• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bellagio tire

tone

Just got it firing!
On the Bellagio the standard front is a 120-70-18 metzler

My new wheel is a 17inch rim Alloy Recommended tyre 120-70-17

So i am thinking to keep the look of the bigger tyre what would happen if i went to a 120-80-17 Metzeler ME 880 Marathon Touring Front Tire
Would i screw up the handling.
tone

tone,
If you want it to handle like a Harley the 120/80 should be fine, If you want it to handle like a Griso stick with the recommended 120/70.

Mark

The standard tyre is bigger than the one i want to put on,So would have thought it would not have made that much differance ???

You're losing about 1/2 inch in ride height with the smaller wheel.
And that's about what you get back from the 120/80 tire.
So in theory your handing shouldn't change too much.

The only thing I can think of is that the taller side wall on the 120/80 tire may have an undesireable flexing quality.
You can remedy that by adding air to the tire, but then you might be riding around on something that feels and grips like a bowling ball.

The other thing you can do is to go with the 120/70-17 and lower the forks a bit in the triple tree.
This would get closer to stock ride height and steering geometry.

But it's all kind of a black art (at least for me), and you'll probably have to experiment.

I dont want to have a big gap between the mudguard and the wheel.i am having the alloys mirror finished.
And dont want a trails bike look lol.Hence the slightly taller tyre.
By going to the 17 inch rim i lose 12.5 a side or under the mudguard.The 80 profile gives me 10mm back.

tone,
As the priority seems to be appearance have you considered dropping the front guard 10mm +.
Shouldn't be hard to do with some spacers as it is not a structural item.

The bigger tyre is likely to slow the steering a little which would seem contrary to the idea of fitting the smaller diameter wheel which would usually be done to sharpen the response.
If aesthetics are your primary reason for the change then you will probably have to play around a bit to get the best handling result and the bigger tyre might suit you best. As Beaufort suggested you can play with the forks etc to retain your ride height if necessary but that should be done in conjunction with the whole suspension setup.
Why don't you try both tyres if money is not a major problem, it's not like the extra tyre is going to bust the bank if you have just bought a set of replacement wheels, the cost of a tyre is a small amount of money in comparison.
Personally I would start with the recommended tyre size and then try the other if the smaller one didn't suit your purposes, but my preference would be biased towards handling. Looks are important but no point looking cool if you are not enjoying the ride.
One last thought, Corsa Italiana is a UK dealer - http://www.corsaitaliana.com/ - who has done a number of specials including the Bellagio, I think they have used 17 inch wheels on the front, it might be worth sending them an email for their feedback on tyre selection. Some of the photos I have seen look like they are running a bigger tyre so it might be best to get the thoughts of those who have actually done this type of mod.
Mark

Hi Tone,

Its interesting, the owner of Corsa Italiana's personal bike is a Bellagio (coz they are such good brilliant bikes!). He has laced a 17inch front rim and and in order to keep the handling the same he has fitted the LUX suspension. The overall look of the bike is a lot lower than my Bellagio (standard black). He has a different front mudgaurd I order to keep the look. I do not know what tires he is using.

Rob

I know Corsa Italiana's bikes and really like the look.I think i will go with the 80 profile tyre.To be honest the handling of the bike bike far exceeds my skills.So a little off the edge will not bother me.
Worse thing that could happen is i have to buy a 70 profile tyre.
this is my bike at the moment.
Nobbyatthebradford.jpg

The alloy wheels are being polished at the moment.i have been quoted £120.00 for a tyre fitted and balanced.
And £15.00 to have the rear remounted and balanced so looks like i going to have save my pennies :)

I decided to go with a standard size tire in the end,Had a Metz Sport tech fitted in the end.
12082011813.jpg

Back