• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breather relocator kit for CARC drives.

Penis Rotor

GT Godfather!
I've just designed and fitted and am about to start production of a CARC breather relocator to eliminate the problem of water getting into the CARC.

The fitting on top of the CARC is unobtrusive.

From the other side you can see the routing of the solid pipe and the retainer plate used to ensure it is secured away from the brake disc and is prevented from vibrating itself to fatigue.

Although I initially made up the length of the solid pipe by rough measurement and guesswork I struck lucky with the length as it is exactly right to allow the swivel fitting to clip into the *spare* part of the clip already on the bottom of the swingarm that retains the brake line and, in the case of Grisos, the speedo sensor cable.

With the flexible hose I routed it up beside the frame and then cable tied it along the loom under the right hand 'Wing'. the CARC now breathes just up behind the ECU which I reckon is a prety high, safe, dry sort of spot!

I'm still trying to find some sort of satisfactory packing tube to use to surround the solid pipe where it is retained to the CARC by the clip. Mine is simply wrapped in a 'Sufficiency' of electrical tape to prevent it moving around, it's quite satisfactory and it is what I'll use if I can't find something else that'll do the job. it is a tight squeeze in there when the pipe is clipped in but at the same time if there is nothing around it it can vibrate and will fatigue.

Cost will be $200 AU + P&P but I can't see that being more than $20 or so. The 'Kit' will contain everything you need to assemble and install the breather including a metre, (That's about 3 feet for you primitives over the Pacific ;D) of braided hose. I'll assemble all the fittings onto the assorted hoses so all the 'End User' should have to do is fit the banjo and pipe, connect the flexible hose to the swivel fitting and route it to wherever they think it ought to go. The Braided hose can easily be cut to length. Just wrap where it needs to be cut with electical tape and then cut it with a hacksaw. Installation took me about 1/2 an hour including removal of the wheel to allow fitment of the solid pipe and its retaining plate.

Now. Just so everyone understands.

I am NOT saying that this is a VITAL modification. If you live somewhere dry and don't ride in the rain you will probably never experience the problem of water ingress into the final drive through the breather. If however you ride in the rain, if you occasionally ford streams or leave the bike parked for long periods in pouring rain there is a very good chance that you will end up with water in the final drive. This product is simply designed to help prevent the ingress of water to one of the most expensive components of the vehicle that is also one of the most vulnerable to damage if it's lubricant is contaminated. I offer it simply as a cheap, easy, preventative measure manufactured from top quality materials that has the potential to save that component from damage. Is that clear enough? Sorry if that seems a bit tetchy but when I suggested this on another board I was accused of venality and trying to sell people a pup and I'm afraid thar REALLY gives me the shits.

Pete

Attachments

• CARCVent1.jpg
    CARCVent1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,868
  • CARCVent2.jpg
    CARCVent2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,863
  • CARCVent3.jpg
    CARCVent3.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,864
  • CARCVent4.jpg
    CARCVent4.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,863
Pete,

Count me in. It rains allot in the SE United States. Let me know when and where to send payment.

I like your idea. My CARC vent seeps all the time and collects a ton of dust on the swing arm. I wonder if you considered running the vent line up to where the evap canister is...or used to be... in my case. I have my transmission and crankcase vents routed to K&N breathers back there. I don't have a picture but I could post one if needed.

Pete

Sounds like good insurance policy to me. I plan on keeping the bike a long time so it’s a few $$s a year.

What you are replacing is described in the Guzzi parts list as a “Breather Plug”. Sounds like it does nothing to aid venting when it’s in place if it really is a plug – is there some secret Guzzi service use for it, if not what purpose is it supposed to fill (apart from a hole :oops: )

Art

I like the idea, but why not with a rubber hose? Stiff and thick enough of course.
Better looking/easier to make/cheaper (Yes, I'm Dutch. . . ;))

Rubber hose is a great idea. Just insert in on top of the current valve and make sure the end of the hose is "J" shaped to prevent the spashes from rain etc making its way to the valve.

Pete's from Australia, them boys gots no ozone layer, rubber hose would rot and crack in the first year. I mean, look what its done to Pete :D

lordabhi said:
Rubber hose is a great idea. Just insert in on top of the current valve and make sure the end of the hose is "J" shaped to prevent the spashes from rain etc making its way to the valve.

So if the Carc is suddenly cooled and a vacuum occurs what prevents the water that might be trapped in the J bend from being sucked into the Carc ?

Pete as you know I am in and would be willing to do what I PM'd you about on Wild Guzzi.

So if the Carc is suddenly cooled and a vacuum occurs what prevents the water that might be trapped in the J bend from being sucked into the Carc ?
I was more thinking of routing it to somewhere under the fuel tank (just like Pete did).

You could do that. You could use a vent fitting like the one used on the gearbox but here would you run the hose? Up to the torque arm and along it? Remember it's going to be moving the whole time in relation to swingarm, I'd think there is a risk the hose would get pulled off allowing water in again. Also most rubber hoses will perish over time at least they do in our sunlight. You could loop it u in a big, inverted 'U' and cable tie it to the swingarm. Ugly and easily damaged or disturbed. Run it up to the rear bodywork? It'd need lots of slack to deal with the suspension movement and once again would be ugly and vulnerable. You could use a banjo with a barb fitting for a rubber hose and run it up the top of the swingarm but once again how would you secure it? Cable ties? Ugly, and you'd still have the problem of a rubber hose perishing. Use braided line and you'd risk damaging the paint or would need to drill the swingarm for mounting clips.

All of those are possibilities. I chose to do it my way because it is unobtrusive, robust, not going to be affected by UV and is not going to foul anything, be easily damaged or tugged off.

Pete

Despite the fact that it never rains in the UK :eek: this sounds excellent. I was wondering about the fit when folk also have the Skidmarx hugger on, as I do. Looking at your pics and back and forth to my bike I think it should be no problem. At worst I would have to cut about 1cm off the corner of the hugger.

What price postage to UK Pete?

Back