• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

AFR reading and O2 sensor position

Emanuel

Just got it firing!
Hello, does anybody know if there is a relation between WHERE the O2 sensor is placed and the actual AFR reading. Or put in another way, does the AFR reading change putting the O2 sensor closer of farther to the exhaust valve?

In order to get separate readings for left and righr cylinder on my B11 i used the "threaded holes" present in each header, a few inches after the header bend.

Since is a different position than the "usual" on the crossover, I was wondering if the values I get are reliable...

I didn't know the B11 came with two Lambda sensors, mine certainly don't. Are you intending to use twin sensors with a power commander and autotune?

You could always try both positions and compare, but unless you have leaks in the exhaust system, I would expect identical results.

The B11 does not have two sensors.

I am just using two WB sensors and data logging equipment to collect afr data.

Position is not important. The location of the single Lambda is there because that's where the pipes join and the "average" AFR is read from that point. As you state, using 2 x Wide band Lambdas in the position you do, is probably the correct way to do it - I also know of others who have gone down this road and put in the bungs accordingly.

A single Lambda is always a compromise for fueling, and that is why there is a table in the map to allow for R/H cylinder mapping on its own. Getting it right though is a black art - people have been chasing fuelling perfection for a long time and the results are many and varied.

Let us know your progress, Emanuel.

The position of the Lambda probe has to generally in a short distance in front of the catalytic converter.
As mentioned from Tony it has to measure the O2 concentration of both pipes after joining.

The other aspect is that there are endotherm reactions in the exhaust gas working between exhaust valves and catalyst. In order to adjust the AFR to Lambda = 1 (and only at this point the catalyst is able to convert NOx vs. HC and CO most effectively, the probe position must be very close in front of the converter.

The tip of the sensor needs to be in the axhaust streaming. Don't recess the tip out of the gas flow!

Best regards,
Ralf

It is recommended to place the 02's as close to the cylinder head as possible, to avoid closed throttle reverse-pulse air contamination. I generally install them within 6-9" off the exhaust port.

Back