• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

BELLHOUSING LEAK.

GEO

Tuned and Synch'ed
After a short ride yesterday I noticed some oil evaporation at the botom and the low right side at the point where the bellhousing connects to the engine block.Looking more thoroughly there is also a tiny amount of oil at the drain hole .It does not drip at the floor, it's difficult even to collect by finger to see if it is coming from engine or gearbox.
Do you thing it may be something else or to be prepαred for major surgery?
The bike has only 4800km thats 3000 miles...................................Thanks George.

With cooler temps it could just be things are not sealing up as good. I have found that sometimes in cooler weather little leaks show up that end up going away once the weather warms up and the engine temps raise.

After a short ride yesterday I noticed some oil evaporation at the botom and the low right side at the point where the bellhousing connects to the engine block.Looking more thoroughly there is also a tiny amount of oil at the drain hole .It does not drip at the floor, it's difficult even to collect by finger to see if it is coming from engine or gearbox.
Do you thing it may be something else or to be prepαred for major surgery?
The bike has only 4800km thats 3000 miles...................................Thanks George.

If you remove the starter, you may be able to discover if it is engine oil, or gear oil. When you remove the starter it give you a good size hole to look around.

Reactions: GEO
Returning to this subject ,I removed the starter and had a glimpse inside, there seems to be a black residue at the botom of the bellhousing near the drain hole, I cannot say if it is containing oil,water,grease or else, the rest of it seems reasonably clear.
The thing is that looking at three more V7 II's two of them had the same issue (dampness at the point where bellhousing meets engine block) one of them quite obvious ,mine and the second one can be visible only if you drop a flashlight.
Please have a look at your V7 II's botom of the bellhousing at the drain hole and let me know about your findings.Who knows maybe Luigi used a lot of grease at the sheals,bearings etc. and it slowly comes off.
Thanks George.

At this point I'd recommend monitoring your oil consumption. If consumption gets excessive, that would be the time to go in and investigate. I'm suspecting seepage around the rear main, or the two crankcase halves, but this is a big job and unless it qualifies for a warranty repair, I'd run it.

Not 100% familiar with the makeup of the V7, but are you sure it is oil and not just clutch dust mixed with water. It will have also have a black appearance. Take some and smear it on some white paper. Should be obvious at that point. If it dries its water and dust, if it doesn't, oil. I would think you would see oil drops on the ground if it were leaking as is the case with some of the earlier 8Vs with the rear seal issue.

Thanks for the advise and ideas guys but the bike is going in for a full gearbox stripdown (engine out of the frame) at the local dealer.
Lets hope its just a faulty seal or Luigi's bad day and not a general issue of the V7ii's. I 'll keep you posted for the outcome ,in the mean time check your bellhousings. George.

An oil leak that doesn't drip. Strange.
That is some good dealer support, though.

There are 3 classes of oil leaks.

Class 1 leak is just wetness around the leak
Class 2 leak is where it forms a drop, but the drop does not fall
Class 3 leak is when the drops are falling to the ground

Source: Army maintenance manuals

Should I ever find myself in the military that could be useful. Just kidding, I will never be in the military. ;-)

Clearly the military don't ride Guzzi's. I accept it as normal to have some wetness at some seams, and only consider their class 2 and class 3 to be actual leaks.
Mostly I am just impressed that the dealer is tearing it down so readily for this.

Should I ever find myself in the military that could be useful. Just kidding, I will never be in the military. ;-)

Clearly the military don't ride Guzzi's. I accept it as normal to have some wetness at some seams, and only consider their class 2 and class 3 to be actual leaks.
Mostly I am just impressed that the dealer is tearing it down so readily for this.
A leak is a leak and there should be no oil in the bellhousing anyway and yes its a dealership that does what should be done in such a case.

Are you an old 63b?

If Custer had a Guzzi history may well be different. Think of any battle we ever lost and I'll wager we didn't have Guzzis there. Coincidence? I don't think so.

A leak is a leak and there should be no oil in the bellhousing anyway and yes its a dealership that does what should be done in such a case.
Yes, there should be no oil in the bell housing. So far I have not heard that there is oil in the bell housing. All that I recall was you said there is a black residue in the bell housing. That could be oil, but it could also not be oil.
I was just saying it is rare to have a dealer be so quick to tear something apart without a clear indication that it is A) required, and B) covered under warranty. I am not saying this is a bad thing, rather it is a good thing.

Well, my trusty 2004 Breva 750 with 43,000 miles "sweats" engine oil around the Starter input joint, and at the joint between the engine and clutch ("Bell") housing. This is a "Class One" leak (no drop, no leak).

The clutch does not slip, so I figure the "red rag" treatment is enough to manage the unsightly inconvenience for for right now. 'Geezer

20151026_Bell_Housing-m.jpg

The leak was gear box oil coming from the gear box seal (D32x45x6).The bad thing though is that seal similar to th V7's is a loose fit to the V7II's gearbox recession (you could feel it move before removing it and when fitting a new one.
Piaggio greece has allready made a note to Italy and we are waiting for news.I will keep you posted.

Back