• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Anyone upgrade rear shocks?

99sh

Tuned and Synch'ed
I haven't seen much aftermarket support for rear shocks, but has anyone fitted a Penske or Ohlins to this bike?

My only complaint on the V7R is the ultra plush and wallowing suspension. Looking to upgrade the forks with the AK20 kit but need a good set of shocks. I plan to email the guys at Traxxion to see if they can make something work if I send in my Bitubos for measurement.

I have looked a long time to make my choice and did not regret it : Ikon formerly Kony, they are really good (Motorad, a german magazine put it first among other choices).

I went with a pair of the Gazi Sport X. Had them load on a pair of 600 series springs (not the recommended 750) and that seems to work for me. I weigh 180 and never carry a rider.

I'm a dealer for Penske and Ohlins. Both are built to order and very pricey. The best off the shelf units (though they are sprung to your weight per order) is the Gazi SportX, info here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/produc ... pathway-16 -- It's the only one that fits/works to clear the frame rails.

Twin shock Penske info here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/produc ... pathway-16 -- though at quick glance, the piggyback reservoirs will cause a clearance issue on the V7, so it looks like just Ohlins for the high-$ versions.

If you're interested in any of the above, contact me direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Anyway to confirm whether the Penske 8983 would fit with no issue?

The look close to the V7R shock, why do you believe these won't fit?

99sh said:
Anyway to confirm whether the Penske 8983 would fit with no issue? The look close to the V7R shock, why do you believe these won't fit?
Measure the diameter of the shock at the top and the clearance to the frame, and I'll put a micrometer on my 8983s on my California to check. Usually there is an issue there. I can have them roll the reservoir out slightly to clear.

My bike is at the dealer at the moment to fix the battery discharge issue. I'll measure it when I get it back (hopefully in a few days).

I had one photo of my bike. Is the clearance issue at the piggyback reservoir or the shock body itself?

You mentioned shock body first, but then stated rolling the reservoir outward? From this photo, looks like there's a world of clearance around either piece.

picture1jyu.jpg

On your lower arrow of that picture, the shock body diameter has a tight clearance to the frame. It doesn't show in the picture, but when you get the bike back, you'll see. Compare the visual diameter/position of the top of the shock to the Penske:

penske8980twin_1338799944.jpg

Gotcha! I'll report back when I get the bike back.

Thanks for your input so far :silly:

I put the Gazi SportX on my 2012 V7racer and like them.

That being said, I found the stock rear (BiTurbo) to be very stiff and the forks to be very soft. Cornering at any sort of speed was difficult at best. I went after the forks first. Todd set me up with some springs and I bought some emulators from Racetech. Much, much better.

pokeyjoe said:
I put the Gazi SportX on my 2012 V7racer and like them.
That being said, I found the stock rear (BiTurbo) to be very stiff and the forks to be very soft. Cornering at any sort of speed was difficult at best. I went after the forks first. Todd set me up with some springs and I bought some emulators from Racetech. Much, much better.
Thanks John, I am a dealer for RaceTech, and I should have the V7 kit online here soon, now that our website upgrade is finally live.

yeah the front forks on the 2013 Racer just have no damping and wallow, the back works for me at 175lbs right now but maybe once the front is fixed the back will need to be adjusted as they are at the softest setting now. Keep posting on solutions, I am really tempted to see about fitting a GSXR 600 front end complete with real brake calipers since the stock brakes are also a huge weakness, but then again maybe I shouldn't be pushing my V7 Racer as much as I am :woohoo:

cytocycle said:
yeah the front forks on the 2013 Racer just have no damping and wallow, the back works for me at 175lbs right now but maybe once the front is fixed the back will need to be adjusted as they are at the softest setting now. Keep posting on solutions, I am really tempted to see about fitting a GSXR 600 front end complete with real brake calipers since the stock brakes are also a huge weakness, but then again maybe I shouldn't be pushing my V7 Racer as much as I am :woohoo:

Agreed on the brakes. I'm running a 4-pad Brembo 30/34 caliper from the 998R and a 16mm master cylinder. Brakes just fine now :)

cytocycle said:
... the back works for me at 175lbs right now but maybe once the front is fixed the back will need to be adjusted as they are at the softest setting now.

The problem I had with the rears was that I could get the preload and damping setup just fine for my weight (210 lbs), but I'd about get thrown off the bike if I hit a big bump at any speed. I started checking sag and discovered that my dynamic (race) sag was fine, but I had no free sag. The weight of the bike did not compress the spring at all. You find the limit of suspension travel real quick without free sag.

cytocycle said:
yeah the front forks on the 2013 Racer just have no damping and wallow, the back works for me at 175lbs right now but maybe once the front is fixed the back will need to be adjusted as they are at the softest setting now.
MSRP on the Fork Springs is $114.99, and the Emulator Kit is $169.95. I charge $120 for installation if I'm sent the forks. I've done several so far with good results. I'll put them online here soon.

Unrelated, Matris wil be offering some rear shocks and a fork kit here soon. Expect them to be pricey... but their products have been exceptional.

99sh said:
Agreed on the brakes. I'm running a 4-pad Brembo 30/34 caliper from the 998R and a 16mm master cylinder. Brakes just fine now :)
I bet, as a Brembo dealer; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/category/10-brakes -- I can get the 15RCS for $365 - and the 4-pad in silver or gold for $315, or they offer them in chrome(!?) for $479. Add a proper/mated rotor, and it'll be all you'll ever need.

Attachments

• 4pad-ch.jpg
    4pad-ch.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 360
99sh said:
Are you a Traxxion dealer as well? Looking to get the AK20 cartridges.
Yes, I sure am. For your V7?

hi,

i'm new to the forum and was wondering if i can trouble a kind soul with a V7R for some opinion and favor.

i) what do you people think about the stock V7R shocks? this one...
af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=45790

ii) i'm trying to fit it to my bike and on a budget constraint and found these shocks to be within my budget. i weigh about 170lbs with gear and seldom ride 2 up.
can i please trouble someone for some measurements as such
diameter of spring and eyelets where the bolts get fastened and length of shocks from eyelet to eyelet.

thank you very much. sure appreciate it.

Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on the V7! You are at the top of the range for these (stock/OEM) shocks. I have a pair I can sell you if you'd like, from my V7R. Contact me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Just fitted a set of Ikons to my 2012 V7 Stone. First impressions - much better than the standard Sachs units. 4-way damping adjustment and three-way preload adjustment.

Back