• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Anemic braking on V7 Racer?

rbm

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi,

Having only just recently got this bike, I'm not yet used to all the idiosyncrasies of the V7 Racer (or Moto Guzzis for that matter). My experience has been with larger BMW K-bikes. I am used to dual front disks with four piston Brembos per disk with the K-bike; a single rear with dual piston Brembo. There is lots of stopping power in this bike and even with the added weight of a full fairing, the bike stops rapidly. Braking feel at the lever is solid.

I'm finding the braking on the V7 somewhat anemic and vague. On the V7, I have to use lots of lever pressure to get the bike to stop rapidly. Normal braking is not as good as what I experience on the bigger BMW. Is this normal or should I be looking at the brakes? I'll mention that there are not many kilometers on the bike so maybe the brakes are not fully bedded in yet.

Thanks for the insight.

Robert,

The late model BMWs (since about the 2004 model year or so) have power assist brakes. The Guzzis don't. You will need to squeeze the front brake harder. There is plenty of braking capability there if you know how to use it. If you over brake, you can lock the front wheel since the V7 doesn't have ABS either.

You'll also fid that the stock pads aren't the shiniest tool in the box. Try swapping to HH pads from the FF type the bike comes with and bed them in sensibly. They'll make a difference.

Pete

This must be a "it's what you're used to" thing.

I've not noticed a problem with the front brakes on the V7, when I've ridden them. In fact, I thought the single 320 and four-pot was plenty for the bike, with good feel...

Like Pete says, throw a set of HH pads on it. Break them in gently, then check back.

My other ride is a BMW too, an R50 with drum brakes front and rear. Even though they were the best brakes made in 1958, panic stops are "relaxed." The disc brakes on my V7C are so much better.

It's all about expectations.

john zibell said:
Robert,

The late model BMWs (since about the 2004 model year or so) have power assist brakes. The Guzzis don't. You will need to squeeze the front brake harder. There is plenty of braking capability there if you know how to use it. If you over brake, you can lock the front wheel since the V7 doesn't have ABS either.
Thanks, John, for the reply. My BMW is an 88 model without ABS. I do know about the special characteristics of non-ABS brakes. The lever pressure to get the BMW stopped is small -- two finger braking is normal. The Guzzi requires more -- not much more -- but more than I anticipate. As others pointed out, it's a perception on my part and not a shortcoming with the machine. I will eventually get used to the bike and come to love it.

Cheers,

I also own a BMW with a twin Brembo set up and do not have any issues with my V7 Racers braking performance.
Most of the time, for normal braking I use two fingers.

I'll throw in my $.02... I used to Road Race a Honda Hawk (almost two decades ago already, sheesh), single rotor set up. With HH pads and a real M/C, it was tops/won three regional Championships. I can get you the beautiful new Brembo RCS master in a 15mm if you're ever interested, see HERE -- the M/C is the weak link/wooden feel of the system.

Thanks for the link, Todd. I'll keep it in mind as an upgrade in the future. I should actually stop farkling the bike for the moment and actually ride it! :) All useful input, guys...cheers.

Have only 800 miles on my new V7 Racer and love the brakes and the bike in general. I own several other bikes but the one that I used the most was a BMW K1200S I purchased new. It has the power assisted brakes and I have hated the brakes on the BMW ever since I purchased it. Brakes on the BMW work great on the highway but can get you hurt in slow or parking situations.
Bottom line I love my new V7 Racer its a keeper and I have more of a feel of whats going on when I apply the brakes.

Enjoy your V7Racer,

Pandaman

Thanks, Pandaman. I've had more time in the saddle of the V7 since first posting. As I expected, I've gotten a feel for the brakes on the V7 in that time and believe them to be well suited to the bike. Certainly the feel is much different than my BMW but they stop the bike well which is what truly matters. I also am really enjoying my new-to-me Guzzi and think it will be a keeper.

Back