the way in & so partially rounded off the hole in the head of the bolt, but never so badly as to need anything other than the allen key to get it out. Never used a torque wrench, use a socket allen key to get them out/loose, a T handle to tighten back up, never twist very hard, just go back over them a few times to be sure gasket is fullly compressed. Generally reuse gaskets as well many times, never replace unless they tear. This bike has helicoils all over the place from my wanton & highly non-expert ways-but there is just no reason to tighten these particular bolts very hard. On these bolts, don't need no stinkin' torque wrench.

For higher torque settings, a torque wrench is indispensible, but for very small values a wrench can cause havoc because using a wrench you can't "feel" if the thread is unhappy and likely to strip. For M6 screws the advice to rely on the small leverage achievable with the short end of an Allen key is good IMHO.

Back