• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bellagio lubeoil consumption

Bellagio_MMIX

Just got it firing!
Hello friend Guzzistas,

I bought mid may 2009 Guzzi Bellagio Luxury (the two color painted Bellagio). Now I have driven 6000 km.
I have did the 1000 km service in near by authorized Guzzi dealer (oil change and check up of timings and clearances).
At about 3600 km point the Lubrication amount/pressure light started to illuminate.
I went to my dealer and we filled some 3 dl (abt 10% of whole volume) of more oil.
My dealer advised me that I should fill in oil every 2000 km.

In my ear this sounds bit much. :?: :roll:
(6000 km -> fill oil 3 times -> 3*3 dl ~ 1l <=> this is ~1/3 of the whole amount of engine lube oil)

Does anybody have any experience about this subject?

regards Matti

http://picasaweb.google.com/madz67/MotoGuzzi#

Hi ,
I bought a Breva brand new in 2007 and was concerned at the oil and fuel consumption, also the tappets needed adjusting every couple of months. I was advised that it would settle down after 5-10,000Kms, and it has. I rarely need to top up between changes now, maybe 200ml if it has been driven hard, also the tappets now only need looking at during the service interval.
Cheers Kevin

A couple of things.

1.The engine is stiill comparatively new but it should of bedded its rings in by now. I hope you didn't baby it too much when it was new. while running it in it is important to bed the rings in and the way to do this is to find a nice steep hill, (Shouldn't be too hard in Switzerland! :D ) and accelerate up it HARD in one of the middle gears but in one gear HIGHER than you normally would. This makes the motor work harder but allows the gas in the cylinder to push the rings out HARD against the bore which will help 'em to seat. Repeat once or twice and you're set for the life of the rings.

2. Even if the rings are bedded pretty well the Bellagio is a super-short stroke motor, (For a Guzzi) and LOVES to be revved. Don't try blubbering about at under 4,000 RPM. Apart from when you're in traffic try and keep the engine spinning above at least 3,750 and don't be afraid to find out where the rev limiter kicks in. The Bellagio motor is a GEM but it is definitely NOT a 'Cruiser' motor. It's a hot-rod motor in a cruiser look bike, a real 'Wolf in sheep's clothing'. Ride it like you stole it! It'll reward you for it.

3.) Oil should be checked frequently at first as new motors will use a bit but also the Bellagio still uses the 'Old style sump and dipstick. If you fill it to the 'Full' mark on the dipstick. it will almost certainly breathe some of it out, especially if you ride it hard. Most Guzzi big blocks up to the current 'Deep sump' models like the Griso/Norge etc. have a tendency to 'Find their own level'. If you fill them to the 'Full' mark they will breathe some out, (You won't notice it, the vapor gets fed into the airbox and burnt in the engine.). Initially the level will drop from the 'Full' mark quite quickly but somewhere between about half way between the 'Full' and 'Add' mark it will usually stop using any, or at least the rate at which it uses it will slow to almost nothing. Remember, you have over 3 litres of oil in the engine, if you 'Loose' 300ml it is of no consequence, there's plenty left.

I doubt VERY much indeed that there is anything wrong with your engine. Try my method of letting it drop and see if it stabilizes like I said. Just check it before and after every ride, it's not as if its an arduous task. I'll bet you'll find that that is what is happening. Even if it isn't the consumption isn't really what I'd call 'High'.

The light by the way is not an oil volume light, it's an oil pressure warning light and should NOT be ignored. The oil pressure light sender units are notoriously flakey and prone to illuminating the light if they get wet so if this occured in heavy rain or after a big wash that is quite likely the culprit BUT, if it isn't that it could be that your oul filter or the oil pressure relief valve in the sump have come loose or the relief valve may be sticking open. The oil filter should of been changed at the 1,000Km service and the new one should of been well tightened down but if you have ANY doubts at all it is worth dropping the sump again and checking to make sure it's tight and the OPRV is working correctly. Yes, it's boring and means dumping the oil, but its not nearly as boring as running your big ends and crank!!!!

Pete

my bella went thru oil after its first service, which was done by Roper :) topped it up slightly and all appears well :D Its done 9,500 now and is due for some attention...

FYI I put some Rizoma bar end mirrors on today - very nice & pix to come somewhere :lol: the stock mirrors just didn't work with the tarozzi clip ons :p

BS070B.jpg

got them from Bikecraft.net.au in Melb - expensive but great service & fast next day delivery

Back