Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Break in period for V7?

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Dayve, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Dayve

Dayve Moto Enguzziast

I see a lot of posts about a break in period, and assume it is like a car, you want to take it easy for the first 500 miles or so, to let the pistons set, etc.? What all should I be doing or not doing on the break in period for a V7III?

2. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

Yes, it's much like the initial running in period with a car.

The first 1000km (about 600 miles) you should avoid revving it over 4500 rpm, running it for too long at a single rpm speed, and work the transmission, clutch, and brakes gradually to let everything bed in. As you approach that 600 mile point, rev it a little more past 4500rpm, in stages. The first service at the end of that period is critical, and should be a *full* service: change all the lubricants in engine, transmission, and rear drive, change the engine oil filter, adjust the valves, and check *everything* on the bike to assure that all critical fasteners are properly torqued and all adjustments (clutch cable, etc) are spot on.

Then my advice is to continue the break in through 1000 miles (to about 1600 km) gradually pushing the engine to red line and feeling how it's running. On my Racer, it was quite clear that at about 800-900 miles it just started to run and rev more sweetly: it'd passed some critical running-in threshold and was ready to be used to the full.

Moto Guzzi transmissions are very robust, in general, and often take even a while past that to fully run in and reach their optimum smoothness. My Racer is almost there at about 4500 miles; my 1989 LeMans
    Mark V wasn't really fully run in on the transmission until past 10,000 miles. :)

G

Dayve likes this.
  3. Dayve

Dayve Moto Enguzziast

Ok, good information. I wish the V7 Carbon had a Tach. Does Todd do the incremental services over in Orange? Would the bike I am getting have the bad oil filter that I have been hearing about?

Dave

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

5. Godfrey

You can set the rev warning to flash a light at 4500 rpm, even on the bikes without a tachometer I believe. :)

6. Godfrey

The rev indicator light is a warning, not a limiter. At least on the V7 motors, nothing prevents you running past where it flashes a warning at you until you get to the hard-set rev limiter in the ECU, which is set to 7200 rpm. You can't change that. If you set the rev warning indicator past 7200 rpm on the V7, it will never illuminate.

After I passed the 1000 mile mark, I set it to 6500 rpm. Racer's pretty rev happy now, with the Agostini mufflers and the lovely custom ECU map that Todd developed for me, so I use the rev warning light as a visual "shift now! dummy" indicator when I get a little too happy with the throttle...

Racer happily pulls right to the rev limiter at 7200, at least in the first five gears. I haven't had enough road free in front of me to see if it gets there in sixth so far, and don't have a driving need to do so anyway. :D