Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Battery Tender

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by ORGriso, Sep 29, 2013.

1. ORGriso

ORGriso Just got it firing!

Just bought a 2013 Griso and its time to put it away for winter already. The book says to take the battery out to recharge but I'm wondering if its OK to add leads to the installed battery and put a battery tender on it once a month as I have on previous bikes?

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Short answer is yes. However I don't recommend the tender to be connected continuously. About 24 hours once a month is sufficient.

3. cytocycle

cytocycle Cruisin' Guzzisti

Get a Battery Minder instead of a Battery Tender, as it will desulfate the battery also and make it last longer.

4. Oz1200Guzzi

Oz1200Guzzi High Miler

IF you have a Lithium battery DO NOT USE ANYTHING WITH A DESULPHURISING CIRCUIT - this will total your expensive Li battery.

5. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Worthy of a post for sure, but stock batteries are AGMs... for Lith-I batts, use approved charger or the Optimate I have on the drop down menu here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/produc ... pathway-11

6. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

I wouldn't leave it as long as a month, that small capacity battery can discharge in 3 weeks with the ECU drain, sooner if an alarm is fitted.
    Dischaging batteries usually kills them.
    And remember, battery tenders are not good at recharging a discharged battery. I have a CTEK for that.

But I now use a solar panel connected to my Norge, just leave it there. Haven't needed the CETK since then.

7. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Brian,

I've been using the method I described on my 2006 1100 Breva and all the other bikes my wife and I own. I'm still using the original battery in the Breva. My wife wanted me to replace the battery in her 2004 BMW that she purchased on 2003 (smaller battery) and I'm using it in my MkV LeMans. So, There isn't much drain on the battery and the battery in the Griso and Breva isn't that small. So now 7 years on the battery in my Breva, and 10 years on the battery in my LeMans. Am I doing something wrong?

8. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

My favourite charging method is to use a standard 1 amp (el cheepo) charger, and fed via a timer. I give it four doses of 15 minutes daily. Still running batteries that are over 10 years old, I think this method works great. :D

9. LaGrasta

LaGrasta Tuned and Synch'ed

This is great solution, no need to spend a bunch or over think it.

10. GT-Rx®

10 year-old batteries have a much higher (allowable) lead content then newer lead acid or AGMs. If your method works, stick with it until it dies... then you'll be stuck like the rest of us.

11. GT-Rx®

You can certainly leave it in the bike, but I would disconnect both +/- to/from the wiring harness, and hook the leads to the battery direct.

12. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Care to elaborate, Todd? I don't understand what you're saying here. I've also used the same approach on AGM batteries with no observed issues.

13. Oz1200Guzzi

Oz1200Guzzi High Miler

What Todd means is, usually the most inconvenient time for a battery to die, is when it does die. Look at it like this: If you are at the bottom of a hill, this is when your battery will die and there is no way of push starting it uphill. If it failed at the top of the hill at least you could get it going again, fairly easily.

Lead/Acid, AGM and Gel batteries are all good if looked after but apart from some obvious "it's not holding a charge like it used to - better put it on charge" type syndrome, they will often just die, just like that, no warning. And at the most inconvenient time, to boot!

Then you will be like the rest of us

14. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Not quite, Tony. I only use this method for bikes that aren't going to be used for a while, e.g. over winter. Any bike I have in use does not see a battery charger, since the charging system on the bike takes care of the battery's needs.

However, I agree with you on one thing, once a battery shows any indication that it is not holding a charge as it should, it's time to replace it.

15. falcor

falcor Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

I live in Central Texas and S. California... I just ride all year long most every day of the week. Seems to keep the batteries working. :woohoo: :whistle:

16. Oz1200Guzzi

Oz1200Guzzi High Miler

Frank, you are one of the lucky few...

17. Supaflee

Supaflee Cruisin' Guzzisti

Kiwi dave , I like your idea. It works well .
    I have a Vrod here which had a totally shagged battery due to a battery tender being left switched on for 4 months last year . The battery was a gell battery absolutely buggered it .
    I now use the very same charger on each of my bike's batteries , but leaving it switched on only for a day at a time , each month.
    Merry Christmas to Orl-a-yaz !!
    Supaflee

18. GT-Rx®

Dave, just caught this... new battery construction legally is not allowed the same lead content as those from even 5 years ago. So, newer batteries will not last as long. Two to three years seems about the norm with proper care. This is why I'm going to all Lith-I batteries. The ones I'm a vendor for here on this site tell me they should last ~10 years.