Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Advise on critical maintenance needed

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Kuzya, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Kuzya

Kuzya Tuned and Synch'ed

Guys, not having a trustful dealer around, I'm servicing my 12S on my own so far. Having the Guzziology and this forum, still have a mess in my head on a proper amount of maintenance. What works would you recommend to perform as a must please?
    Bike is a 2008 1200 Sport 2V
    20 000 km
    Regular oil/brake/clutch fluid serviced
    Inner spark plugs changed
    Valve clearance check every 5k

There is a chance that fork oil has been changed some 10k km ago, but unsure
    Dark garage parked - low UV environment.

Plan to:
    TPS reset, TB balance
    Gearbox and CARC oil change

Do you think I'd should change:

Fork oil?
    Fuel hoses?
    Brake hoses?U

Grease rear arm bearings?
    Fork main bearing?

Something else important to check on a 7 YO guzzi?
    Thanks!
    Alex

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Fork oil Yes
    Fuel hoses, probably not
    Brake hoses No
    Grease swing arm bearing if not already done, Yes
    Fork Bearings, maybe replace with tapered rollers, but the original bearing I believe are sealed ball bearings.

3. Android

Android Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Just replaced the swing arm bearings and all the rear suspension bearings on mine at 33,000 miles (53,000 km)
    so a clean and regrease = really good idea

4. Kuzya

Kuzya Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks!
    Anything else I oversee?

5. Kuzya

Kuzya Tuned and Synch'ed

Is there a way to make a "soft" fork oil change, draining oil while leaving the fork mounted? If not a clever idea, than another question: the service manuals for 12S show fork oil change procedure, but seems to be another fork. Pictures are not showing the top-placed compression/rebound setting screws and their connection to fork valves. What would be the really correct oil fork change procedure for my fork?
    Fork seems to be Marzocchi, black tubes, compression/rebound setting screws present.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  6. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

To change the fork oil, they must be removed. Not that difficult. As far as I know, the procedure is the same.

7. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

The only real/complete way is to remove them, flip them over and pump them out.
    Not sure how well this would work, but if you pull the calipers, wheel and the very bottom bolts that secure the cartridges, loosen the top triple pinch bolts, then the fork caps (and at that point you're most of the way there on just removing them), then push/pump the forks sliders up and down. It just might work (in theory). It will be a very slow process as it has to push past the bottom of the cartridges. Measure the drain if you do. It should be ~440ml. If you don't get near that, you'll have to pull the forks.
    I can't recall if there was a supplement to the Breva/Norge manual.

8. Kuzya

Kuzya Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks, Todd. Better dismount. But still the question is: how to change oil on this cartridge fork with minimum required disassembling. simple opening the top cap - unclear how to handle the compression/rebound setting screws...

9. GT-Rx®

It's been too many years to recall, but if the caps don't easily spin off, spin the fork tubes off the caps. And pump/empty out. It's pretty simple to do from memory.

10. Kuzya

Kuzya Tuned and Synch'ed

What made me curious here, to bother you with such a question, is: there must be a connection from screws for setiing rebound/compression damping to the cartridge. The screws sit in the cap. Simple cap dismount, without prior disconnection of the above mentioned connection should be likely to break something.
    Unless the adjustment screws are a pure pushing action ones, without binding to the cartridge.
    Is it a pushing action effect, or rotational one, for comp/rebound adjustments?

11. GT-Rx®

From memory, the caps are threaded to the top of the cartridges, so if it feels tight once you crack it loose, then spin the fork tubes off of the caps.

12. Kuzya

Kuzya Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks, Todd!
    If i discover more details - will post here. There are people around looking for same answers, but no definite parts-based infos to be found so far.

13. Kuzya

Kuzya Tuned and Synch'ed

14. toma nova

toma nova Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

15. Kuzya

Kuzya Tuned and Synch'ed