• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bank Angle (tip over) sensor

bikegeezer

Just got it firing!
My bike was knocked over at idle (no damage) and continued to run, so I figured I had a bad bank angle sensor. But...the bike doesn't have one. The service manual says it's optional. The wires are there, but they're capped off, and there's no sensor or mounting bracket for one. That's a bit odd, because I thought the DOT mandated those things on all bikes several years ago. Hondas have had them since 1990. Any thoughts? Has anybody added one?

Stu

Most all of the big blocks have them standard. I've had my hands on the one for the Norge, but I'll poke around today on the Stelvio. If it doesn't you should be able to purchase and plug one in from the Norge. It wouldn't make sense that it doesn't, as the Stelvio has a higher probability that it may end up on it's side.

Might try Pinwall Cycle in Massilon, OH if you want one from a Norge. They have parted out several of them over the years. I got an abs unit for my 07 for $90 from them.

Most all of the big blocks have them standard. I've had my hands on the one for the Norge, but I'll poke around today on the Stelvio. If it doesn't you should be able to purchase and plug one in from the Norge. It wouldn't make sense that it doesn't, as the Stelvio has a higher probability that it may end up on it's side.
I agree it doesn't make sense, but it is what it is. You'll find the wiring plug for it under the triangular cover on the right side, just behind the various lumps of fuses. Damned if I could see a mounting bracket. I'll work with a dealer to sort it out.

Later Stelvio's don't have one. Stories about them cutting out the bike mid turn on ones that were not mounted properly (or moved by owners). Not sure if it is true or not, but frankly I would rather not have one if that potential exists.

Later Stelvio's don't have one. Stories about them cutting out the bike mid turn on ones that were not mounted properly (or moved by owners). Not sure if it is true or not, but frankly I would rather not have one if that potential exists.
Are you saying the pre-MY11 Stelvios have them?
When Happy Hands At Home modify things, all sorts of potential problems could be expected. If a person were trapped under a bike that fell over in gear and the engine kept running, that person could lose any body parts that got caught in the rear wheel spokes. That's the reason these tipover cutoff switches were mandated in the first place.

Can't comment on the pre MY11. Just know the post MY11 don't have one.
Yeah, I think I've got that much figured out. Just browsed the '08-'10 parts fiche and found it. It sells for $136 plus $2 for the rubber holder. However, AF1 claims the one for many of the Rotax Powered Aprilia twins is a viable replacement for less than $18, including the rubber. I'll call them on Monday and get the skinny on this. I own a '02 Caponord bought new that has fallen over once, and that part worked as it should. Never had any issues from it otherwise. Thanks for the replies.

Stu O

Last edited:
my 08 defo has one fitted as found out when I dropped it yesterday
Brooksy,
Could you please post a fairly close up pic of that sensor to show where it's mounted? It wouldn't surprise me if when they relocated the fuses to down behind the cover, they used the mounting hook originally intended for the tipover sensor.

my 2012 either didn't have one or it didn't work - once my foot slipped on wet mud and lost blance onto the grass no engine shut down - 2nd time slipped of the 4 inch garage apron while backing the bike, engine running over I went slowly holding with all my old muscles - no engine cutoff had to hit the kill switch. The final time it went over and stayed over about 200ft still running from where I laid holding onto a fine fiber of life.

Tipped my 13 over at the MTN Guzzi rally this past weekend, the red triangle was lit but the bike kept running. As soon as I righted the bike the red triangle disappeared.

Back