• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

All electrics die when attempting a start

archercc

Cruisin' Guzzisti
So here is what it is doing right now.

I will turn the key on and the dash and parking lights come on as normal, dash does its checks thing. I push the starter button and I get a "click" from the starter motor and everything goes dark. Dash goes off, parking lights go off, etc. I turn the key off and the alarm light flashes like normal, turn the key back on and nothing. Go ahead and ride of on other bike and mess with it later.

Get home a few hours later and its the same. So I figure blown fuse. Pull all of the fuses to check and all are fine. But the act of pulling the fuses kind of "resets" the system and the dash and parking lights will come on again but if I attempt a start I get the click and all of it dies.

The battery shows up at 12.4v on the multimeter. I know motorcycle electrics can be sensitive sometimes but never seen this. Any ideas?

Your question is well covered here in a search. In short, check your battery cables for corrosion on all ends. If clean and clear, replace the battery.

I agree with above advice. Start at the battery connections. BTW, a nearly dead battery can show 12 volts on a volt meter. Charging a battery and load testing it is a better judge of ascertaining battery health.

Ok Ill start with the battery. Connections are definitely good as I coated them all in dielectric. I saw the non-starting stuff but nothing about the whole bike just going completely dark without any errors or anything.

Now to figure out which Shorai works best.

12.4 volts is not fully charged, in fact it is not even close to fully charged.
Those symptoms could be a number of things, including a dead / bad battery. That is where I would start. Charge the battery and see if it takes / holds a charge.
While you are at it, check the connections.
You may also want to read up on the Modern no start thread. There is much info on that and what you can do to resolve the issue. But a dead / bad / weak battery is still not going to work.

One of the things I do with my G11 every time I take off the battery cables is take a piece of sandpaper to the leads and lead battery terminals. They may be coppery but they're not Bright coppery after a while. Dielectric grease or not.

Stick with them all you want, but 12.4 volts is a battery that is not fully charged.
I had poor luck with a Shorai in my Griso. It worked for a little while, but as soon as I had cooler temps it would no longer start the bike. In fact, it pretty much did what you describe.

Stick with them all you want, but 12.4 volts is a battery that is not fully charged.
I had poor luck with a Shorai in my Griso. It worked for a little while, but as soon as I had cooler temps it would no longer start the bike. In fact, it pretty much did what you describe.

Since he asked which Shorai would be best, I think he is replacing an original, or AGM battery.

I'm replacing a yuasa. Their spec says that 12.4v is 55-60% charged.

So I borrowed a classic charger, pulled the battery, and gave her 20 minutes of 4 amps and its now showing 13.04 at room temp. If she starts fine tomorrow I may give a couple of hours round trip and take it in for a bench test.

Even if it does work I may go head and make the swtich. If I go away from Shorai likely it would be ballistic. I want small more than anything so I can mill a stand and put a tool kit in there.

One reason my Shorais haven't been junk is I have the battery conditioner and I regularly use it. The older models didn't have a circuit that charged the cells individually so if you didn't condition it once or twice a year capacity drops. Also, this class of li-iron likes to be warm, if it's cold turn the ignition in for a few minutes or try a start or two to warm them up.

The reason I posted was becuase I've never seen a complete death on a dead battery. If this is the case now I know that is how this controller reacts.

Never heard of Antigravity, but will try for my next one. You had me at made in America. I have always gotten about 4 years out of my batteries in my Harleys and I just replaced them before they died. Never waited for one to fail. I don't like pushing and don't have a kick starter. New batteries are cheap insurance IMHO.

Never heard of Antigravity
I stumbled onto them from my good friend of ArchMotorcycles.com was using them, as is a handful of Japanese OEM's now. I visit them regularly, and am always amazed at the testing they routinely do. Appreciate the business if you buy one.

I ended up going with another Yuasa. Wasn't really going to save enough space for a decent tool kit and dont really care about the weight.

If it is an AGM battery, make sure it is either factory filled or properly put in service. I have heard of issues with people not waiting long enough with the AGM batteries after filling. They must be given time to let the acid absorb.

If it is an AGM battery, make sure it is either factory filled or properly put in service. I have heard of issues with people not waiting long enough with the AGM batteries after filling. They must be given time to let the acid absorb.

That is exactly the issue. They even put a TSB out for it. Let it sit a couple of hours before u seal it. Over night is even better. Needs to absorb and gas off. If it is sealed before that you run the risk of it leaking if installed at an angle. Had a Yuasa in my Stelvio with no issues. Eventually went to a Motobatt for good measure but still have the Yuasa as a spare.

Back