• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Angry turn signals (or damn; wrong button again)

ett

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I've been riding Japanese motorcycles for three decades and have nearly 1/2 million miles on the street.
And my Griso I bought last month is my very first non Japanese motorcycle.

Since not only horn and turn signal switches on the Griso reversed as compared to Japanese switch gear.
It's also longer reach to the horn button on the Griso.

So I've been giving plenty of inattentive car drivers the "angry turn signal cancellation" when they violate my right of way.

I've been trying to practice using the horn button when on empty roads.
(I've woken up a few cows and horses. :mrgreen: )

I've only put 2,500 miles on the Griso so far.

How many miles or time has it taken other Guzzi converts until they began to instinctively use the horn button in emergency situations ?

I do not use the horn button "instinctively" in emergency situations. I use it after I have gotten the F@*k out of the way.
My bigger issue was honking when I meant to signal.
It did not take me more then a few thousand miles to get used to it (also many miles spent on normal bikes) but every time I ride one of my other bikes there is an acclimation period of a few button hits to get used to a normal bike (several of them are also Guzzi's) and then when I get back on the Griso he process is repeated. It takes me a few honkings of the horn when I meant to signal before I get it back.
But I have done worse, like different shift patterns. It is annoying but it does kinda make sense the way the Griso is,the turn signal button is more commonly used (at least by me) so it does make sense to make it the easier button to hit.
It could be worse, it could be a BMW. I was never able to get used to the way they do it when I borrowed my brothers Beemer. I am sure it also makes sense but I could not get it.

I used to own a R1150R, have 2 Japanese bikes and a Griso.

Whenever I switch from one to another, it will take one or two traffic light junctions to program my mind to operate the turn signals and horn switch correctly.

In an emergency situation, my thumb reflex will jump to the default Japanese mode so I will get a “meep” from the Japanese bikes, a left turn signal light from the beemer and nothing happen from the Griso.

BTW, I noticed MV Agusta has the horn switch at the wrong place too.

Phang

After 50k miles on my 2 Grisos I am used to the switch position.....but it still pisses me off that Guzzi chose to put the horn where the indicators are normally found. It's the only bike I've ever had that has that layout.I find the thumb stretch to reach the indicators if I have the clutch lever pulled in impossible and it's annoying that with the big factory tank bag on the horn sounds on full left lock. But I don't have any trouble swapping to my other bikes.....it's more important to remember which side the gear shift is and which direction it goes!

After 10000k on the Griso i find the indicator normal and at least i can see the indicator light which i couldn't on my Yamamoto, however still can't instinctively reach the Guzzi horn, but I don't tend to use the horn just raises my road rage better just to get out of the way and stay calm.

After five years and 40,000klm I still have to divert my eyes to make sure I'm pressing the right button. It is an annoyance :angry:

When first riding my Griso, I too was frustrated by the number of times I honked the horn when I meant to signal. Finally I had to start looking at the switches when turning, a habit that now causes me to brake early and take hard turns more slowly. The jury is still out as to whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. By contrast when on my VFR signalling and turning are mindless. Sooo.... :unsure:

PS The horn button also makes winter riding gloves a pain in the neck.

Whenever I hit the afternoon rush or find myself in a tight spot I never take my thumb away from the horn button.

Hi,

in driving my Harley for 20 years, I wasn't used in using turn signals.
My Harley doesn't have them, so I point my direction with my foot... :cool: It works... :p
Sometimes I drove the Yamaha XV from my wife, with the buttons "the normal way".
On my Griso, in the beginning, I first honk when I want to take a turn... :oops: than I use my signals... :?
Aaah, look at the possitive side effect, everybody is looking what you're going to do!! :mrgreen:

Ad B

Ad B said:
Hi,

in driving my Harley for 20 years, I wasn't used in using turn signals.
My Harley doesn't have them, so I point my direction with my foot... :cool: It works... :p
Sometimes I drove the Yamaha XV from my wife, with the buttons "the normal way".
On my Griso, in the beginning, I first honk when I want to take a turn... :oops: than I use my signals... :?
Aaah, look at the possitive side effect, everybody is looking what you're going to do!! :mrgreen:

Ad B

While at some motorcycle races last summer I noticed drivers sometimes use their left foot to signal to indicate they are going the the pits. Maybe you were a GP Racer in a past life?

Back