• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1100 Battery discharge

Bangalore33

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

I have a 2006 Breva and recently replaced the battery, however I have not taken it out for a long ride, just a couple short rides, 20klm, and I find when I go to start the next few days the battery has not enough charge to start. Volts read at 12.1 or left longer down to 11.8, it requires 12.3v to start. I have measured the standing discharge rate at .25 amp; is this too much,if so what should the rate of discharge be?

Thanks

If you do have an alarm fitted and you find the life is being sucked out of the battery after being parked up for a few days, leave it connected to a suitable trickle charger, like an Optimate.

Hi Bangalore33.
I have just measured the current draw on my 2007 Breva 1100, I do not have an alarm fitted just the standard red flashing LED. Anyway the current varies from 1.8ma to 3ma when the LED flashes. Several times the bike has been left for 6 weeks without a charger attached and always starts 1st time. That 1.8ma is not a misprint .
Cheers Kevin

0.25A is way too much! Troubleshoot it by disconnecting circuits one by one, starting with anything aftermarket.

OK... I seem to have similar issues with my B11

It is 2007 B11 got it new 2 months ago and it is always on trickle charger. When I try starting it - the starter does not engage once in a while. I don't hear it 'tick tick 'when a starter tries to enguage with a weak battery. No noise - at all. However the light goes dim.

Any pointers on trouble shooting steps...

Hi Lordabhi,
check/clean both battery posts, make sure there is no crud under them, clean both cable terminals that connect to them, coat with vasaline or suitable anti corode paste, dont forget the main earth terminal by the starter motor.
Cheers Kevin

I cleaned the sh**t out of it. Put some spit on it and polished it again. Put trickle charger on it - for the whole night and still shows 10.4 v on dash. So the batt is dead. The dealer did a shoddy job of setting up the battery the first time. With lead acid - the first charge is vital. One has to give it full charge at 1.5 amp for 10 hrs or else the batt will never last. I guess I am the victim of my own self. I could not wait to get my B11 and pushed the dealer hard to prep the bike in a day.

Any way I thought of going to Odyssey but could not figure out how to secure the battery as the top plastic flap over the batt will not fit Odyssey and plus it was rated one or two amp below the required 18. So I just ordered the same type. I wish there was a way to put a larger batt. The breva motor pulls in quite a large amp to fire. Unlike my bandit 1250... it can literely start on a dime on a junk battery.

I will pull out the starter cover today to clean the earth while I wait for the UPS man.

Thanks for the pointers

lordabhi said:
I cleaned the sh**t out of it. Put some spit on it and polished it again. Put trickle charger on it - for the whole night and still shows 10.4 v on dash. So the batt is dead. The dealer did a shoddy job of setting up the battery the first time. With lead acid - the first charge is vital. One has to give it full charge at 1.5 amp for 10 hrs or else the batt will never last. I guess I am the victim of my own self. I could not wait to get my B11 and pushed the dealer hard to prep the bike in a day.

Any way I thought of going to Odyssey but could not figure out how to secure the battery as the top plastic flap over the batt will not fit Odyssey and plus it was rated one or two amp below the required 18. So I just ordered the same type. I wish there was a way to put a larger batt. The breva motor pulls in quite a large amp to fire. Unlike my bandit 1250... it can literely start on a dime on a junk battery.

I will pull out the starter cover today to clean the earth while I wait for the UPS man.

Thanks for the pointers

After you juice the battery, let it sit for about 3 hours. That lets the acid fully permeate the medium (glass matte) before you apply a charge. The battery will thank you for doing that.

I need to buy a new battery for my breva this week, I'd be intrested to know weather those of you who have already done this have gone for the Yuasa YTX20H-BS as fitted as standard (£115.99 here in the UK) or a cheaper alternative. If so was the cheaper alternative as good?

Hi to everybody on Guzzitech. I've been off the forum for a while, a long deployment followed by a new baby and a house move that means I walk to work has kept me away form the Breva for a while. :(

Joe breva1100 said:
I need to buy a new battery for my breva this week, I'd be intrested to know weather those of you who have already done this have gone for the Yuasa YTX20H-BS as fitted as standard (£115.99 here in the UK) or a cheaper alternative. If so was the cheaper alternative as good?

Hi to everybody on Guzzitech. I've been off the forum for a while, a long deployment followed by a new baby and a house move that means I walk to work has kept me away form the Breva for a while. :(

I got one of these...
http://www.twiggersmotorcycles.co.uk/breva-11001200-accessories/unibat-20chbs-battery.html

It does what it says on the tin, I can't fault it!

Iain

So I got the new battery - Yuasa OEM and added the acid, waited for 2 hrs, hooked it up to 1.5 amp charger and was expecting it to take 4 to 8 hrs to get fully charged. Instead it was charged in less than 2hrs, WTF did i do wrong? The volt meter on the batt terminals shows 13.3 after the charge . I did not hear the acid boil (as I would expect). Is this normal?

I put in the batt on the bike and the she fired every time I hit the starter. The volt on the dash showed 12.5 ~ 12.9 during the testing session. So that was good. I just dont want to buy another batt in a month. So please tell me I did not f**k this up.

lordabhi said:
So I got the new battery - Yuasa OEM and added the acid, waited for 2 hrs, hooked it up to 1.5 amp charger and was expecting it to take 4 to 8 hrs to get fully charged. Instead it was charged in less than 2hrs, WTF did i do wrong? The volt meter on the batt terminals shows 13.3 after the charge . I did not hear the acid boil (as I would expect). Is this normal?

I put in the batt on the bike and the she fired every time I hit the starter. The volt on the dash showed 12.5 ~ 12.9 during the testing session. So that was good. I just dont want to buy another batt in a month. So please tell me I did not f**k this up.

I would have waited longer before putting it on the charger, but you should be OK.

Back