• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1100 or Norge Luggage

Expat Kiwi

Just got it firing!
I saw a post on an earlier board about the ability to fit Norge luggage on a B11. Now I can't find it. Can someone point me to the right link or repost the info if available?

Thanks.

They are essentially the same bike, so with the same hardware, it's a bolt on endeavor.

In case you are referring to the top case as well as the saddlebags (panniers in Anglo-lingo), don't get the Guzzi top case, it's junk, even after the recall fix. On the other thand, Givi works great. Guzzi bags, on the other hand, work fine.

The Norge panniers mount on the frame similar to the original Breva ones. Having thrown one onto the L.A. freeway, I cannot recommend these. No great loss, they were so warped you could see the gap into the interior at the rear despite my attempts to correct this.

If you're looking for better panniers go for the Hepco & Becker. I purchased the 30L size for my B11, but they are also available in 40L.

I concur with GuzziBob regarding the Givi topbox. Buy the Monolock version rather than the Monokey type. Both have a good range of sizes, but the Monolock has a better base to strap or bungie on a soft bag or other luggage.

I have the Norge cases and really like them. They'll be even better once I get them painted black to match the bike.

I have the norge cases and like them also have the top case and have had no issues with it. I think it looks better but to be safe i but two bolts through the mounting bracket now it cant come off.

I know Kiwi Dave had a pannier toss off (Hi Dave), but mine have been trouble free, easy to use (once you get the hang of it) & have lots of room-though at the cost of requiring that you swing down the muffler which in turns takes a bit of ground clearance away. Worth it on a long trip requiring lots of luggage space, I swing the muffler back up in between trips for max canyon scratching clearance, easy enough to do. I've seen few major complaints about the bags, but lots of complaints about the Guzzi top box, even after the recall. Second Dave's suggestion to go Monolock rather than Monokey for the same reason, followed Dave's advise on that & very happy. Lots of Givi bags to choose from, very easy to install & use & have yet to see any complaints whatsoever. If you must have the absolute largest capacity possible, the big (52 liter, model E52R300) Givi Monokey bag can color match to Norge red. I preferred something not quite as whale-like, & the greater versatility of the Monolock mount, got the 39liter E-370N in mostly flat black plus red reflector, looks fine on my red Norge. I do know one person who had his H&B top case fall off, but seems much rarer than on the stock piece. If you get the stock thing, for sure add additional fastening.

I think Guzzi did a great job designing the side case mounts. One of the few bikes out there where the mount system doesn't look after market. The Norge looks just as good with or without the bags mounted on it. The side cases are large but unsure how watertight they are and the latch system is a little rinky dink for my liking. As for the Guzzi top case, what a piece of crap design that $500.00 lump of plastic is:angry: . Mine went a flying off the mount after hitting some ruts on the side of the road at 5 mph and mine had the updated mount when it happened. There's stupid designs and there's scary stupid designs, the top case is in the second category. The guy who designed it should be stuffed into it and dumped into a lake. Go with the GIVI if you want a top case since Guzzi dropped the ball on their top case.

The panniers look o.k. but the lids are warping already on the shelf without much use. I think Moto Guzzi did a shoddy job "designing" or maybe simply copying Aprilia's old design. Yes the brakets are very subtle and yes they go easily on and off - sometimes too easy - but MG should have designed the back of the cases so that you do not have to lower your exhaust by simply setting them higher and a little forward slanting. No big geal for any good company. Is there any other bike manufacturer that does this - sell panniers that don't fit your bike?

Gazdok

Gazdok wrote:
but MG should have designed the back of the cases so that you do not have to lower your exhaust by simply setting them higher and a little forward slanting. No big geal for any good company. Is there any other bike manufacturer that does this - sell panniers that don't fit your bike?

Gazdok
Why not just strap them both on top of the pillion seat, then you could really get the weight (and centre of gravity) up high.

You could equally ask, why do all manufacturers HAVE to have the exhaust pointing to the sky? It's not for ground clearance, just the fashion statement of the day.

Gazdok wrote:
The panniers look o.k. but the lids are warping already on the shelf without much use. I think Moto Guzzi did a shoddy job "designing" or maybe simply copying Aprilia's old design. Yes the brakets are very subtle and yes they go easily on and off - sometimes too easy - but MG should have designed the back of the cases so that you do not have to lower your exhaust by simply setting them higher and a little forward slanting. No big geal for any good company. Is there any other bike manufacturer that does this - sell panniers that don't fit your bike?

Gazdok

They DO fit your bike. Guzzi-and for that matter Ducati on their ST's-simply allow you to raise the exhaust & ground clearance-if you want-& I do-when bags are not in use. You could just leave them hung low if you wish. If the bags were made to fit by your definition, they would be smaller, or further back and/or higher. This is supposed to be a touring bike, & I'm fine with them as they are, esp very happy with their capacity when on a long trip. What I'm NOT fine with is the centerstand design, way too low. Though that can be worked around too by cutting back the bump stop (how stupid is that-except very cheap & easy to fix) & some suspension messaging, which is needed anyway if you (& passenger if any) ride aggressively and/or weigh a lot. In any case, seems to me there is an aftermarket opportunity for a redesigned centerstand that increases ground clearance without increasing effort to raise the bike on the stand-or better reduce the effort. I bet more than half of Norge owners would go for that. Probably be an easy sell for Breva folk as well, esp those that came without ANY centerstand.

3ackok said:
Is H-B the only option for aftermarket panniers? My factory cases are warping.

It's too bad Givi doesn't make racks for the Breva because their luggage works well and is a good value. I've heard too many people say that both the Breva and Norge cases leak and/or warp. I'm going to buy a set of Hepco Becker racks and mount Pelican cases on them. They should be secure and pretty much bombproof.

For what it's worth I've done about 1500 miles in wet weather, a lot of it at motorway/Autoroute speeds, and my MG panniers are warped, but because the seals are so deep they don't let much water in, if any at all, but I always put stuff in black bin bags..... As for the handle/lock areas pooling, well that really is just crap design......

Personally, I'd rather have 2 full sized panniers and a wee bracket to lower the silencer than 1 and a half panniers like the Beemers...

I obviously don't ride hard enough as I've never really noticed the centre stand grounding unless I'm FULLY loaded with panniers and top box when 2 up and making 'progress' through tight bumpy backroads, when I think the rear shock may be more of the culprit, even with it almost fully wound up......

I'm new to the board and have just bought an 07 B11 and it came with HB panniers (the 40litre size). Got knocked off the bike 2 days ago from behind (a young driver clipped the left pannier, pushing the bike over on its right side). No damage at all to the left and the right had only a small dent on the front of the left. Most importantly no damage at all to the bike and both bags are totally waterproof in all conditions. I can't say enough about these practical albeit somewhat utilitarian boxes

I'm afraid I have to agree with Brain9 I've got HB 40ltrs on mine and the only problem is that they give you a huge Jaylo back end and because of that ridiclous side stand can be a bit trickey to get on and off when fully loaded. Apart from that they are top class, very sturdy and totally waterproof.

Back