• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Blinded by the lights

I wear bright clothes, I like bright colored motorcycles, I do my best to be visible.
I ride like no one can see me.
I was taught a long time ago to ride with my high beam on, possibly in my MSF course. But I quickly found that as motorcycle headlights got better and brighter I was starting to piss people off, so I stopped. I do like being seen, but i really don't want to piss off people in cages when I am so vulnerable. Being in the right doesn't help when you are also in the ditch.

I hear ya. I started riding in the late 70's and after a near death experience with a car turning left in front of me middle of the day because he didn't see I started the high beam thing.
Still don't want to aggravate our 4 wheeled friends.... Or 2 wheeled.

Bringing this back around, are the lights adjusted with the rider in the seat?

Bringing this back around, are the lights adjusted with the rider in the seat?
The bike is only 10days old. They seem find with me on it , but with a passenger even the low beams get unwanted attention. I haven't adjusted them yet but will likley in the near future.

The bike is only 10days old. They seem find with me on it , but with a passenger even the low beams get unwanted attention. I haven't adjusted them yet but will likley in the near future.
OK, yes, the stock suspension is woefully under sprung. What is your and you passengers approx weight in street clothing? Having properly set/correct suspension settings/springs will help, or see if they can adjust it with both of you on the bike.

OK, yes, the stock suspension is woefully under sprung. What is your and you passengers approx weight in street clothing? Having properly set/correct suspension settings/springs will help, or see if they can adjust it with both of you on the bike.
Yes. She is a bit soft, I'm 200lb ready to ride. Passenger was 150lb. Luggage mounted but empty. My other son rode I front of me briefly and then fell in behind. When we got home he said the lights where unbearable. ( low beam with aux lights.)
Haven't messed with any adjustments yet. The bike goes in for its 1500km first service next week. When it comes back( and I've recovered from the $600 service bill) I plan on adjusting the suspension then the lights if they need it.

es. She is a bit soft, I'm 200lb ready to ride. Passenger was 150lb
So ~350 lbs is way out of the ~155-170 stock ready to ride set/spec from the factory. Max the preload both front and rear, and measure your unladen, static and ladened sag and post again. I suspect you'll find it to be massively out of needed range.

So ~350 lbs is way out of the ~155-170 stock ready to ride set/spec from the factory. Max the preload both front and rear, and measure your unladen, static and ladened sag and post again. I suspect you'll find it to be massively out of needed range.
Will do.

Ok I have to admit I'm a bit unschooled in the Unladen, Static and Laden Sag. So GT-Rx ... HELP. I did look up the settings in the service manual and set them to the medium loaded setting. How ever I'm a bit confused by the Fork Compression and Rebound settings. The manual says 1 turn out from tightened.... for all preload settings?

Any very short wheelbase vehicle will suffer from light alignment with even a small change of load. May be nothing to do with suspension settings.
All my 4 wheel vehicles have remote control for headlight vertical alignment, about time bikes had the same. It would have been easy to do on models like the Norge where the individual reflectors are moved by screws.

It is impossible to alter the lighting for when loading changes currently, half the front end has to be dismantled to get at the adjusters, certainly nothing could be done at the roadside.

Any very short wheelbase vehicle will suffer from light alignment with even a small change of load. May be nothing to do with suspension settings.
All my 4 wheel vehicles have remote control for headlight vertical alignment, about time bikes had the same. It would have been easy to do on models like the Norge where the individual reflectors are moved by screws.

It is impossible to alter the lighting for when loading changes currently, half the front end has to be dismantled to get at the adjusters, certainly nothing could be done at the roadside.
You are correct. My 09 Concours 1400 had a adjustment knob for each headlight. They were to the right and left of the dash pod. Very easy to get to and adjust.

Ok I have to admit I'm a bit unschooled in the Unladen, Static and Laden Sag. So GT-Rx ... HELP. I did look up the settings in the service manual and set them to the medium loaded setting. How ever I'm a bit confused by the Fork Compression and Rebound settings. The manual says 1 turn out from tightened.... for all preload settings?

I played with the compression and rebound and it helps...a little. I set my rebound to what the book says and my compression 2 extra turns. For my front preload do what the manual says plus 2 extra turns in. This dramatically reduces the front end dive on mine. Once adjusted, I rarely will adjust the front end even when riding two up.

For the rear, for single riding I run it to where you can just see the top of the "S" triangle exposed (don't recall how many clicks but believe it was something like the medium setting plus 6 clicks). When I ride two up I move it 8 clicks up from that point. I run 230lb with gear and have never had a problem with bottoming out, performance, wallowing or blinding someone with lights. The quick check I do for the rear suspension is I know I touch the ground with the balls of my feet. If I put another person on the bike I just increase it to get it back to the same stance.

Ideally you will want to set the sag to the proper distances for front and rear, but that is a different conversation. The above settings will get you in the ball park to start. If you want to know how to do it and more information on suspension setup, RaceTech is a great resources. There are also many other good resources on the net including videos.

http://racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm

Back