• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1100 Suspension

Motty

Just got it firing!
Hello everyone

I am new here - so please bear with me.

I have just bought a 2006 Breva 1100 with 11,000 miles. Love it. However, it weaves quite a bit on the bends and, when I first got it (a week ago) I was grounding the centre stand. So I increased preload on the rear shock and that seemed to sort out the grounding problem. The weaving, though continues (and I haven't come from an R1 - my other bike is a Bandit 1200 and they are notorious for handling). In fact it weaves more than my old 850T - and that was 35 years ago.

The manual says to turn the preload wheel in X clicks. But my wheel doesn't click! In fact, I have turned it in maybe 20 full rotations and it is still turning nice and smooth and no clicking at all.

Help. Am I doing something wrong? What should i do to improve the suspension? (I weigh 75 kilos / 12 stone; no passenger)

Thanks
Motty

Hi Motti,

As you have now learned, the owners manuals from Guzzi now suck. The front suspension does not have clicks. You have to count full turns from unloaded to set the pre-load. On the old forum, Graham had posted an excelling guide for the 1100 Breva but unfortunately I didn't save it to my PC. I seem to remember something like 36-38 clicks on the rear suspension, and 7 rotations on the front forks but don't hold me to that. All counts are from fully off.

Thanks, John

But, actually, it is my REAR shock that doesn't click!

Probably, the previous owner had the adjustment knob off and lost the small ball bearing. You should be able to fit another one easily.

I doubt that adjusting preload will fix your weaving issue. I'd be checking the wheel bearings for starters.

Motty said:
Thanks, John

But, actually, it is my REAR shock that doesn't click!

As Dave said, the little steel ball was probably lost. Unfortunately it is not broken out as a separate part so hopefully someone here can tell you the diameter of the ball.

The rear is the one that should click. You do have to turn it quite a ways before it does. It feels more like a detent than an audible click.

Motty said:
I have just bought a 2006 Breva 1100 with 11,000 miles. Love it. However, it weaves quite a bit on the bends and, when I first got it (a week ago) I was grounding the centre stand. What should i do to improve the suspension? (I weigh 75 kilos / 12 stone; no passenger).
Hi Motty, welcome and congrats on the B11. 75 KG puts you in the upper limit of the stock springs, so max the pre-load. If you ride aggressively, it's probably time to spend money on upgrading the suspension. If can offer a myriad of solutions from spring only replacements to full shock upgrades. Not trying to sell you anything, more of just an FYI. Feel free to contact me direct e-mail.

I was never really happy with the rear suspension on my '06 Breva 1100. Riding 2up almost always resulted in the center stand touching down. Last year I got a hold of Todd and bought a YSS shock. It made a huge difference, almost a completely new bike. I got it installed before the National last year. We rode 2up with a bunch of camping gear and it handled great and the center stand if very happy now too.

Tyre pressures/tyre wear OK? Both could induce a weave.
Cheapest option on the rear suspension is to pop into Heywards and ask them to fit the heavier spring.

It's on Metzeler Road Tec Z6 in what seems to be pretty new condition. I have never used this tyre before. Could be them?

By the way, chaps, thanks for all your advice. I like it here! :)

I find my Breva 1100 weaves quite a bit more than my old Triumph Trident did, I also am running with the Metzeler Z6 roadtecs, the rear is a little squared off now and it does not like irregualr surfaces, I weigh 120Kg so I have evertything set to max. I notice that the footpegs ground early when banked over. I love this bike though, have owned it for a year now. Incidentally, if you are located in the U.K I have recently fitted a Quill Evo 2 end can, what a sound, highly recommend it.

bobbyblue said:
I find my Breva 1100 weaves quite a bit more than my old Triumph Trident did, I also am running with the Metzeler Z6 roadtecs, the rear is a little squared off now and it does not like irregualr surfaces, I weigh 120Kg so I have evertything set to max. I notice that the footpegs ground early when banked over. I love this bike though, have owned it for a year now. Incidentally, if you are located in the U.K I have recently fitted a Quill Evo 2 end can, what a sound, highly recommend it.

At 120Kg I'd say you've had quite a bit of bangers and mash since you rode the Truimph. I'd recommend getting in touch with Todd (GTRx) or a local suspension shop as to spring and shock options for your Breva. They tended to come a little under sprung and if ridden vigorously two up or with weight the suspension just isn't up to it.

Thanks for that John, Indian curry is my down fall altough at 6feet 4inches I don't look too bad I hope :dry: . I will consider uprating the suspension as you suggest, it does seem a bit on the soggy side. I might just wait to see what 2012 brings from Guzzi though and do a trade in.

bobbyblue said:
Thanks for that John, Indian curry is my down fall altough at 6feet 4inches I don't look too bad I hope :dry: . I will consider uprating the suspension as you suggest, it does seem a bit on the soggy side. I might just wait to see what 2012 brings from Guzzi though and do a trade in.

The new bike will probably be undersprung as well for you. Any factory will produce bikes to fit the median group. I'd venture to say you aren't in the median at 6'4'' and 120Kg. Also don't forget the weight of the riding gear you are wearing, it all counts. At 120 Kg, just about every bike made will be under sprung, if you were 120 pounds, just about every bike will have a too harsh/stiff suspension.

Back