Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Alcantara seat - opinions?

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Hagaik, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Hagaik

Hagaik Just got it firing!

Hi,
    I'm thinking about doing a custom seat cover for my V7II Stone in Alcantara. My concern is about how this material holds up to sun and the elements. Does someone out there have any experience with this?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I've never heard of the material so I did a quick web search. It appears to be UV resistant http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a9653/what-is-alcantara/ and passes the "Arizona test" so I think it would be worth a try. My only negative comment, is that it emulates suede, so moving your position on the seat may not be as easy as with other materials.

3. Hagaik

What is the "Arizona test"?

4. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Leave it in a hot car in the state of Arizona in the US. Not uncommon to reach 115 degrees F, or 46 C, or higher. It would be similar to being in the desert where you are.

5. Hagaik

Ah got it :)
    Thanks

6. drlapo

drlapo Tuned and Synch'ed

Good old Ultrasuede.
    I worked in a textile mill after school in the 60s and we had it in stock.
    I think its a plastic based material

7. Rox

Rox Tuned and Synch'ed

I have Alcantara on my v11 Lemans. Black with red stitching. I regularly spray it with 3M Scotchguard. Only fading I've really gotten was the red stiching. The black faded slightly but with the tone being brown instead of a purple it looks better than new. I'm in CA so it gets plenty of sun. When wet it feels a little squishy but you should expect that.

I guess what I'm saying is if you go Alcantara treat it with scotchguard.

8. King of Fleece

King of Fleece Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

It's my favorite material for a seat top.