• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1100 Questions

circlip

Just got it firing!
Last November I purchased a 2006 Breva 1100, my first non-Tonti Guzzi. The past year has been a learning experience, mostly positive but with a few WTF's. I have two questions that fall into the WTF category, but are nothing major.

1. The constrictor in the fuel cap is barely larger than a typical gas pump nozzle. It is difficult to gauge the fuel level while filling the tank. I just can't see around the nozzle very well. Is it possible to take apart the gas tank cap and remove the constrictor?

2. About a month ago I had to replace the valve cover gaskets (one was leaking, so I did both of them). Unlike my old V7 Sport, G5 or T3, I realized that I needed to lift the gas tank to access all of the valve cover bolts. I followed a procedure that I found on this forum - pull the side covers, loosen the shroud on the front of the gas tank and the rear tank bolt, then prop the back of the tank up with a wood block. The procedure was successful and so far the silicone gaskets are working well. About 2 weeks later, I realized that I had chips in the paint on each side of the gas tank and that the forks are hitting the tank at full lock. Did I do something wrong? The tank looks like it is seated correctly. Is this the dreaded expanding gas tank syndrome? I'm baffled because there does not appear to be any stops for the forks other than the bottom of the afore-mentioned plastic shroud. This can't be a typical condition. Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like the front cups that hold the tank in place are not located properly, and the tank is sitting on top of them. Remove you tank hardware and ensure these are located on the frame rubbers properly. Nothing should touch if it is all assembled properly.

Next time, remove the tank completely and you will see these cups - in fact now is a good time to do it.

I cant see round my fuel cap either, I just fill till it stops, when you lifted the tank, if you pulled it back you may have dislodged the rubber locators and they may have dropped out. I only take out the rear bolt, take off the front plastic grill, undo the breather pipes and support the rear of the tank with a block to access the tappets.

I was trying to be careful when I lifted the tank, but the first time for any procedure is always interesting (and sometimes more educational than anticipated). I'll pull the tank off (first time for that also) and take a look.

Thanks.

remember to disconnect the quick-connect the proper way: disconnect the electrical cables to the fuel pump; try to start you bike with it disconnected - it won't but it will relieve the pressure in the fuel lines; disconnect the quick-connect and lift off the tank;

I pulled the tank and re-seated it. The rubber locaters are firmly in the slots on the tank and the rear is bolted down. If I lay a piece of paper on the front of the tank and turn the forks to full lock, the forks will pinch the paper against the tank on both sides. I'm stumped.

loosen the rear and drag it towards the rear of the bike - form memory there is a bit of adjustment there.

I see that Harper's have a new Breva tank on sale @ US$375, reduced from US$1219.24. If the tank has swollen so much, this might be an easy way out.

The first street bike I had with a plastic tank was a Buell. I never had any issues with it.
Other bikes, especially Italian bikes, seem to use a lower grade plastic that is not entirely fuel proof.
If you replace the tank perhaps you should seal the new tank before using it to prevent future issues when exposing your fuel tank to fuel....

I guess that it's either a new tank or a Bagster cover. I tried to pull the tank to the rear, but it will not go back any farther. Maybe I can slot the hole just a bit with my dremel or a file.

Last November I purchased a 2006 Breva 1100, ...

2. About a month ago I had to rep.....
About 2 weeks later, I realized that I had chips in the paint on each side of the gas tank and that the forks are hitting the tank at full lock. Did I do something wrong? The tank looks like it is seated correctly. Is this the dreaded expanding gas tank syndrome? I'm baffled because there does not appear to be any stops for the forks other than the bottom of the afore-mentioned plastic shroud. This can't be a typical condition. Anyone have any ideas?

I have a Breva 1100 in GB, had it since 2005 and I have been using bogstandard fuel ever since. I have noticed last year that my tank was starting to get 2 little white marks and then discovered that the yoke was hitting the tank. When I went to the dealer next they said "it is a well known problem and most likely caused by the ethanol in the fuel." It was not "well known" to me by then. The only solution they had was to use Super unleaded but they could not promise that that would stop any expansion.
I resolved the " Yoke hitting the tank " problem at least temporarily by simply grinding the lower edge of the yoke off and round rather than leaving a sharp edge. This has no stability problems in that it might weaken the yoke and has not caused any aesthetic dilemas. The round and grinded edge is barely noticeable.

I have a Breva 1100 in GB, had it since 2005 and I have been using bogstandard fuel ever since. I have noticed last year that my tank was starting to get 2 little white marks and then discovered that the yoke was hitting the tank. When I went to the dealer next they said "it is a well known problem and most likely caused by the ethanol in the fuel." It was not "well known" to me by then. The only solution they had was to use Super unleaded but they could not promise that that would stop any expansion.
I resolved the " Yoke hitting the tank " problem at least temporarily by simply grinding the lower edge of the yoke off and round rather than leaving a sharp edge. This has no stability problems in that it might weaken the yoke and has not caused any aesthetic dilemas. The round and grinded edge is barely noticeable.

Instead of grinding the yokes, I think I'd work on the yoke stops to stop the yoke from hitting the tank.

My tank (Breva 2005) is growing as well, got some pimples, too. Being ten years old now puberty starts, I guess. Started two years ago when the right hand side yoke touched the tank and this year the left side followed. The main problem is getting the centre bolt back in the thread. There is only so much play as to take the rubber inlet and the guide channel washers out, there are two. One from the top and the other from the bottom. So far I left only the bottom one out.
I drilled two 2.5mm holes in the the yoke stopper one from each side and cut a thread in it to house a 3mm bolt. Adjustable with washers. That's fine with the MOT people. On the long run it depends very much on how big my tank wants to grow before a new one is due. Time will tell.

My tank (Breva 2005) is growing as well, got some pimples, too. The main problem is getting the centre bolt back in the thread.

I use a scissors jack and a block of wood to help get the tank forward enough to install the rear bolt. So far it has worked in every tank that didn't line up easily.

Well, at least I'm not alone. And misery loves company. I almost bought a Multistrada, but decided that I did not want to deal with the Amazing Expanding Ducati tank. Instead I bought the Amazing Expanding Guzzi tank. I'm starting to wish that I had held out for a Tonti-framed model with a steel tank.

Under consideration is a simple fork stop (instead of using the tank as a stop) as described above, but I haven't gotten too far. What happens if the tank keeps on growing? It almost sounds like a B grade science fiction movie. Does anyone make a metal tank for the Breva? It would be a pricey fix, but it would be a fix. It appears that The Tank Shop only makes the units for the Tonti-framed models. I shutter to think what a custom tank would cost.

Some, including myself, have had good luck with letting the plastic tank dry out for a few months (like during the winter) and once dry use a sealer to prevent the issue from returning.

I purchased a $125 Breva tank off of ebay, which should appear any day. This way I will have a tank to practice the sealing. I understand that Caswell's Gas Tank Sealer is a decent product to start with - any other recommendations?

Back