• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Anyone still happy with their G11?

Unleaded

Just got it firing!
New around these parts, but I've been riding for a long time. Recently, with two kids driving (and approaching college :blink: ), and a third nearing driving age, it became time to scale back for financial sanity. Personal sanity, however, is now in question, as I've been bikeless for several months for the first time in 20 years. My most recent bikes were both of Bavarian persuasion: R1200GS Adventure and after that, a K1300S. Both marvelous bikes - the GSA for sheer comfort and utility, the k1300S for refinement and silly crank horsepower.

But expensive. No problems with either one, but expensive to buy and accessorize. In the spirit of scaling back, but not so severely as to have NO bikes in the stable, I've been on the lookout for something with a more elemental experience.

And cheaper. :lol: I've long loved the looks of the Griso, but I'm now for the first time considering purchasing one. An 1100. It appears to be a fantastic value for a bike that allows me the character and simplicity I've been wanting, without giving up all sporting capacity. My question is simply this: are there many who are still satisfied with the 1100 and the 20-odd less HP? Don't misunderstand - I'm in this with my eyes open. I've had fast bikes. Crazy, stupid fast in the case of my last one. I'm not wanting or expecting that from the Guzzi. Ponies aren't everything....they really aren't even the MAIN thing - especially when it's an air-cooled-twin experience you're after. And I'm after that. But if you can have the SAME bike with power maximized, is it worth the several thousand dollar savings to ignore it?

To frame my question, I'm justifying here. My self-imposed purchase limit requires the 2v or something priced similarly....for now. In a year or two, who knows?

Thanks much for any light you can shed on the path of the hapless noob.

I can't answer your specific questions on the Griso, but when you decide on what to purchase, look at the classifieds on this site, and the MGNOC http://www.mgnoc.com/classifieds.html. Currently there is an 8 valve Griso on the MGNOC site. Being in Illinois, at least you have Rose Farm which is an excellent dealer.

Ibought my 2007 griso new in 2009.Loved the looks,still love it and if you can live without the crazy horsepower it will make a great allrounder.I love to work on my bikes so the griso is perfect.With a little reading and help from this forum I have learned a lot of how to dos.With just a little work you can have your cake and eat it to a little mor hp is ther to be had and by the way it handles fantastic for a bike of its size!Hope this helps.
Duc

The G11 is a fantastic bike. I bought mine in 2006 and did nearly 40,000km on it with o real problems. I bought one of the very first 1200's in the country and it has simply been better.

The 1100 has the advantage that it will respond much better to 'Old School' tuning techniques than the 8V motor. Some appreciable gains can be had comparatively easily with the 'old' motor. The new one? Much more difficult and costly.

If the 8V hadn't eventuated I would still be riding my 1100. I loved it to bits. When the 8V was launched though I had to have one. It was the first really *New* design to come out of Mandello for forty years a and I wanted to learn about it.

There is plenty of fun to be had with an 1100. Don't be afraid of that. But love it for what it is, not what it isn't!

Pete

Mr. Roper is right.

I still love my 1100. It's the same frame, suspension and all as the 1200, with about the same power up to 5000 rpm. It's a great performer on real winding roads. Though I sometimes miss the greater high-rpm power of the 1200 (which I've ridden), I don't think the 1100 needs it on the whole. It's superb around corners at high speeds, and at some point you have to say enough power is enough. It's enough.

We own both (G11/G12) and love them.
I prefer the 8V engine by far but the wife is totally happy with her trouble free 07 4V (only 10K miles though).

Pete mentioned performance gains on the old push rod mill and I wonder how it's achieved besides mapping etc...
You should try the 8V because it's a totally different animal and that's before Todd's tweaking with the ECU and such.

Very much appreciate the opinions. It's really a matter of convincing myself I can ride the 1100 indefinitely without longing for 'a little bit more" - which is, I think, a difficulty for many motorcyclists...always looking for the next thing. (Probably a commentary on today's society in there somewhere). :lol:

Moto has a great point in saying one has to draw the line somewhere. Exactly true. I can imagine,though, it being difficult to do with an 1100 when the 8v has so many glowing reviews and happy owners. That said, I'm still leaning toward the 1100, as I really intend to keep this bike. It's a classic in its own time, IMO. Eventually, if circumstances allow, I may add to the garage with another intended more for sport or touring. But whichever Griso I end up buying will stay. Just gotta make sure I get the one I can fall in love with.

Thanks again

There is a charm lost on the new 8V engine, which the 2V pushrod engine exudes. If you can find an 1100 with my mods (intake/exhaust mods and full fueling kit), you'll likely never ask for more power. The G11 I now own has close to 90 rwhp. The old owner now has an 8V. He says that he really doesn't notice any difference below 6k RPM, and I would agree with that. I say buy it, you won't regret it.

I LOVE my 8V, but I will always keep at least one 1100 2V in the garage.

I'm in a similar position to you bike-wise, Unleaded. I've had the stupid-power bikes and the sportsbikes (and the supermotos as well). I've also ridden both flavours of Griso and have recently bought a 2-valver. Initially I was slightly disappointed with the power - it ain't rapid - but you have to learn to use a torque-laden bike in the same way you have to learn to ride a 2-stroke, and once you've picked up on that you can build up a good head of steam that'll keep you entertained no matter who you're riding with. Put it this way, I'm not missing the raw horsepower I used to have.

And the chassis is steady but competent. This is a bike you have to roll rather than flick, but it'll cope with whatever you throw at it. It's a fabulous looking bike that brings a pride of ownership no rice-burner can comprehend - I don't know why Italian bikes are like this, they just are. Go ahead and buy one; only you will be able to decide if it's the sort of bike to suit you, but it'll be a pleasant experience finding out, and if you don't gel with it just sell it on and chalk it up to experience.

Had my G11 for just over a year,and it has grown on me enormously . Having ridden other V twins for years, it seemed a bit odd at first, then something clicks and theres no going back, although mine is really a second bike to a Buell X1. The Griso handles as well if not better than the Buell, and on some of the roads round me , can keep up with a lot of sports bikes in the twisties . Had to get rid of the stock Apollo V silencer though for a GPR . Weighed the stock can on the bathroom scales and it came up as fourteen pounds , the GPR didn't register.

Yes Yes Yes..The previous replies have all hit the nail on the head. In my opinion the 1100 's are visually stunning,extremely capable ,competent,reliable,easily maintained,easily modified every day / all day road motorcycles. If the aliens come and take away all the police.....put on a turbo!!! Seriously , these are damn fine motorcycles and the last ? of the 2 valvers...

Still thrilled with mine. I have added lots of "goodies" though - including Todd's complete fueling package.
I definitely do not feel the need to replace this great all around bike for more power!That being said, I have grown out of the "hooligan mindset" that a couple of my friends still have (that wouldn't be satisfied with this bike), and do not have to have the fastest accelerating bike, or be able to pull 100 mph, power wheelies ;)

You know, there are some really good perspectives here, and well stated - all of them. I very much appreciate the insight, as every one of you has more experience with the Marque than I. From my short association with Guzzi on the internet, as well as a (very) few Guzzi pilots I've met on the road, I'm impressed with the passion most folks have for their MGs. I love that. But then I have a real love for unusual bikes. Eccentricity adds to the whole experience of motorcycling, at least for me.

After my mental-rollercoaster of a decision process, I've (probably) bought a lightly-used '09 8v. There are a couple of caveats which should be minor, so the ink isn't dry by any stretch. Hopefully, though, I'll soon be the owner of a Griso, and I'm looking forward to the bike more than I have any in years, quite honestly.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back