• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Battery out question

andyals

Tuned and Synch'ed
Can I safely remove the battery from my Griso (have to re-charge it).
It has some charge left, as it all comes on with the key, but there's not enough to turn the engine.
What I mean is, if I do, will it all have to be set up again, programmed etc.
I really don't know where I am with all this modern computerised stuff
:oops:

The only setting you will loose is current trip odometer data and the clock. Nothing else will be affected.

Yes in theory it should be no problem at all, you'll just loose the 'short term' stored info - the two sets of trip details, the time.

Mine gets pulled fairly routinely, and I did hit a problem last Summer after refitting. Heading out I found that the mode screens would not work at all. Speedo was fine and both sets of trips started counting OK. Advice from the forum was to try a disconnect and reconnect.

Had to do that a couple of times before it sorted itself. Weird.

When a microcontroller's power is being turned on there is a specific ramp up timing of the voltage applied that needs to be followed for the internal chip reset to go as planned by the chip manufacturer so the chip starts executing its program as intended by the application programmer/designer (in this case the dashboard) or start running erronously corrupting odometer etc or not starting at all, remaining crashed until the next power up condition.

Under make-brake-make (in milliseconds scale) conditions when you connect the battery (or a poor quality power switch is "bouncing" upon depression), this voltage ramp up timing may be disrupted so the chip crashes on startup and never begins executing its program until power is off and properly on again.
You may have noticed such symptoms on other microcontroller devices, ie. tv remote controls, computer keyboards or computerized microwave ovens.
My Tassimo coffee brewer similarly crashed on power on yesterday morning....

Having parts of the dashboard working in such a condition shows that probably more that one chip run the dashboard so some crashed while others did not. Or the program started not from zero address and skipped some memory flags informing it of all the subprograms that must be energized for this application (dashboard) to be completely run properly.

Proper design of the circuit makes almost all such possible error conditions unachievable.
Reading of all the errors that have appeared in Guzzi dashboards in this forum I must say once more that the cicruit design seems not optimized enough to be called ready for production.

You could plug a 9v battery into the cigarette lighter to maintain a voltage while the battery is removed. This will allow all the settings to be maintained.

But why remove the battery? I've had no issues recharging a battery in place, all wiring intact.

Not a bad idea... a 9V battery in series to a diode to avoid a possible 9V battery overheating and even exploding if plugged in too long while the main batter is still connected. If the cigarette lighter plug is not after some ignition switch commanded relay that is...

kiwi dave said:
But why remove the battery? I've had no issues recharging a battery in place, all wiring intact.

Yeah I think I might do it this way.
I had a go at removing the battery today.
There are two bolts either side of the battery which I assume secure some sort of retaining housing.
These just seem to turn without coming out, so I left it.
No danger of a surge from the mains supply causing havoc if charging in situ ?

It will obviously depend on your battery charger, but a short surge shouldn't affect things greatly. Some battery chargers are very sophisticated, but the simple one capable of an amp or two is sufficient for most needs.

andyals said:
kiwi dave said:

Yeah I think I might do it this way.
I had a go at removing the battery today.
There are two bolts either side of the battery which I assume secure some sort of retaining housing.
These just seem to turn without coming out, so I left it.
No danger of a surge from the mains supply causing havoc if charging in situ ?
On my Griso the two bolts on either side of the battery are not what holds it in place. There are two phillips screws above the battery that secure it using a plastic bracket/clamp. Shine a flash light in there above the battery.
But I do agree that you do not need to pull the battery to charge it.

kiwi dave said:
You could plug a 9v battery into the cigarette lighter to maintain a voltage while the battery is removed. This will allow all the settings to be maintained.

Well i had the same problem. Energy to run the initial check on the dash, but when i pushed the starter button it would simply "click" and no start.

I had the temptation to recharge the battery in place, but due to my technichal fear i decided to remove it.

Removed it well, with no fuss, and recharged overnight. But when i put it back on, i think one of the terminals (right side) scratched the top of the metal (gas tank piece, but on the battery part, already out of sight when the seat is mounted) and chipped it! Grrrr, i got pissssedd!!
It´s small, but it´s still annoying when it happens to a new looking bike.

Good news is, the seat covers it.

Just my 2 cents. (it´ll never come off again, i´m buyin´an optimate! lol)

Best regards

You needn't be concerned on removing the battery - I have removed mine for charging, or other service work, and you only need to take the usual care when removing any batter on a vehicle with negative earth - remove the earth lead first.
I replaced the original Yuasa battery after 4 years as it wasn't holding a charge well, especially in the colder months. Well it lasted from 2006 until 2010 so I suppose it wasn't so bad. When it goes back in you get the whirr from the clock binnacle resetting, and the only thing you need to reset is the time. Cheers, Iain

Captain_B said:
You needn't be concerned on removing the battery

Yep, as I now know, and thanks for all the replies.
I now have an optimate trickle charger fitted to the terminals, which hopefully will help the battery hold out over the winter months.
At least the battery on the Griso is easy to get out.
:D

I managed to snap one of my lead connectors. It fatigued at the right angle bend, must have been a bit rough with it pulling the battery out on various occasions. Got round it by drilling a hole through the remains.

One to watch out for though.

Back