RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Audace Oil consumption

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by anmagu, Apr 24, 2019.

1. anmagu

anmagu Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Hello

I thought I'd share this with you.

I startet a 750 km ride to slovenia last friday and arrived on saturday. After 600 km, the oil lamp popped up for a few seconds... I thought that it couldn't be too bad cause it disappeared again, might be just o .the minimum. After that, i appeared again always during start up for 2-3 seconds. I went to a guzzi dealer in slovenia...

We had to fill up 2.4 liters of oil to reach the maximum! Difference from min. To max. On the dipstick is 0.7 liters.
    That was 2500 km after the first service!

Drove home 750 km yesterday. Checked the oil again. No oil visible on the dipstick. I brought my guzzi to the dealer today. Again around 2.5l of oil in 750 km gone missing! He ckecked quick for leakes etc. Nothing. It still rides as it should, no loss of power, no funny noises, no smoking out of the exhaust, just no hints. Both dealers have used the guzzi recommended ENI 10w 60 oil.

My guzzi is still original, only exception are my mistral exhausts. The dealer said that in 32 years of being a guzzi dealer he has never seen such a thing. He also mentioned, that the oil pressure sensor pops up after +- 60% of the oil is gone, much too late.

He opened a warranty case and now i gotta wait. Still can not believe how fast and where all the oil did go.

Did anyone else here had an oil problem too?

Andreas

2. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti

Had my Audace since 2016 and it's never used a drop of oil even during the break in period. There have been stories posted here by those who overfill and the the oil ends up in the air box, but I can't recall any post of a 1400 using large amounts of oil (but someone else here will chip in here if that's the case).

I'm also struggling to understand where it has gone, if there's no leak and no smoke (and it's not in the air box), where else can it have gone. Have you checked for leaks around the oil radiator at the front and pipes to/from that? if it's losing a lot of oil there must be a sign of it somewhere. If it were me, I would have a friend drive/ride behind me on a trip to see if there's a puff of smoke under certain specific riding conditions (e.g. backing off/hard throttle etc), maybe film it too if that's possible

3. Didier

Didier Tuned and Synch'ed

I have a 2017 Calif. and it's never used a drop of oïl. I don't think this is normal not for a Guzzi, Harley yes...

4. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

The oil may be able to leave the motorcycle if the drain to the airbox is unplugged and the airbox is getting saturated in oil. It would pay to check the airbox, but even so not this much oil. I'm dumbfounded.

5. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Who did the service?
    If you did not do the service then did you check the level when you got the bike from the shop?
    Possible they did not fill it properly?

FYI: Don't try to keep the oil filled to the Maximum on the stick.
    Keep it at the half way point.
    Every Guzzi I have owned will drop the oil to that half way point soon after an oil change then it will stay at the half mark until the next change.

6. anmagu

My dealer's been a guzzi dealer for 32 yeara now. I fully trust him. When i brought my bike and told him about my problem he said "we only fill the oil up to 80-90%, never the full amount". And then he taught me about the airfilter etc.

So, i am pretty sure this isn't the problem. My bike just burns it... Somehow. I should try to fill the oil in the gas tank, and the gas in the oil compartment...

I will let you know as soon as i hear from him.

Trout likes this.
  7. anmagu

I ride alongside friends lots of times. Never heard a word about my guzzi smoking... Tbh, the bike is still on warranty. To get rid of this issue is up to the dealer and (even more) the importer. So i'm not gonna do test rides by myself

8. CCosby

CCosby Just got it firing!

I'm with Paul, I have a 2016 audace and it doesn't burn or loose oil, at least not yet(hoping it never starts).

9. anmagu

Update: importer told me to do another 500 km (320 miles?). Did half of it, oil level was 1 finger under the minimum again... Back at the dealer. Now i have to wait what the official moto guzzi mechanic of the importer finds... At least the importer is 20 min from my home...

10. Didier

Good luck.

11. anmagu

UPDATE

My dealers suggestion after taking the engine apart: the cylinders and/or pistons are out of the tolerancers. There's burned oil on top of the pistons, but it's that much, that it didn't even burn in properly, u can scratch it off by fingernail.

It's getting measured by a company specialiced in such things. And if my dealer is right, i am getting new cylinders and pistons.

Good News is: no damage to any part of the engine. Even though it was runnin 700 miles on a highway with too little oil, the cylinderheads loon like new inside and the oil was without any material.

Seems like i have gotten a Lemon, but it shows how sturdy those engines are

John L and groundhog105 like this.
  12. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti

There must have been a lot of smoke if it was burning oil at that rate.

13. Didier

I thought this happens only at Harley Davidson.

14. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

Andreas,

I had a similar thing happen when riding cross-country (U.S.). I stopped for gas and upon doing a pre-departure walk around I also pulled the dipstick and it showed no oil. I know that it takes a while for the oil to get back down to the bottom of the engine, do I waited for 30 minutes and checked again. No oil on the dipstick. I bought three quarts of 10W30 (only thing available) and rode 180 miles to the nearest Moto Guzzi dealer. When I got there, they noticed the oil level was fine (of course, I had just put three quarts in just before riding to their location). They drained, changed filter and refilled with 10W60 synthetic.

Later that evening the dealer owner called me and opened up a conference call with the regional MG rep. Neither of them had any idea where the oil could have gone that caused the original low oil situation. The next day I received a call from a MG rep in Italy. He also had no suggestions except that not enough oil was put in at the last change before I left on my trip. The correct amount was put in so the oil loss remains a mystery.

You are not alone... ;-)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  15. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

My 2014 used oil until I had over 20000 miles on it then the oil consumption stopped. But it never used oil like your describing.

16. anmagu

No, interestingly not. I have never seen, neither my friends who rode behind me.

I made these jokes too. Now my HD riding colleagues are doing the same to me.

Sounds pretty much like mine. Though i had to ride another round of 400 miles for Moto Guzzi just to be sure. Same outcome. Has this problem appeared again simce then?

I'm totally fine with buying some oil from time to time. But 2.5 liters every 750 km will cost me 50 Euros each time. And since its in warranty and oil consumption should be a thing of the past, they better fix it

groundhog105 likes this.
  17. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I agree. Something is wrong for sure with it using oil like that

18. kglm

kglm Just got it firing!

..my new V85 oil consumption was 0.6 liter/1000km -no visible smoking. Right plug very sooty.. Got new cylinder/piston on right side under warranty. Now it works!
    Reason for consumption was wrongly assembled oil ring -both rails and expander ring gap was in same placement :eek:

-KG-

19. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

So sad on many levels, but glad to hear it is all resolved. Thank you for posting.

20. anmagu

Update: cylinders and pistons were measured and... Everything was great, inside the tolerances. Since they have no hints, they're just replacing the cylinders and pistons...
    According to swiss law they have twice the chance to fix a bike under warranty before they have to give me a new one or the money back. Will get it back in a couple of weeks, ride it hard a few days. Changes are high that it's getting returned shortly afterwards...