• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

battery issue 850 T3

pecheramie

Just got it firing!
My first ride of about 60 miles on my 850 T3 was great, until the next day. Acid on my pants! The battery was still charged up and no apparent cracks to the sealed case. But acid was all over the rear of the bike, especially the right side. Bike has a Dyna electronic ignition and the battery is new, although not the old style tractor sized battery. What could have caused this smaller, sealed battery to vomit acid all over? I havent been able to put a voltage meter on the system yet. Is it possible the battery is not capable of handling the charging system's output? Or is the charging system more likely to be the culprit? Any help would be appreciated.

Need more information. Size of battery you put in. How was it prepared, what is the charging output (volts) of your system.

First thing though, make a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid and wash her down, then rinse with plenty of water.

the bike was cleaned using an acid neutralizer, rinsed well, air dried, then coated with WD-40 until I can detail clean the bike (I have to store the bike out of town and my riding buddy handled the cleanup)

As to the battery and prep, it is an Exide motorcycle sealed battery (mechanic installed) which was charged prior to installation. I don't know the part number.

When I get to the bike, I want to check the charging system output. Not sure how to do this, as I don't have a shop manual. I have a local guzzi guru, but he doesn't work on the weekends. I am also going to get the battery details (model and specs).

This may be obvious but a sealed battery should not leak. Is it a lead acid type or an alkali sealed battery? If the latter, using a anti acid wash will only make things worse.

I'd be removing the battery and checking for cracks or damage.

If it is just a lead acid battery that is supposedly maintenance then a couple of things come to mind.

1. It is overfull.
2. The regulator isn't doing its job and the battery is being overcharged. This can be due to poor wiring or the regulator being cactus.

Back