• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Anyone using the euro side-stand on their V7?

timothy st.john

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi everyone,

In as much as I can't use the OEM centre-stand without also acquiring the euro side-stand, I would like some info about the side-stand. Has anyone installed the euro side-stand on their American V7.

Failing that, can one of our European friends give us any feed back about the quality, strength, failure rate or lean angle on the device that comes standard on their Guzzi.

I'm given to understand that that is what is different about it; compared to the North American side-stand. I think DOT standard calls for a more...committed lean. Anyone have any other feedback?

Its currently only $49, but acquiring it in advance would take some of the sting out of buying the OEM centre stand (which has gone up to $269). Thanks!

Timothy St. John

I installed both the center-stand and the euro side-stand on my 2013 V7 Stone purchased in southern Pennsyltucky so I will presume it is a genuine U S of A, redwhite'n'blue Moto Guzzi and not some deviant, un-American, pretender motorbike. I found the build quality of the center-stand and side-stand to be good but the paint jobs were wretched. I had a very ... unfortunate ... instance with a rusted center-stand once upon a time in a country far, far away while being watched by all the sorts of people you do not want watching when your monstrous BMW crashes over side-ways in a gas station at the end of a long day. So I just repainted the center-stand and side-stand on the inside and the outside and everywhere salty yucky wet could ever possibly get. Process of installation was obvious and all the required bits and pieces were in the kit. Painting the parts to my meticulously picky standards took several days. Assembly took an hour or two because I'm really slow and I had to do a rope-trick thang using the rafters in my garage to hold the bike upright since I didn't trust having only a little sissor-jack under the sump. Center-stand works very well and side-stand works just like a side-stand is expected to work ... no extraordinary lean angles or any other surprises. I recall paying several multiples of $49 for my side-stand so that's a great price.

I installed both the center-stand and the euro side-stand on my 2013 V7 Stone purchased in southern Pennsyltucky so I will presume it is a genuine U S of A, redwhite'n'blue Moto Guzzi and not some deviant, un-American, pretender motorbike. I found the build quality of the center-stand and side-stand to be good but the paint jobs were wretched. I had a very ... unfortunate ... instance with a rusted center-stand once upon a time in a country far, far away while being watched by all the sorts of people you do not want watching when your monstrous BMW crashes over side-ways in a gas station at the end of a long day. So I just repainted the center-stand and side-stand on the inside and the outside and everywhere salty yucky wet could ever possibly get. Process of installation was obvious and all the required bits and pieces were in the kit. Painting the parts to my meticulously picky standards took several days. Assembly took an hour or two because I'm really slow and I had to do a rope-trick thang using the rafters in my garage to hold the bike upright since I didn't trust having only a little sissor-jack under the sump. Center-stand works very well and side-stand works just like a side-stand is expected to work ... no extraordinary lean angles or any other surprises. I recall paying several multiples of $49 for my side-stand so that's a great price.

Hello,

Glad you lived to tell the tale lad. You are exactly the person who can tell me whether the side stand needs to be deployed both before deploying, and in advance of coming off the centre stand.

The cheaper side-stand by Stucchi works with the Amercan side stand, but requires this synchronicity, and I am disinclined to be slavishly dictated to.

Thanks for this. I've been trying to find this out from vendors for ever with no success.

Timothy St. John

The combination of the center-stand (presumed OEM) and the euro side-stand works just like rational center-stand + side-stand combos are supposed to work: use one, use the other, use them both, use one and then the other, it's all good. Real normal. Sane. If everything worked like these do in unison, the world would be a better place. Positively Japanese in their design. (And I mean that sincerely since the Japanese brought many excellent qualities to the world of motorcycles. I am old enough to remember British bikes falling apart as you rode them and how Harleys were actually worse than Brit-bikes and how BMWs were so boring it was criminal. Harleys were so bad the Los Angles police bought Moto Guzzis !!!! And the rest is history.)

Combination of center-stand and original, USA-style, long side-stand was ... tangled. Either the center-stand trapped the side-stand or the other way around. I can't remember which had to be done first and then un-done last but the experience is what prompted me to purchase the euro side-stand at a fabulous price (for a side-stand.) For $49, you should just buy the euro side-stand and never look back.

I've got the American side stand and a Euro center stand. Yes, you have to deploy the side stand first, to use the centerstand.

No big deal.

Although for $49 a Euro side stand sounds pretty cheap too. I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing either path.

I have the euro side stand and it was a good addition. Noticed the American side stand and center stand wearing into each other, figured it was just a matter of time that one of the two stands would crack from the wearing into each other. I purchased my side stand when they were expensive, missed the discount, although the center stand went up since that item purchased, so maybe a wash, don't know for sure never did the math.
Some history on that American side stand. That all got started way back when BMW end up with a stand that would fold up if the bike moved forward a bit. DOT got involved and the feds with the nanny state came up with some forward force measurement test that must be met before the stands fold up. IN other words if you park with the front of the bike facing down hill the stand is design to not fold up, the Euro stand could not and will not meet DOT test standards. So put it on at your own risk as I did. As with all things the nanny state grows more out of control by the day.
Next up will be anti lock brakes on everything moving. Understand they have a big study going on with baby strollers, watch those things end up with air bags or something crazy like that.

