• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bleeding ABS

Guzzi-Leif

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have a 2012 Stelvio NTX with ABS brakes.
My rear brake needs bleeding cause it is full of air and I wonder: Is it the same procedure as older ones without ABS or do I have to include the ABS unit in the work?
Thankful for answer cause I am on vacation in Norway.

Brake bleed is the same as conventionally unless you are replacing the brake line or ABS pump. Be slow and methodical.

sort of stop by the dealer and have them cycle the solenoid , and pump during a conventional bleed....this is absolutely needed every fluid change,, I liu of this run it up a straight road and lock the brakes that moves fresh fluid throuhout the system when the abs activavates...use5.1 fluid the system will last longger

No
sort of stop by the dealer and have them cycle the solenoid , and pump during a conventional bleed....this is absolutely needed every fluid change,, I liu of this run it up a straight road and lock the brakes that moves fresh fluid throuhout the system when the abs activavates...use5.1 fluid the system will last longger
Not absolutely needed. Without cycling u will have a very small amount in the pump. Not an issue. Like Todd said, just bleed and go like they were normal brakes.

which if you do not activate the system the little that stays inside the valve bodies, and if (glychol based fluid was used dot 3 or 4 will attract enough moisture to cause the valves to stick and pit) over time if not moved through...this is what causes abs pump failures your choice the mew pump assy from MG is about $2600usd, or it can be re-built for $800. 20 bucks at the stealership or any place that does abs service or you can even get the bosch/conti abs code reader maint tool for under $110.

I just mention it as someone that was fucked by piaggio, and had to replace an abs pump control unit at month 4 of Stelvio ownership, I was lucky and found a unit from a crashed bike so it was less than retail but still very high.

The abs unit is not covered under the bikes warranty so be cheap and take your chances

which if you do not activate the system the little that stays inside the valve bodies, and if (glychol based fluid was used dot 3 or 4 will attract enough moisture to cause the valves to stick and pit) over time if not moved through...this is what causes abs pump failures .......

I have flushed brake fluid many times on ABS bikes and never activated the pump. It's just not feasible in one's garage. The amount of brake fluid inside the pump is so little, I don't think there is much risk of contamination and pitting.

A conventional flush (slow, methodic, high-quality fluid that does not introduce any air) is much better than not doing it at all.

With your logic, my two cars' ABS pumps should be falling apart - conventional flushing with DOT4 every two years and my wife's wagon with no ABS activation in four years / 60k miles (and only a few ABS cycles in my hard-driven sport sedan).

Unrelated, what dealer have you been working your warranty issues through?

Tom

Car abs systems are much more sealed than on a bike and moisture ingress is much slower, but abs control modules avg about 4-5 years even in cars if not maintained properly. many fail and people never know, a single sticking valve won't always throw a code till activation and a pump that is working but marginally IT is just in evidence when used aggressively, any moisture trapped in the system mixed with glycol based fluid breaks down into an acidic state, combine this with fluid boiling and you get etching of the components...contaminated fluid boils going through the valves and pump in abs units it shouldn't but it does on a small level from cavitation here and there as the fluid flows.

I ain't making any money off this advise so I really don't care how your system is maintained, I do know how many BMWs bike abs control modules I have delt with from lack of simple maintence, the Guzzi used the same units with very minor variation

Sorry, but that's not right. Brake fluid absorbs water, but doesn't react with it, and even if it were to do so, glycol reacts with carboxylic acids to form esters. I'm not saying that corrosion doesn't occur, but if it does, it's via a different mechanism.

Last edited:
water and the glycol fluids with heat form fatty acids, And the ph drops, test it this is the same issue we have had for years re-building the DS hydro suspension systems, till the 5.1 full synthetic fluids came out. I just know that when I test the ph test of old fluids they get lower over time when contaminated and heated, also see pitting and etching from cavitation in hydraulic components. as I said before I don't care if you maintain well or poorly, Hell use used motor oil for fluid or windex it only matters if ya don't want ta burn a few k$ at the stealership

here is re-build company that can save you a ton of cash when your abs unit goes tits up, I have used them quite a few times now and they do a good job.

http://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/

A whole lotta air coming out...
The pedal is much firmer now but my ear and brain whispers that there is air left in the ABS unit... A test ride will tell - is there rear brake I will be pleased.

now go for a ride and activate the abs system on the rear (straight line please) then stop at the side of the road and re-bleed, repeat this about three times and the air in the abs unit and its old fluid will be pushed into the lines where you can bleed it out, or cycle the pump with a service tool

Back