• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Before long, your local dealer will be a thing of the past it seems...

scottmastrocinque

GT Godfather!
GT di Razza Pura
So a handful of Mega dealerships around the world is supposed to build the Piaggio brands? I don't think so. What riders need is a reasonable distance between dealers, not a big megalopolis store only in a major metropolitan city.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Piaggio cannot grasp this concept. I think it is because the people making these decisions are NOT RIDERS. They do not understand what goes through a rider's mind when they contemplate the purchase of a new motorcycle.

Ease and access of a reliable dealer network is a critical component, not some old-school afterthought.

Having dealerships close by is what kept me so long in Harley Davidson. I always knew if I screwed up what I was working on I could always get parts or take it in. (Owned 14 Harleys over the years and often bought a new one just before the warranty ran out as I lived on my bike commuting 100 miles a day in SoCal to work + riding for fun on weekends and trips!. Why Piaggio has not partnered up with bigger corporations to put more bikes out there with more support is unconcionable. “Improve or die.” Every business must continually improve its customer value proposition ...

I won't be going to Douglasville any time soon. They do have all the farkly new clothes though. Wrong side of Atl for me.
They will sell bikes if they come off the price some otherwise they'll close. Hope they send the Tech doing the work to CostaMesa and not the owner going.

Guzzi enthusiasts of some years will remember how Piaggio early in its USA operations "lost" some wonderful, old dealerships by insisting that dealers having Guzzi franchises or wanting one had to accept the entire line of bikes controlled by Piaggio. Some of these makes were duds in the US market and some existing dealers quit selling Guzzis or declined to accept Piaggio's multi-line mandate.

Ralph

BMW did the exact opposite, insisting that dealers that had other brands, drop them in order to keep BMW. That backfired in their stupid faces.

Yup, Before my Guzzi dealer in Spokane closed I often checked with parts I was waiting on and quipped "Are you still waiting for tony to swim across the pond with the parts on his back?" Piaggio was impossible to deal with when it came to warranty.

I am in north central Wisconsin and I just bought a new 2022 V85tt from a dealer 200 miles away. I can accept the fact that Guzzi dealers may only be in big cities because of the volume of sales needed to be profitable. But how about service centers being located in small independent shops?

I am in north central Wisconsin and I just bought a new 2022 V85tt from a dealer 200 miles away. I can accept the fact that Guzzi dealers may only be in big cities because of the volume of sales needed to be profitable. But how about service centers being located in small independent shops?
I believe there are service centers in other countries. The problem for small independent shops is the cost of training and the needed factory diagnostic software support. You would need a considerable amount of bike work to justify the expense.

I believe there are service centers in other countries. The problem for small independent shops is the cost of training and the needed factory diagnostic software support. You would need a considerable amount of bike work to justify the expense.
It should cost the independent shops nothing. All necessary software and tools should be supplied by Guzzi free to increase their sales. The shops make money on the service. Even if its only a few a year. No service center should be within 100 miles of a dealer.

Last edited:
I switched from my Royal Enfield Interceptor to a V7III in large part because my town has a long time Guzzi dealer with a fine reputation for service. The Enfield dealer was a satellite shop of a huge multi-brand store down in Phoenix and as such treated Enfields like some throw-away loss leader.

I don't think my dealer cares much for the Piaggio "regime" but they absolutely do care about their customers. What a concept.

No dealer cares for any manufacturer. It’s an adversarial relationship at best.

Back when I started in the BMW dealership world, we had a 15% margin on a new MSRP motorcycle, and a 3% “holdback” that BMW paid to us after the sale of the unit.

A dealership could scratch out a living from that if you were frugal.

Then the margin was lowered year after year, and then the holdback was eliminated. It became a joke.

You could buy T-Bills and make more money from the interest than you could by investing that money in BMW motorcycles and accessories. At least the T-Bill notes are fully insured and the principal and interest are guaranteed.

It just boils down to GREED. Every manufacturer is obsessed with it.

It should cost the independent shops nothing. All necessary software and tools should be supplied by Guzzi free to increase their sales. The shops make money on the service. Even if its only a few a year. No service center should be within 100 miles of a dealer.
Unfortunately that is now how manufactures function. Every dealership, motorcycle or automobile, has to pay for the equipment, software, and yearly software maintenance fees. A friend of mine runs an independent car repair business. For one software package alone his yearly fee is 20 grand, and he has to have several software suites for the multi brand repair shop.

Unfortunately that is now how manufactures function. Every dealership, motorcycle or automobile, has to pay for the equipment, software, and yearly software maintenance fees. A friend of mine runs an independent car repair business. For one software package alone his yearly fee is 20 grand, and he has to have several software suites for the multi brand repair shop.
I realize that, but I am saying if Moto Guzzi wants to increase sales in the US, they need to do something.

I realize that, but I am saying if Moto Guzzi wants to increase sales in the US, they need to do something.

What most people do not realize here is that the amount of motorcycles that the factory can produce per year, is just about capped out. I doubt that they will be able to increase production capacity at Mandello, nor would they really want to. They build what they can build and they sell everything they build. For the most part, Moto Guzzi is chugging along like it should and exactly how they want it to.

Not always a hardscrabble existence to be a dealer. In 1965, I went to work as a mechanic for the just-opened Heyser Honda of Laurel, MD. The Honda franchise cost $6000 then and a bank loan provided that, but no more. Tom Heyser couldn't get the approximately $1000 that a BSA dealership cost, so I lent him that amount from my savings. In 1968 alone, we sold over 2000 new motorcycles (almost all Hondas) and the shop was doing very well, indeed. We expanded greatly to a new location in Laurel on US-1 and had a very large shop built to handle not only Honda and BSA but Velocette, Yamaha, Montesa and later Kawasaki, as well as Honda Power Sports. The BSA and Velocette franchises were secured for emotional reasons, only. We liked British bikes, warts and all. There was no profit involved. We employees were paid well and got anything the shop sold at shop cost. Our markup on Hondas was 18% over the Port of Entry (POE) cost and I was kept hopping doing most of the set up work on new Hondas. Given our very high sales volume, we had very good relations with American Honda. The shop sponsored Tom Heyser as a Can Am driver, campaigning a Lotus Can-Am car and later a Lotus Formula 5000 all over the USA.

Heyser Cycle (as it became known) had 11 total staff in 1965 with Tom and Dalles Heyser and 9 employees. 8 of us still are living and maintain regular contact. Tom is now retired but Heyser Cycle remains in business, managed by Tom's son, Will Heyser. It was always known as a happy shop and our customers picked up on that. The "bloom is off the rose" now in regard to the shop's sales volume and the marvelous sales frenzy of the 1960s has faded greatly. Now, it not an easy time to be a motorcycle dealer.

Ralph

Back