• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1100 fork removal

nel

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Struggling to remove the last of 4 6mm allen bolts holding the yokes to the folks. The bolts have never been out and they corrode inside the alloy of the yoke. Tried wd40 and impact driver. Rounded the inside of the seized bolt. Tried to drill a 3mm pilot hole in the bolt with a titanium drill to enable a LH tapper to turn the bolt out but the drill can't penetrate the stainless steel bolt. What about applying a blowtorch to the head of the bolts. This will trash the gold paint of the yoke but will it free the seized bolt is used with an impact driver. Maybe I should remove the bottom yoke complete with stuck fork and take is to an engineer shop? Gotta detach the handle bars and headlight subframe undo the steering head nut and drop the yoke out of the sterring head. All I wanted to do is repaint the lower folks and oil change. Is Breva 1100 fork removal this hard?

It is only hard if you make it. WD 40 is probably the worst penetrating oil there is. A home mix of 50/50 acetone and ATF works the best. Now that you have rounded off the bolt head, your best bet is to take the assembly to a machinist so he can use a carbide tip to remove the stainless bolt. Unfortunately that will require dropping everything out of the steering head. Also I never use an impact tool on Allen heads. That is just asking for trouble, you need to have a feel for what is going on. Quality 3/8 inch drive Allen sockets work best. When you get new bolts, coat with an anti seize compound on assembly.

One thing to try before dropping the entire front end. Use the 50/50 mix penetrating oil for several days. Take a center punch and punch in the sides of the Allen bolt head. Then hammer in a good Allen socket and use a breaker bar or ratchet so you can feel what is going on. You may get just enough purchase to get the bolt out.

John thanks for the tips. Might put the fender, brakes wheel back on and ride it to a shop with a carbide drill. My steering head bearings are probably shagged/corroded at 80 000 miles.

There is a product called Sock it out (sockitout.com), they work. I use them at work a lot. Does the head of the bolt stick out far enough to grab it woth vice grips. Soak it with penetrating fluid and try that. You can make up John's mix which I have read works well or if you can find it I use Kroil.

The Sock it Out is not a screw extracter exactly. It is sized the fit into the head of the Allan bolt but slightly tapered and a bit larger. You tap it in, sometimes very large taps, and then turn it out like it is a hex head bolt. I have never broken one but of course there has been the bolt that is so rusted in it just makes the hex hole a bit larger. I'd say I have a very high percentage of success with them.

I have used every penetrant in that test except the home brew. Kroil wins by a landslide for penetrating into crevices, including smooth shafts that are stuck. I had seen that report before but the convience of walking into the supervisors office and walking out with a spray can of Kroil wins over making my own. At home I have over a gallon of Kroil my dad gave me in the small drip applicator cans and the gallon refill so the price is reasonable there also!

Tied to undo the big hex steering head bolt. Can move it half turn anti clockwise then it's stuck or half turn clockwise. I imagined you would just turn this top bolt anticlockwise all the way until it came out? page 5-21 maintenance manual says loosen top bolt,remove bottom screw fork fastening plate, remove handlebars. In the 3rd pic it shows the top bolt remove implying it screws out above. thought i'd take the steering head apart so I could remove bottom yoke and stuck fork. Harder than manual suggests.

Back