• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Best speed sensor sealant and technique?

HACY said:
And the best possible sealant might not help when...

I took my bike to a local shop for a new rear tyre and asked them to change it as well. While I was waiting and partly windowshopping and partly checking from a distance how do they progress on the task, I noticed that in my horror at some time they had removed the rear brake caliber and it was hanging there and looking very heavy and supported only by rear brake tube tied to this thin speed sensor wire I had changed and sealed a few weeks before!!! :shock:

No wonder they break so often!!! :(

Next time you have your rear tyre changed, tell before the job that this speed sensor wire is a weak spot and the rear caliber has to be supported somehow. "Do Not let it just hang there!"

Sadder when you realize that you don't have to remove the brake caliper on the Stelvio to remove the rear wheel. There's plenty of clearance on the swing arm to just slide it forward and clear of the rear brake.

I got hold of a spare BAD sensor to experiment with. It has been setting in dry conditions for over 2 weeks and still failed to work. I wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven at 225F or so. Left it there all day.
That cured it.
Now I'll goop it up and hope it is a good spare.

Scratch my previous comments, the f**kin' speedo stopped working this morning as I left for work, and it wasn't even raining. I couldn't believe it, I'd spent the previous two days riding in torrential rain and it worked fine, then leave it overnight in the garage, ride about a half mile and kaput..... heap of Italian s*"t :angry: :D
I called the dealer first thing this mornining and was told they would order one, if my previous experience is anything to by it'll turn up after christmas. :roll:
When the new one arrives I'll fit it myself and try another way of sealing it.

fatal said:
Scratch my previous comments, the f**kin' speedo stopped working this morning as I left for work, and it wasn't even raining. I couldn't believe it, I'd spent the previous two days riding in torrential rain and it worked fine, then leave it overnight in the garage, ride about a half mile and kaput.
Seems it's not always necessarily the moisture, but the corrosion that follows, that kills it. The "re-pot" solution offered up by Steve B is now linked under the Tech tab at the top, or direct HERE. Enjoy.

Has anyone had the speedo fail for any other reason other than the sending unit/pickup at the carc?
I have a new one on order. (I hope it gets here before spring... ).. and just want to be sure that is what the problem is.

Took a look at the Registry thread and I noticed someone saying he had a "speed sensor recall" done. Was that a recall for all 2009 Stelvios? Thanks.

I've not heard of a recall for the speed sensor, only for the cam followers on early models.

John in PA said:
Last night I took mine off and worked the Seal All well into the cable entry, with an extra dollop for good measure. then coated the surface that mates with the rear drive and reattached it while still wet. I don't ride in the rain often, so I think I'll give mine the torture test with a garden hose and report back. that may be a while yet, as I'm waiting to reassemble the bike till my computer/PC-V stuff comes back from Todd.

The Seal-All product failed on a trip back from the PA Rally this weekend. The bike sitting in the rain all night killed the sensor. After about 70 miles riding, it came back on again. I guess heat in the rear drive dried it out. Time to tear it apart, oven dry it and fill with GOOP. I've also got a spare new one, but don't trust it to work without modification.

As threatened in my last post, I did the re-pot on the sensor with GOOP brand sealant/adhesive. I got a brand new tube of the adhesive so that it would be quite fluid. After pulling the original sealant, drying out the sensor with a heat gun (it was already working again--came on during the trip home after the rain stopped) I slowly ran in the GOOP, moving it around with a toothpick to moisten all contact surfaces, and especially worked it in around the wire entrance and exit. I filled the cavity to the top and let it sit overnight. This is a solvent-based adhesive, so there was shrinkage as it dried. I refilled to level and allowed to dry again. When mounting, I placed a small bead of red RTV around the mating surface (extra insurance??) and test-rode. Function appears normal electrically. I haven't water tested it yet, but this goop-stuff is REALLY tenacious, and I doubt there will be a further problem (famous last words?)

I have a brand new replacement sensor. It appears different in one or two respects. First, manipulating the housing does not seem to open a visible crack between sealant and housing as on the old one. Second, there is a tiny raised ridge of sealant molded in all the way around the periphery of the mating surface that looks like it's intended to act as a gasket when tightened down. I chose not to mess with this one other than to add GOOP to the wire entrance. I'm keeping it as a spare in case my *permanently* repaired one craps.
Has anyone had one of these with the little ridge fail also? If so, I'll doctor up the spare ahead of time.

My replacement has the "extra ridge"... it has survived several good downpours without a glitch. I did however, add some rtv around the wire and basically coat the entire exterior before installation.

Back