Beware that when you add the Euro sidestand you need different hardware at the pivot point. I don't remember the numbers, but you should be able to find them in the parts list.

Hello,

Thanks for the extra info lads. I'm remembering my K75. I asume the euro side stand ships with the necessary mounting hardware. I think you have to remove an extraneous bracket before mounting it.

Timothy St. John

You can use the hardware from the American stand on the Euro stand. It shows a picture on the site of just that application. I called them and that info was confirmed. Don't know how this thing got started about needing other hardware.

I prefer that the nanny state tries its best to make my equipment safe. If someone wants to swap in a less safe side stand on their bike, it's their business. Requiring antilock brakes on motorcycles was a European nanny state idea, one that I approve of. If you want to disable yours, go right ahead.

I prefer that the nanny state worries about true basic safety issues and does not try to eliminate every possible issue or danger that someone can imagine.
A car or motorcycle that injures or kills someone for no good reason is bad. A car or motorcycle that injures or kills someone because they did something stupid is just filtering the gene pool.

Hello everyone,

I bit the bullet and have just received an OEM centre stand and euro side stand for my V7 Racer from AF1 Racing. I put the centre stand together (without trouble, it took 10 minutes) in advance of installing it. Note: A few passes of the file removed enough power coat to tap the parts into alignment using a soft-faced dead-plow hammer. The spring went on without trouble.

I rotated the stand against the now attached replacement crossmember into what translates as 'up' position (which bring the anchor points into closest conference), )placed the stand on the floor (its stable on its feet) and then stretched it out by gripping it with a vice grip and allowing my weight to stretch the spring down the half inch necessary to connect it. The stand is ready to go on now. I'll mount it to the bike this Saturday (being sure to remove the extra powder coat from those contact points). It comes with clear instructions,

The American side stand is actually attached to the crossmember bolt by a supporting bracket, so that will have to wait to come off when the centre stand goes on. The 'euro' side stand does no interface physically with the centre stand at all, because that bracket is apparently not required. I'll post again as soon as I have a sense of the interplay between the two stands. for those of you who are thinking about.

Timothy St. John

P.S. The euro side stand does not require any additional hardware, and therefore does not come with any. It reuses the OEM bolt.

Make sure that if you have aftermarket silencers that they are compatible with a centrestand......the aftermarket silencers I first ordered were not and had to be changed.
AndyB

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the heads-up. I hope that is not the case. By my reading of the available posts, that may have been a problem for people who tried to put the Centre stand hung for the Racer on other V7 variants. Do you have a Racer?

The geometry of every aftermarket silencer I know of for the Racer uses existing hangers, and the hinge point where this stand-stop/hanger connects is the same. In fact, the hanger/stand-stop in my kit is actually the Moto Guzzi chromed hanger that comes on the Racer, with an elongated arm sinply welded on.

I've got my fingers crossed.

Timothy St. John

Sounds like you should be OK - the silencer hangers had to be swopped around for the first set of aftermarket silencers I had, which was not possible due to the stand stop bracket being part of the LH hanger. Mine is a 2014 Stone
AndyB

Hi Andy,

Thanks for checking in again. I'll sleep a little easier for it, until I do the install on Saturday.

Timothy St. John

Hi everyone,

It has just dawned on me that my Zard exhausts have their own built in hanger, so I won't be able to use the stand-stop as it is included with my new centre stand. I guess I have more fabrication ahead of me. Its seldom easy. So much for a quick install followed by the reward of a ride.

Timothy St. John

Hello everyone,

I've just been down looking at the situation of making the OEM centre stand work with the Zard aftermarket exhausts. It would serve as a kindness to anyone considering getting the centre stand and aftermarket silencers if, like Andy, those of you who have put them on already could post the following information: 1.) Does the new silencer (specify Agostini, Arrow, Lafranconni, Staintune, Mistral, etc.) utilize a separate hanger plate (as opposed to having one welded on as my Zard's do). 2.) More importantly does that plate afford room to drill 2 holes in the appropriate location (if they do not line up with the predrilled holes) to allow you to attach the stand-stop with a solid 3 point geometry for vibration resistance. And 3.) When resting on the stand-stop (assuming it does so), does the foot armature still clear and reach around the new silencer without touching it. More to come.

Timothy St. John

Hi everyone,

Andy, you were correct! This centre stand's easy deployment very much depends upon continuing to use the OEM slip-on exhausts. I have spent the morning looking at how I can create a synergy between my Zard exhausts and the OEM centre-stand, and have concluded that its not going to happen without I undertake to manufacture a sturdy hanger/stand-stop of my own design. As you know, I am living the urban...dream now, and have no access to my fabrication tools, welding equipment,etc., so its not something I can entertain without great preamble of effort. As such, I may have a brand new, never used OEM centre-stand and euro side stand available for sale very shortly.

Timothy St. John

Back