• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 11 air box removal

Mike.C

High Miler
I've had an idea - a dangerous state of affairs I know but that's how it is when you spend a couple of days in "The Shed"

So question is: are there likely to be any diabolical consequences if I were to ditch the complete air box and replace it with 2 individual foam type air filters mounted directly onto the throttle bodies?

Basically where the two rags are stuffed into the throttle boday intakes in the pic below would go something like this:

universal_angled.jpg

Of course I would have to find a solution for filtering the stepper motor air intake (not hard) and the oil collector box drain (also not hard), and given that I am intalling Todd's full monty fueling PCV fix the fuelling should be taken care off.

BTW for those what might be wondering this is what a B11 looks like after two days of work doing a PCV / ECU swap / Stepper bypass surgery / Air box lid change / Inner spark replacement and a heap of general dicking about.

To explain, the real idea involves the fuel range on the Stelvio - seems to me that the space taken up by the monstrous air box is ideal for an additional fuel tank.... but that's a story for later on.

Attachments

• mikec_B11_no_airbox.jpg
    mikec_B11_no_airbox.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 639
Mike, it's been proven over the years that internal combustion motors like to pull from a still air plenums. That doesn't keep people from installing pod filters like you're suggesting. If you do, be sure to mount them on the plastic connectors that go into the air-box, pseudo velocity stacks if you will.
Filter media... I hope this doesn't go by means of Uni-foam-vs-K&N debate, please folks.

I do like your thinking on the Stelvio tank though. Need more info?

Thanks mate, that's probably enough info for me to get myself well and truly in trouble. Well then - back to the shed.

Pod filters got a good rep in the late 70's, early 80's before the OEM's actually designed airboxes that optimized airlflow for the specific engine. you got an old bike, pods are good, you got a new bike, do the research. This is particularly obvious with the newer japanese sportbikes and I suspect with some of our beloved newer guzzi's Greg field got really interesting improvements in performance, but real improvments in mileage on his uber eldo with some fancy air feeding vs just slipping on pods..... Having said that, eliminating my air filter cover and snorkels on my griso has given the feel of improved top end.... and I know andrews griso with open airbox makes more horsepower than any griso with stock air box. but he kept the air box plenum and feeds, just removed the restrictions, I suspect if he put pods on the ends of the throttle bodies he would have killed his gains

Mike, dont remove the airbox, as previously said atmo engines prefer to feed from a plenum, my experience is that running just pods on a 'modern' engine upsets the low-medium speed running in day-to-day use. If you want to fit a pod fit it upstream of the airbox. For the Stelvio why not make (or have made) a custom 'Dakar' tank that uses up the glovebox space? If you need one, hundreds of other Stelvio owners will want one and perhaps that's enough demand to make it worthwhile for a local manufacturer?

Peter

Even if there was an advantage the amount of fuckwittery and embuggerance you'd have to go to would make it a complete pain in the arse!

Any *Gains* in air flow that you would achieve would simply upset the AFR. Now you have the PCV+AT I believe so these would be compensated for but the actual *gain* you'd achieve would be so small as to be virtually undetectable unless you used a dyno to get figures.

Thing is the stock system works OK. Really, if you want more? Get a Sport 1200 8V.

Pete

Ok I hear you about the no power gains, but that's not what I'm after - what I am interested in is space for a fuel tank in the Stelvio, and what I am wondering is if there will be any major issues with the engine.

From what I can make out, maybe some minor detrimental effects but I am hoping these might be countered by the PCV and auto tune.

I recon that after I've got the PCV settled in I might give it a go, I had a squizz this arvo, an I recon it would only take about half an hour to take the box out and re-route all the pipes and stuff. We shall see.

kmartin said:
Make sure you get one green and one red as in the picture. Green would go on the right ahnd cylinder.
You may be onto something Keith, but you have it backwards;

loydev2.jpg

Mike.C said:
BTW for those what might be wondering this is what a B11 looks like after two days of work doing a PCV / ECU swap / Stepper bypass surgery / Air box lid change / Inner spark replacement and a heap of general dicking about.

download.html

For those of you wondering, this is what a Norge looks like before Guzzitech's Full Monty treatment, including fuel pump filter and level sensor replacement. Just above the ABS button is the ECU about to be maneuvered into place.
PC052823.jpg

With Air Box reinstalled with CNC open air box lid.

PC082845.jpg

PCV and AT in place.

PC082846.jpg

You going to love the results !

Back