• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Aussie looking for a new ride/upgrade?

Gigantor

Just got it firing!
G'day Forum Members. I currently own a Yamaha XVS 650 Classic which is regarded as a learner's bike here in Australia. It suffices for most of my requirements except when passing cars and trucks up long steep hills and mountains, loaded with gear for long weekends away. More cc's are required.

My next logical step was to be either a Yamaha XVS 950 or 1300. We do not get the Tourer or Deluxe versions here in Oz.

On my wish list, is for a bike to have belt or shaft drive, cruise control, ABS, GPS (which can be added) and bags (which can be added). If the bike comes with all these features, great! Though as long as the last two, bags and GPS can be added that will be fine. I currently use an iPhone 5 running "Navigator" as my GPS app, Bluetoothed to my Shark Helmet.

As I belong to a military motorcycle club and most of the Brothers ride HD Softails, Triumph T/Birds, a Rocket, a couple of 1200 Sportsters, an 1100 XVS and a couple of Japanese 900's. I am wondering if jumping to a 1400cc bike is too big a step? Power and weight wise? (High anxiety) One of the boys on the 900 Honda,(I think it is). Says that this is all I will need. I want to believe him, though have my doubts. It does not sound like a big enough of a jump. I also have a mindset of at least having the same size motor as the 1200 Sportsters. I have been riding since 2011. Though the most of my 13,000 kilometers have been done in the last 12 months with this club.

The only maintenance I wish to do is wipe the bike down after a ride. Put air in the tyres and adjust the mirrors if I have too. I have had my fill of working on machinery (PTSD, plus other mental health issues, it is a long story).

Also, to throw into the mix. The nearest dealership is over 90 minutes away. Reliability is a major want too.

Could forum members please advise on my purchasing a MG California 1400 SE Tourer. The latest model available at the time as I will be purchasing new.

Warm regards,

Paul.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
I've owned a lot of bikes over the years and the one main thing I always look at before I purchase a bike is the weight of the machine and the Cali is one heavy son of a bitch I've never ridden the Cali but I just don't like heavy bikes.
I did have a quick ride a Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 one time and that thing was way over weight and slow.
HDs are over weight also but in the end it all comes down to what YOU want not me lol.
You need to go test ride the bikes your interested in it's hard to get proper responses on a forum because what I don't like someone else Might not see as a problem.
You should check out the Triumph 1200 bonneville or 1200 Bobber this would solve your over taking problems

G'day Jeff,

You raise a good point. I find it helps to write (post) things down and then mull things over. A little while after having posted and time to think things over. I believe I will have drop into the nearest dealer and throw a leg over a California and see if I can comfortably have both feet on the ground whilst sitting and lift the bike off its stand. It is a little tall in seat height, 740 mm.

You are quite correct about weight being a factor. Some of the riders in my club can throw their HD's and T/Birds around like rag dolls whilst others have issues with slow riding Fat Boys. My 650 XVS is light when compared to all the other bikes, but also lacks oomph. I am trying to fins the best compromise.

Point taken on the Bonneville's. Though I am not into chain drives. It sounds like too much work for me. I want to do the bare minimum and leave everything else to my mechanic. It is just where my head is at the moment. I can not use my hands anymore. I am not physically disabled. I just can not use my hands. It is a mental thing. My hands and tool bag have led, taken me into danger too many times and I can not use either, hands or tools. It is a long story.

The bike also needs to take a good load. Full panniers, rear bag and a canvas swag, The Swag comes with 2" mattress, sleeping bag all rolled up in one roll.

https://www.southerncrosscanvas.com.au/product/single-dome-swag/

This is for trips away when catching up with other sub-branches (chapters) around Oz. The USA is big place and so is Australia when tripping between states and sleeping in the rough (caravan parks : ) I like to have a little comfort for my 54 year old bones.

The California ticks a lot of boxes and I do like its looks. You are quite right. Time for a test ride.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Warm regards,

Paul.

Hey no worries Paul my pleasure
Mate if you had a chain drive bike and lived up my way I would gladly do your chain adjustments for ya.
Its a strange thing how we can be paralysed not physically but mentally by some things but it's all ok it's just some don't Understand.
Buy the way I'm 60 but closer to 61 than 60 lol.
I've been blessed with youthfulness as I can do a lot of stuff at my age that others can't.
Anyhow take your time on your decision all the best Jeff

Sounds like you've worked through a handful of thoughts already. My input based on your desire to be hands-off, especially if you are used to one of Asia's best, is knowing that one of the Guzzi mottos (by most who own them) is "Making mechanics out of riders since 1921." Unless you have a desire or knack of digging into things, when say stuck on the side of the road for a flat tire, do you phone a tow, or try to solve the problem yourself? If the former, I would recommend steering clear of Guzzis. Even relying on a dealer can be hit or miss, as there simply aren't many of them, and not all are even remotely good at Guzzis.
All said, ride the 1400. It might just tickle your fancy. They tend to be addictive that way.
Engine size has little do with things unless you are tallking about having to move a large load, rider & gear, etc, so put that out of your head on engine size. Anything over 850 will get the job done.
Let us know if you get a ride on one and your thoughts.

Hi Paul
My input would be if the Cali 1400 suits you, buy something along the lines that Burnsie mentioned and spend the difference on Todd's fuelling mods and some extras such as the rear rack, screen deflectors and heated grips if not fitted. The SE is essentially the same machine with a different paint job, more bling and a passenger back rest that would have to be removed in any case to fit the rear carrier.
Regards
Rob
"Per ardua ad astra"

Paul, welcome to the forum. I have a couple of mates who live close to you. Roblatt (Robert) is at Naa Naa Goon and frequents this site, and LG is in Cockatoo (but not on this forum?, also ex military). Talking to owners near you may help. There will always be small things, but hey, these machines are Italian, and "quirky" and that's why we love them.

Having spent years working on and riding Japanese bikes before trying a 2007 Norge, a BMW R1200GS, a California 1400 and a 2012 Norge which I currently own, my opinion is if you want hands off you want Japanese or, from what I've read and friend's experiences, Triumph, Indian or Victory.
I currently have a 1998 Honda PC800 which is reliable and bland but a bugger to work on when needed. A 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 which has been trouble free other than the factory accessories that are junk and all have been replaced. As for chain worries I installed a chain oiler and at 12,000 miles I adjusted it once when it broke in and when I changed the tires the first time. The company seems to stand behind it as I had a recall and a new stator installed this past winter while out of warranty and no problems. Just a general recall because some had failed.
My 2012 Norge which has a laundry list of things I have had to fix on top of changes I made for me. I still like it but if you don't want to wrench I'd say no.
The BMW was OK but you have to have a dealer as they are purposely made to require a dealer for a lot of service.
The 1400 Guzzi needs some work initially from my experience to get it right then it is an average maintenance bike but not Oriental.
Most reliable bike I have owned? 1987 Honda VFR700F2. I sold it after 19 years of ownership. I really didn't ride it more than a few hundred miles a year the last 5 years or more. It had 60,000 miles on it when sold and other than regular maintenance I had to replace the water pump.

Back