• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Battery for Breva

GrahamNZ

High Miler
Now nearly four years old and getting little use of late, the battery in my Breva hasn't long to live. Soon after a ride the Voltage drops to just below 12V when it shoul be more like 12.7V or even a little more. Yes, I do use a battery minder quite often, and the Voltage was measured at the battery terminals.

Apart from a replacement Yuasa, what batteries have been found suitable?

An Odyssey PC545 slots straight in, although you need to pack out the top a bit so the plastic cover screws down tight.
I just used a bit of polystyrene.
The terminals are reversed too, so the live is next to the left hand frame rail, doesn't get too close to it though and there was plenty of slack in the cables to reverse them.
Mine cost about £45 on e-bay and they live for years, and hold a charge much better than wet cell batteries.

Here's one i found on e-bay, you can get them cheaper!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ODYSSEY-PC545-DRY ... 7C294%3A50

These batteries are great and if you plan on keeping the bike for a long long time it's probably the last battery you will ever buy. I was told at by the manufacturer at their booth at the motorcycle show that the battery show be charged at a rate of no lower than 3 amper hours. I helped a friend install one in his bike and he let it go dead after a long Chicago winter. The next spring we took it out of his bike and used a car charger to bring it up to full charge, then monitored it for a week and it never lost any of it's charge. Worth the extra money but only if you plan to keep the bike.

Bob Bernstein wrote:
These batteries are great and if you plan on keeping the bike for a long long time it's probably the last battery you will ever buy. I was told at by the manufacturer at their booth at the motorcycle show that the battery show be charged at a rate of no lower than 3 amper hours. I helped a friend install one in his bike and he let it go dead after a long Chicago winter. The next spring we took it out of his bike and used a car charger to bring it up to full charge, then monitored it for a week and it never lost any of it's charge. Worth the extra money but only if you plan to keep the bike.
Are you sure you got it right? First of all, "rate" would be measured in Ampers. not Amer/hours. Second, I heard that low charge current is better for restoring a discharged battery. Maybe he said "no higher than 3 Amps"?

3ackok wrote:
[re you sure you got it right? First of all, "rate" would be measured in Ampers. not Amer/hours. Second, I heard that low charge current is better for restoring a discharged battery. Maybe he said "no higher than 3 Amps"?

Good on you for question this. There's a lot of black art when it comes to motorcycle battery care.

My favorite is to trickle charge the battery two or four times daily, one hour total maximum. Never lost a battery yet, despite months of inactivity.

As usual,

YMMV.

The makers of the Odyssey battery make it quite clear in their instructions that the charge rate should be no LESS than 2 to 3 amps.
This applies to all batteries made with AGM technology.
For this reason, I use a CTEK 3600 charger, which does everything required.

PS, just looked at the manual which came with mine.
It says that while a M/C battery tender, or low power charger will hold a fully charged battery at full charge, it will not recharge a discharged battery.

My recollection is the man at the show said -"no less than 3 amps' which is about what a car charger with a damper cuts back to. He told me that my motorcycle battery chargers really would not charge my battery properly. We used a car charger on my friend's battery
and that was the winter before last. This spring that bike started right up and just returned from a 1700 mile trip.

varta YTX20BS £68 from tayna.co.uk. Terminals are correct.Yes thae varta is 2cm longer, you just trim the plastic foot on the holder.

I think the carriage charges from Tayna UK to New Zealand might be a touch high Nel.

But I think there is also a Westco battery of the same size, and this is a sealed AGM type. Tayna's website does give all the battery dimentions, which might be useful.

Back