• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ANY IDEAS?

FrostBittenCanadian

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hello all, I have noticed in the last 500 km or so, ( Bike has 2700 kms on it. 1st service 1000 km and cam recall, 2000km, valves adjusted, TPS reset and throttle bodies synced. along with another oil and filter change.) a noise!. The noise seems to be coming from the engine, it is an irregular mechanical sounding tapping sound. I must stress it is not ,knocking, pinging or whatever else one wants to call detonation. I am familiar with the sound of detonation and it definitely is not it. The sound does not fit with the regularity of the valve train noise. It has appeared at idle, under acceleration as well as deceleration. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it's appearance or disappearance.It has occurred with the engine hot or cold. When it appears the tapping sound may occur 3-6 times and then it will vanish. I can start up and ride 20k and not have it occur. Next start it might be there or occur into the ride, It may happen 10 times in a 100k ride. The motorcycle performs without a hitch and the engine runs like a top!! Nothing seems to be wrong, other than the fact that this noise makes no sense and seems out of place. My apologies for being so long winded but I figured if anyone was to have any insight into this they would need to know all the parameters. Of course the bike will not make this noise at the Dealers, both him and I wish the damn thing would just break if it is going to ( without stranding me in the middle of no where... knock on wood) Broken can be fixed! Any help with this anyone might have would be greatly appreciated otherwise I'm gonna ride it till nothing or something happens and take it from there.
Signed WTF! FBC

Oh yeah, and since the bike runs and behaves normally except for this errant come and go noise, anyone think it's reason enough not to embark on the 1650 km trip I was planning to embark upon next week? Unfortunately the destination of the trip is going to be approx. 800 km from the nearest Guzzi dealer. A friend of mine there travels to Toronto to get his BMW serviced, a distance of 825 km. And this is why the sound has me spooked.
FBC

Obviously very hard to diagnose over the 'Net' but a couple of suggestions.

1.) Chack the nut on the end of the crankshaft hasn't come loose. This has been known to occur and the noise it makes is described as a 'knocking'.

2.) Check the rockers for end float. Apparently some bikes have a LOT of end float, I have no idea why. Not close enough tollerances at manufacture.

Any further info as to where in the engine the noise might be coming from?

Pete

hii to everyone..

i have the same prblem since i got my new stelvio abs. there is a noise from both heads..is not noise from valves..is like having some metal balls into a plastic bowl ad they are spinning slowly inside...i dont know how accurate i can be with that description..now i have 1000+ km and i am waiting for wednesday to service it ...

at first when the mechanicer listened to it said that it might be cause the engine is too stretched cause its new..''after the running in we will see'' ...

hope is nothing than loose timing chain or valves..or i dont know...

regards

Brian : Only problem with that is ,it does not occcur at a regular enough interval, If you were to start the bike and wait you'd probably over heat !
Pete: what was the end result with your freind you mentioned in 'noisy topend'? The nut you are talking about, is it the timing gear retaining nut? As for narrowing the area down to where it's coming from ,so far I've been unable to because it usually happens when i'm in the middle of traffic or a stop light. As for the excessive end float, what kind of effect will that have on the top end, I couldn't tell from the pictures in the shop manual.
Thanks FBC

PS; Pete if it was the timing gear nut, it would be RPM sensitive , yes? which the noise is not.

No the nut is the one on the end of the crank that holds the pulley on.

as for the end float problem? Not sure what happened on that, I think Milton was going to warranty the rockerboxes or the rockers, not sure though.

As to what effect it will have? I honestly wouldn't think it would have any serious impact on reliability or anything else. Mine doesn't do it but if it did I'd leave it for a while to see if wear was occuring and if t really bugged me I'd probably shim some of the slop out.

Pete

Pete

Pete: checked the torque on the Generator drive pulley nut, No issue there, will let you know what I find with the end float on the rocker spindles.
FBC

Hey Frosty, have you checked the oil cooler mount?

The little rubber grommet around the mounting bolt is a bit hopeless and could make an intermittent noise.

Hi Frosty

I dont want to sound patronising but, are you sure you are not suffering from engine noise paranoia?
I know I was, every little change in sound I thought the engine was gonna blow up.

Look at the facts:
Air cooled engine are noisy, Moto Guzzi's are noisier than most.
Since the cam recall, toching wood and crossing my finger and toes NO 4v engines have gone tits up.

Ok there are still misty dash boards, speedo sensors, nuetral sensors, speed sensors and CARC bearings failing across the range :( They will sort em out eventually.

Have you got:
Schuberth helmet, Ear plugs and riding with the visor closed.

If so go ride it like you nicked it ;) and enjoy every monment.
I have found the more I gun it the better it has become, same goes for the front brakes. Use em hard they work great :)

Loftyjohn

Yeah I hear what you're saying Lofty and I've wondered that myself, but just when I think I'm imagining it ( while underway, with my visor closed) I'll hear 'knock knock knock' and it doesn't fit the normal rythmn of the engine. I'm considering not going on a Northern trip next week because of this BS and confining myself to southern Ontario. Help is a long way away 10-12 hours north of Toronto. I think what I'm going to do is check the end float on the rocker spindles like Pete suggested, and Mike, thanks for the heads up I'll check the oil cooler mounting. After that I'll ride the snot out of it and if it breaks it breaks. I just think I'll do it down south here, not where you see nothing but trees with a ribbon of asphalt through them and some F!@#$%^ bear or moose might drop by for a visit. Oh and I didn't find you patronizing in the least.
FBC

Heh, Frosty ...

You know what? Guzzis come with something called character. Hard to define, but apparently it may include a poltergeist ;)

(or maybe she's simply pregnant? :silly:)

Character, yes that'll be it, just wait till something drops off.........QED

I had a similar noise on mine for a while, turned out to be the Hepco & Becker engine bars when the weld split, rubbing the two split ends with different engine revs.

Hey Pete, Mike et all: No excessive end play on the rocker spindles, and I had a look at the oil cooler mount, everything appears good. So I'm at a loss as to what it is. The last 3-4 times the bike has been ridden there has been no sign of the phantom knock! So what the hell it is/was I have no idea, we'll see if it stays gone. Gary ,I have the Guzzi bars mounted ,but it's worth a look. Guess I'll just ride it and see. Thanks for all of your thoughts on the matter!
FBC

Nope ,it's not the clutch chattering, that is what the dealer thought, when I took the bike round to them to see if they had any ideas, different sound, hera the clutch every now and again when the bike is cold , but not very often. Mike: looks like trip is off anyway, weather has gone for a shit, supposed to be thunder storms all week except Monday all over the province... screw that! Guess we'll take it one day at a time. Figures , I'm on Vacation.
FBC

Back