• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

And so it (frustratingly) begins…

Order of operations Todd. Biggest Markets receive first product. Italy, Germany, France, Switzerland. Then the remainder of most of Europe, Asia & Australia, with the USA bringing up the rear...

When you only make 53 million in sales, you cater to your largest markets.

We like to think the USA is the best at everything but when it comes to buying Moto Guzzi motorcycles, we actually suck eggs at the bottom of the barrel. :p

Screen Shot 2022 11 10 at 103259 AM

Order of operations Todd. Biggest Markets receive first product. Italy, Germany, France, Switzerland. Then the remainder of most of Europe, Asia & Australia, with the USA bringing up the rear...

When you only make 53 million in sales, you cater to your largest markets.

We like to think the USA is the best at everything but when it comes to buying Moto Guzzi motorcycles, we actually suck eggs at the bottom of the barrel. :p

View attachment 27459
Those unit sales seem a bit low? I thought MG was churning out 10,000+ bikes these days?

I find the Italian sales numbers hard to believe. I recently spent 2 1/2 months living in Sicily and of all the big bikes I saw more than 75% were BMW adv’s then it was Japanese. I reckon I saw maybe 2 or 3 Guzzis. The north being more prosperous and closer to the factory maybe the numbers are different or are the Italians trying to tell us something? Maybe the BM’s were tourists? I didnt get the chance to look at their plates cos by the time I spotted them they were gone, me being stuck in traffic in a car.

Based solely upon my observations, all of Lombardy (the most economically prosperous region in all Italy), and especially Milan, is crawling with them. 😀

I find the Italian sales numbers hard to believe. I recently spent 2 1/2 months living in Sicily and of all the big bikes I saw more than 75% were BMW adv’s then it was Japanese. I reckon I saw maybe 2 or 3 Guzzis. The north being more prosperous and closer to the factory maybe the numbers are different or are the Italians trying to tell us something? Maybe the BM’s were tourists? I didnt get the chance to look at their plates cos by the time I spotted them they were gone, me being stuck in traffic in a car.
Hi, italian here, one very important aspect when buying a bike is the proximity and quality of dealers. Piaggio has very few dealers compared to the japanese brands, or even BMW, and also not equally distributed in the country. Piaggio has 93 dealers, mainly in the north and center Italy, BMW Motorrad 107, also biased towards the north, but less so.

The number of dealers is increasing and that’s good, but it will take some time to have a significant impact (and of course Piaggio/Guzzi must keep making nice, high quality and desirable bikes).

Also consider that BMWs, especially the 1200/1250 GS are consistently top sellers in Italy for years now, so there are a lot on the roads. Just in the last few years Guzzi came back on the top sales charts, thanks mainly to the V7, and also the V85TT, so there aren’t that many driving around.

I also agree with scottmastrocinque that, in northern Italy, thanks to many more dealers and a “proximity effect” to the factory, you can se a lot of Guzzi around, especially in Lombardy. I live in the ”lower” part of the “boot” and I can attest that, in the last five or so years, I see many more Guzzi around, especially V7s.

Precisely!

When you imagine 93 Moto Guzzi dealers for mostly the upper half of Italy, you see how pathetic our dealer network in North America is given the land surface it occupies.

If we were to be as well supplied with dealers as Italy is, we would literally have 350 of them.

Piaggio/Guzzi US puts such insane and completely irrational demands on anyone looking to become a dealer (like I have numerous times). For those who have researched it, one can easily see why they’ll never grow here if the current corporate people and “policies” stay as-is. The newest dealer here in coastal L.A. was forced to completely update his space under Piaggio demands and design, at his expense. For sure they are trying to put people out of business before they start.
I loved when a Rep sat face to face with me and told me to open a dealer in the worst possible place in SoCal by cluelessly pointing at a map because “there’s no dealers here” - yes, for a reason moron. Idiocracy at its finest.
This “MotoPlex” idea may work elsewhere, but simply will not work here. It’s not the correct fit for most U.S. buyers. They don’t want big, overpriced and showy dealers, they want clean and attentive ones that know the product and will take care of customers when problems arise. And the financial burden for warranty work that Piaggio puts on the dealer is also idiotic and seemingly borderline illegal. They have lost lawsuits over this, yet the “policy” remains.
I love the machines, and strongly dislike the business here in the U.S. My $.02.

I agree completely Todd.

We would both be outstanding dealer principals. I know this for a fact. However we would be financially struggling dealers just like everybody else.

It’s the exact same BS with BMW and has been for over 20 years now.

Both BMW and Moto Guzzi make the capital investment completely out of the realm of reality.

They insist on demands for outrageously expensive facilities, signage, interiors, furnishings and fixtures of which there simply is no projections of income sufficient to support the investment with any hope of return in investment, let alone profitability.

Warranty reimbursement is the scourge of every modern dealership motorcycle shop in the USA. The manufacturers take the lion’s share of the profits but allow almost nothing held aside for warranty work.

It’s another reason why the dealers hate customers who bought their motorcycles elsewhere. There is nothing to make warranty work worthwhile. Not even a customer - dealership relationship.

It’s just not a sustainable situation and it will never contribute to any growth or market penetration.

I believe the best thing would be a string of factory owned “mini dealerships”. Just a very small, old school type shop with like 2 employees.

They don’t need mega-mall dealers like Burt’s Motorcycles…

Bean counters with MBA’s, ruin everything.

I guess I’ll just keep buying and wrenching my own motorcycles as long as I can. If they continue on this path of trying to deny self-maintenance from owners, then I will continue to ride older stuff that can still be maintained by me.

Back