• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

B11 rear shock adjuster

nel

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My adjuster knob just twirls in either directions when trying to adjust the preload on my b11 rear shock. When the shock worked you could feel the resistance to adjustment. Now it's stuck on max preload. I took the knob off it enages on a square headed rotating actuator which disappears inthe the shock body. As the actuator is turning something must have gone wrong inside the shock. Does the shock have to come off the bike to fix this? any ideas thanks.

thks for the reply. I guess i'm trying to justify replacing the shock for a Hagon thereby avoiding bike downtime to send the shock to refurb. I'm guessing the internal hydraulic preload internal to the shock has failed. Passed its mot though.

Not sure if the OEM Sachs shock has a mechanical or hydraulic pre-load adjuster. Did any fluid leak? If no, then certainly the shock would have to be removed, and at that point, so much is bad with the stock shock I would certainly recommend replacement. Watch off the shelf shocks as so much goes into shock set up these days, don't waste your money. Wait a little time for a custom built shock for your specs.

GT-Rx said:
Not sure if the OEM Sachs shock has a mechanical or hydraulic pre-load adjuster. Did any fluid leak? If no, then certainly the shock would have to be removed, and at that point, so much is bad with the stock shock I would certainly recommend replacement. Watch off the shelf shocks as so much goes into shock set up these days, don't waste your money. Wait a little time for a custom built shock for your specs.
Can't speak for the B11 Sachs, but the 1200 Sport uses a hydraulic pre-load adjuster. From the OP's description, it sounds like it is also an hydraulic adjuster.

EDIT - I think I made a SWAG in the above. I assumed the preload mechanism on my 1200 Sport is hydraulic because of the fact that it uses a knob similar to those I've seen on bikes with hydraulic preload. In retrospect, I suppose turning the knob could actuate a mechanical OR hydraulic preload mechanism. :?:

ohiorider said:
Can't speak for the B11 Sachs, but the 1200 Sport uses a hydraulic pre-load adjuster. From the OP's description, it sounds like it is also an hydraulic adjuster.

EDIT - I think I made a SWAG in the above. I assumed the preload mechanism on my 1200 Sport is hydraulic because of the fact that it uses a knob similar to those I've seen on bikes with hydraulic preload. In retrospect, I suppose turning the knob could actuate a mechanical OR hydraulic preload mechanism. :?:

The mechanism is hidden under a large ring on the shock itself. I assumed it was mechanical, but like you I'm not sure. I'm surprised nobody has even dismantled one and can comment.

BTW, the B11 and the 1200 Sport (as well as the Norge) use the same Sachs shock, well they're the same part number and appears to be the same when comparing by sight.

I thought about a Hagon £300 but the spring is only powdered coated not a plastic sheath like the oem. The oem still looks good no corrosion after 55000m and I'd don't think powder coat would last that long. I use the adjuster a lot as I carry a lot of weight 2kg a pannier topbox plus an old slapper of a pc on the backseat sometimes. I don't ground out even with 14st of me because I'm not a good fast rider. My suspension test is to bounce the front of the bike then bounce the back and the rebound is now roughly the same. Come the winter i'll get the forks and rear spring refurbed. A B11 is a great backup to a car in the summer at work.

If your considering replacing your shock then you'll only do it once, so stretching the budget for something better can be worth while.

I replaced the rear shock and the fork springs for the Hyperpro set up and it improved the handling a great deal. The only draw back you may find is the rear shock adjust ment which is done with a C spanner and has an allen grub screw to lock it in place.

When I fitted the Griso shock to my Bellagio (also having it revalved & sprung), I lifted my original mechanical/hydraulic preload adjuster, had it machined internaly to fit over the slightly larger Griso shock body.

At this point in time I just need a slightly shorter Ohlins 11 kg spring and I wont need a C spanner.

So I got a reply from a refurb. co. £100 but the preloaded is none serviceable. No point getting it refurb then if you cant adjust the preload. They recoat the front fork springs but I have to ask why? How long will a powered coated spring last against the plastic coated oem re. corrosion?

nel said:
So I got a reply from a refurb. co. £100 but the preloaded is none serviceable. No point getting it refurb then if you cant adjust the preload. They recoat the front fork springs but I have to ask why? How long will a powered coated spring last against the plastic coated oem re. corrosion?
I have a low mile/km stock rear shock you can have for £150 + shipping if you want one. Coated front fork springs? You lost me.

Back