• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Anyone with factory panniers?

Clifton

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Anyone with factory panniers care to share your thoughts on them? In particular how robust do they seem and solidly do they mount? For instance how are they when riding on say a rough gravel/dirt road? Bouncing and shaking or secure and solid? Does the lock hold the key captive requiring the key every time to open and close a lid? Or can the lids be latched closed but not locked?
The part # is different from the Mandello panniers, my guess that's just some small fitment detail but I don't know, nor have I even seen Mandello panniers in person. I've been waiting for aftermarket aluminum panniers but am wondering how long that may take, and I do like how the factory ones integrate when mounted and leave little in the way of mount showing when the panniers are off.

Ordered but no ETA. Also waiting on a center stand. I prefer the rugged look of some aluminum boxes but echo your sentiments that the factory units will integrate so nicely.

Some enterprising and talented person might take the mounting accoutrements and duplicate them with a 3D printer. Then offer those for sale so that you could attach them to any box with a flat inner face.

I received my center stand last week but haven't put it on yet, need to get the Airhead off the lift. The tall comfort seat I have on order is due "in the next week or so". It seems like accessories are trickling in for these bikes.

I have the V100s with factory panniers, done about 3000k's and they haven't fallen off. They are very secure but after reading on here that some people have lost a case I always double check the fitment. The ones that have fallen off is operator error, you have to make sure they are pushed forward hard and the rear seat has latched them on. Other enterprising riders have secured the lower fitting with a pin arrangement. You cannot remove the key if they are unlocked.

Thanks Kevin, and good to know they fit on very securely. The fact you can't use them unlocked is (to me) unfortunate, sort of like not being able to leave your door unlocked.

The fact you can't use them unlocked is (to me) unfortunate, sort of like not being able to leave your door unlocked.

You cannot remove the key if they are unlocked.

Everybody is making an issue with this. Why?

1. Take key to an established locksmith.

2. Locksmith makes a dumb (no transponder) key for ~$5. In fact, make 2, or 3 if you have all three cases.

3. Insert key(s) in bag(s) lock(s) and leave it there.

Now your luggage can be quickly opened and closed. The luggage key can never be used in the ignition, to start the motorcycle, ever.

Problem solved. ~$5 - $15

Because it's stupid and inconvenient.

Then why did you buy the motorcycle in the first place? Didn’t you check out the features?

They are designed the way they are so that in Europe, Moto Guzzi’s main market, your unlocked bags aren’t stolen off the bike.

I know this is a shocker, but the USA means bo-diddly to Moto Guzzi, BMW, and Ducati. They do not design for us because we are a spit in the bucket of their total consumers. We don’t dictate to the world contrary to our way over-inflated egos.

Caveat Emptor.

The only model Moto Guzzis that had that particular feature were the Californias with the bags that were bolted onto the frame.

If you want central locking, you buy BMW K1600, Honda Goldwing, or Harley Davidson FL.

What good does complaining about it do for you now? Nothing whatsoever. Why stew in your own juices?

I shared with you how to make the problem disappear like a fart in the wind for very little cost. Why not be happy for the simple knowledge?

Problem solved…

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Good Lord you're condescending.

I bought the motorcycle before it was even released because I thought I might like it, and I do.

The fact the panniers must be locked securely on the mounts to help prevent them falling off or stolen is not an issue at all.

Who's complaining? I simply asked "Does the lock hold the key captive requiring the key every time to open and close a lid? Or can the lids be latched closed but not locked?" Kevin answered it is held captive . So if I would decide to order these panniers I'll have to factor in pulling the tumblers and filling some tabs down like I had to on the ones on my V85. There are some things I like about the factory panniers and others I don't, same with aftermarket metal ones. I'm just going down my check list.

Correct me if I am wrong. But don’t the side cases on the Breva 1100 and Norge work the same way? I am certain the must remain locked.

Brett I'm not familiar with the Breva and Norge, but assuming they also must remain locked it sounds like that's just how Guzzi locks are configured on some/most of their luggage. For the California 1400 I had this was not the case, they could be latched but unlocked.

Correct me if I am wrong. But don’t the side cases on the Breva 1100 and Norge work the same way? I am certain the must remain locked.
Yes they do. A bit of a pain but I am on my third Norge so it must not be a deal killer. As for falling off, the Norge has a clip on the front of the bag that goes over a pin so it can't slide back. It can be a pain to slip up and over to take the bags off but I like the extra security.

I remember when when Greg Fields installed mine. He took great care to ensure everything was aligned and latches with little effort on the retaining pin. Now, my wife’s Norge, I almost pushed off the side stand when we first bought it and had finesse the alignment to make it proper once we arrive home. As for the locks, I have never given it any thought and accepted it for what it was.

The build on the factory boxes are great. They are Solid. My Stelvio NTX boxes are not as solid, but still good boxes. As long as Moto Guzzi is staying status quo, the build should be fine.

There is a tab in the mechanism that can be trimmed off so that the key can be removed locked or unlocked. I don't remember exactly how I did it but it is not a big deal to do it. The Segway cases on my V7 work the same way but no easy fix if any at all but the bike is only used in my basic area so I leave the keys in them and the keys are different from the ignition key. I also leave the key in the ignition, motorcycle theft around my town doesn't happen let alone a Moto Guzzi. Me and my Moto Guzzis are well known entities, no one would dare. But on the V100 having the same key for both functions would be a pain. Also the cases can't be removed without unlocking the seat, would the average thief know that the case key would unlock the seat and that the seat has to be removed in order to remove the cases? I hope this makes some kind of sense. Writing this while eating my breakfast Cherrios and blue berries doesn't lead to the most coherent musings.
kk

I have the factory panniers and like them. They are solid and well made. Fitting them to the bike is tricky - they need quite a shove. Same for removing them. But it’s a reasonable price to pay for what is then a hugely secure fit. The key issue that seems to have generated a lot of heat in the replies (!) doesn’t bother me at all so I can’t comment on that.

One observation which I haven’t seen from others (so it might just be me!) is that the panniers feel very wide. I haven’t measured and could easily be talking nonsense but I find the Mandello with panniers feels wider than my V85 did with its panniers. Less of an issue in the States maybe where bikers happily sit in traffic but in the lane-splitting UK a narrow bike is handy!

Thanks, yes I noticed for only 30 liter capacity the bags are deep making the bike appear pretty wide. Maybe for them to fit a helmet inside. Others have commented that securing them to the bike is a little "tricky" too but at least they fit securely as a result.

Two guys I ride with had KTM 1290 Super Adventures and while the panniers on them never fell off, there was a lot of play in the way they attached. It was almost comical watching the bags shaking and bouncing all all around on anything other than smooth pavement. One went so far as to fit an aluminum bar between the two panniers at the back to help reduce the wobbling.

Everybody is making an issue with this. Why?

1. Take key to an established locksmith.

2. Locksmith makes a dumb (no transponder) key for ~$5. In fact, make 2, or 3 if you have all three cases.

3. Insert key(s) in bag(s) lock(s) and leave it there.

Now your luggage can be quickly opened and closed. The luggage key can never be used in the ignition, to start the motorcycle, ever.

Problem solved. ~$5 - $15
With the no transponder key would someone be able to turn the ignition switch to unlock the steering so the the bike could be pushed away?

Not unless you have rekeyed your bag locks to match your ignition.

The bags have their own tumblers with a different key cut entirely.

Hi Scott, when I purchased my V100 it came with two barrels that matched the ignition, then when i bought the panniers I put the new barrels in them. Yes the panniers came with barrels so I have enough bits now to open up a locksmiths.

Back