• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1100 - rear brake

Gazdok

Cruisin' Guzzisti
The brake lever on my Breva 1100 seems to have increased the travel down before the brake bites. The brake still brakes o.k..... just later, I think. I have cleaned the brake recently and also had a look at the brake pads. They are still good and do not seem to have gone down much. The brake fluid is also o.k.
I do not think I have air in the line. Once the brake bites there is no sponginess in the lever. I have not removed the foot peg holder yet to look at the brake cylinder.
Has anyone noticed their rear brake having more travel? Any ideas if this is a problem?

Small amounts of pad wear, significantly increase the travel distance of the piston (I.e. necessary applied force) within the master cylinder in order to achieve the same braking force. It is not a linear relationship but rather an exponential one.

Although this is an arbitrary drawing the engineering principle holds true.

If we plotted pad wear in mm on the x axis (horizontal) and then the travel distance of the piston (i.e. necessary applied force) in mm on the y axis (vertical) to achieve the same braking force, the graph would resemble this curve.

IMG 3898

I am positive that your “eyeball” evaluation of the condition of your pads is flawed.

Put a set of brand new OEM pads in it and you will immediately understand precisely what I am communicating to you here.

Last edited:
Weeks later...

I also noticed that the rear brake seemed to be binding a little, i.e. it was more difficult to push the bike or just turn the wheel, the rear caliper was getting warm.

I have looked at the rear brake a few times, as in first just cleaned it first, the changed the brake fluid then checked the master cylinder - o.k. -, the took the rear caliper to bits expecting some corrosion - no corrosion at all - but I will need new seals for the rear caliper. I had a look online but they do not seem to be for sale.
Does anyone have a part number for the seals?
The bike is a Breva 1100 from 2005 without ABS.

Check that the brake lever is returning correctly, my Breva once had a small stone that became lodged in the mechanism and every operation of the lever it dropped lower and exerted more pressure on the pads.

I had the rear master brake cylinder apart today, foot peg hangers off and everything cleaned. There was a little bit of rust on the pushrod and inside the rubber below, but the spring action in the cylinder itself and the lever worked fine.

I then took the rear calliper off again and apart - just before my last post - and started to look for seals.
The smaller of the seals on the 28mm piston is quite frayed and there is some fraying too on the smaller seal on the 26mm piston.

I have "cleaned them up" for now. The bike is braking again and I think the loose rubber bits were the problem. In the long run I want to replace the seals but cannot get a part number.

I know that BMW has got a similar rear brake calliper on the R1200 range but I am not sure what the piston sizes are on them. I needed the little compression spring under the brake pads and found out that the BMW one was exactly the same and even cheaper than MG oem and I could just get it off the shelf at the BMW dealer.

Edited - it is the R850, R1100 r and GS range with 26mm and 28mm rear calipers.

Attachments

• 20240401_202235_1.jpg
    20240401_202235_1.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Got front brake caliper seals (B-11) from "Brakemaster" (dot com) in the UK last fall. They seem to only sell on ebay. Offer an amazing amount of kits for most bikes. Caliper fixed. Don't use their replacement bleed nipples. Kits include the small o-ring between the caliper halves.
In your back yard ;)

Back