• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Any problems with Termig can on Griso 8v?

Trogladyte

Tuned and Synch'ed
Just wondering if anyone else has had problems, or whether mine is an isolated incident.

I had the Tremignoni on the Griso from new, as I never liked the look of the stock mating octopi arrangement. And all was well for much of the first year. But then, not long after the cam follower recall, the bike started missing and spluttering at high revs. Eventually it just refused to rev beyond 5k rpm.

This problem persisted for a good number of months, as after one trip to the dealer it appeared to be OK, but then returned a few days later. It finally took the dealer a very long time to locate the problem - I think half the engine, fuel system and ignition were poked with a number of sticks first.

But finally the problem was spotted - the honeycomb of the Cat in the pipe looked like it was a real honeycomb used by bees, and was laden with honey and capped with wax - the cat was just comprehensively blocked.

The orginal amorous mullusc silencer is ..er...gracing the bike again now, and I am wondering if I'll ever see a replacement pipe.

Any thoughts as to causes, or similar experiences?

Probably the result of the crappy plug caps arcing to the head. when this happens, even if it is intermittent, the unburnt fuel from the missed cycles will burn in the cat clogging it up.

Pete

Hopefully warranty will cover a new muffler.. but if Moto Guzzi warranty goes anything like how warranty goes at the place I work, they usually only want to pay for the part that caused the failure, not necessarily any parts that went bad because of the failure. For example, if a battery charger fails and causes the batteries to fail.. it is rare that warranty will pay for new batteries.

Isn't the cat removable on the termi pipe?
I only ask as i fitted a Quat d to my Griso and the supplying dealer told me not to bother fitting the cat. i tried it both ways in the end, and it does run a lot sweeter without the cat in the link pipe.

rebus said:
Isn't the cat removable on the termi pipe?
I only ask as i fitted a Quat d to my Griso and the supplying dealer told me not to bother fitting the cat. i tried both in the end, and it does run a lot sweeter without the cat in the link pipe.
I don't actually have the pipe now - but I don't think the cat is designed to be removable. That's not to say you couldn't get it oout of course, but I don't know how straightforward that would be on this can.

As i say i have no experience of the termi can and i know a lot of people on here say the griso needs the back pressure of a pipe stuffed full of cotton wool and god knows what else for it to run properly. i can only speak from my own personal experience and have found a free flowing end can to greatly improve my bike . it spins up a lot more freely has slightly improved mid range grunt still pops on de- acceleration ( which i find not unpleasant with a better sounding can).
If the cat is a fixed item on your termi it wont be a option for you to try though i guess

Stu

pete roper said:
Probably the result of the crappy plug caps arcing to the head. when this happens, even if it is intermittent, the unburnt fuel from the missed cycles will burn in the cat clogging it up.

Pete

+1 That happened to me and my termi pipe was fried, I eventually drilled the cat out, but broke the sound dampener in the end of the pipe (brain fart and cant think of the common name for em) when I was removing it. It had somehow fused in to the pipe. Anyway I drilled out the rivets on the end of the pipe and the fiberglass like packing was half melted as well so I replaced that and then the pipe ran nicely again but without the sound dampener in the end of the pipe (and no cat since I drilled it) it was way freaking loud. I think if I had the dampener in it'd be ridable.

Back