• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Angeles Crest Reopening

guzzibob

GT Reference
At least parts of it, plus some or all of Angeles Forest, Upper & Lower Big T eff Monday-unless the potential rains on Saurday screw it up-which will be likely with any significant amount of rain given denuded hillsides. Found various reports inc Daily News quoting seemingly reliable sources. If the skies behave, I'll check it out on Monday, let you working guys know what I find.

In principle, absolutely. However, got a bunch of stuff to do, if I go probably around noon-a good idea given what the temps will likely be up there. Also, may be cold/wet. Let's communicate again Sun night, we'll figure it out.

Cool. I might be obligated to deal with some job-related stuff (fingers crossed) in the late morning, so I'll have to play it by ear. I think Ruth will want to come along as well as she really loves riding up The Crest. We had a great ride up there just a week before the fires, so it will be nice to get back up there ASAP.

guzzibob said:
In principle, absolutely. However, got a bunch of stuff to do, if I go probably around noon-a good idea given what the temps will likely be up there. Also, may be cold/wet. Let's communicate again Sun night, we'll figure it out.

Those of you who've gone up there today already know that it's extremely dusty. And while the lower end of the Crest has been re-paved, it's still got lots of gravel/rock, and probably will for some time. Also, there was some ice/slush in the Shadies. And, there are still a lot of active work crews on both ACH and AFH. Of course you see a moonscape, but there are also some small [new] green patches here and there.

I got up to Newcomb's around 7:45am (had to get back to work some time today). It's running strictly on a generator, and will continue to be for quite some time. Breakfast selection was limited: McNewcomb's or pancakes. Darren said that today was the first time in a loooong time that he was anxious to get back to work.

All in all, it's nice to be back, after almost 14 weeks of no access.

Skiped Angeles Crest and went to Oak Glen instead. Got a late start today and felt lazy, so off to Oak Glen I went. The fall colors are peaking just now, with just a little bit of snow on the side of the road.

hey seen you on Chanel 7 news on your guzzi

In-law stuff prevented me from going up there, but thanks Mike for the info. I think in any case the better course this time of year is to go up there no earlier than late morning, to minimize the ice skating opportunities. Looks like more rain next week, not gonna help any. Maybe I can get up there next couple of days, probably as good as it will be for a while.....

Just got back from a great 2-up ride up to Newcomb's. The Crest surface is really nice up to the Mt. Wilson turn-off, but as those mentioned who were up yesterday, a good bit of debris is still scattered here and there. Only had to dodge a couple of dangerous rocks though. At the higher elevations in the fast section, there was quite a bit of melting black ice in the shadows, so midday rides are in order from now until spring. The contrast between the burned up sections and untouched sections gives the landscape an eery, violated look, but new growth is already visible in the lower elevations. Ruth and I spoke to Lorainne Rowe, a blogger on Huffington Post and '09 Monster rider, about our impressions riding up and seeing Newcomb's. I guess we'll be quoted in her blog whenever she writes it up.

FYI, quite a bit of roadwork going on, so there were a few sections where traffic was being shuttled with pacer trucks. It will be a slow, semi-dicey ride up there for a while, I guess, but still worth doing.

Based on LA County website, appears Upper & Lower Big T, Angeles Forest closures have also ended. Anybody confirm that? CHP site says Crest open-apparantly end to end-but snow tires/chains required from 3.3 miles east of Newcomb's to Waterman ski area. Guess that lets us out. Think I'll stay away from anywhere near that until we get some thawing. I'm thinking Don & Rich can confirm the virtue of that position-they have the crash (with wives on board ) to prove it. Unfortunately, calling for showers all next week, so likely to get worse rather than better.

Angeles Forest, Upper & Lower Big T closed as of this morning yet again post rain-but now (5PM) no longer show as closed. If it rains again later this week more than a drizzle, I bet they would be reclosed. As for the Crest itself, earlier today said open past some mileage mark (10 miles from La Canada?) only with chains/snow tires. Again, at 5PM, now only says closed due to snow from Islip saddle (where 2 & 39 used to hook up, just past the tunnels) to near Big Pines. I'm staying away at least until it's been dry & relatively warm for a few days.

Back