• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1200 fuel filter

magoo

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all, I have a 2008 Euro spec B1200 (naked 2V Norge).

Can anyone advise if my bike will have the well known half plastic in-tank fuel filter ? I can't find a build date anywhere, is it part of the VIN ?

VIN is ZGULPG0048M111301

Edit: I don't use any fuel with Ethanol added, not compulsory in Oz

Thanks in advance

Magoo,

you should be right with this one as it is the same as the Sport (2007/2008) engine and the Norge. I believe 2006 might have the issue...

We generally see Guzzis a model year later than in Europe (and probably Australia). My 2008 1200 Sport shows a build date of Dec 2007, and it did come with the half plastic/half metal filter. I replaced it with a BMW filter I ordered from Todd at MPH. Also ordered the Oetiger-style crimp-on clamps from him.

Did you buy new? Either way, better safe then sorry, and it's cheap insurance instead of getting stranded.

ohiorider said:
We generally see Guzzis a model year later than in Europe (and probably Australia). My 2008 1200 Sport shows a build date of Dec 2007, and it did come with the half plastic/half metal filter. I replaced it with a BMW filter I ordered from Todd at MPH. Also ordered the Oetiger-style crimp-on clamps from him.
thanks guys, I'll pull the tank and have a look. Ohiorider, where do you find the build date ? And do the clamps you use need a special tool ?

Magoo

I've changed the fuel filter a number of times now on the sport.

First time I did it I must admit I wasn't expecting the Oetiker clamps that couldn't be reused.

Solution Cable ties. They got me up and running immediately. And I didn't worry about them till the next 20,000k filter change, despite various people saying they wouldn't cope with the presurized fuel system, the fuel would destroy the cable tie etc etc .

Anyway to cut a long story short I tried to source the "oetiker clamps" to no avail.

So why no get onto the importer I thought, Not a problem if I wanted to by a pack of 100.

Stuff that I'll be dead before I get to use 20 of the things (the rate I'm got it might be 10 or 5??). So Cable tie's where looking pretty good again.

Anyway as luck would have it I was at the pub one day, and a "beverage technician" was there to fix the beer lines. Looking at his tool box while I was waiting for a stubbie (no kegged beer until he fixed the problem) I noticed heaps of Oetiker clamps. I asked him where he source the " stepless ear clamps" from and I think he was amazed I knew about them , which then result in me talking about Guzzi, fuel filters etc.

Turns out he gave me a handful for nicks, and what about the "special tool" I need to close/fix them I asked??
"It's crap just get end cutting pliers, file the edges down and the jobs done."was the response.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp ... ing+Pliers

Simple really .

P.S.if you have trobule sourcing the clamps let me know as I'm more than happy to wait at the pub until the beverage technician turns up again.

I used Dorman 800-309 clamps and made a tool just like Tony. Had to grind down the sides to make it narrow enough to work on the clamps on the CARC boot.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Well I pulled the pump/filter unit out this morning and boy am I glad I did. Plastic part of the filter was swollen and distorted, probably would have lasted a while but I'm very happy I've got a nice new all metal filter in there. After shopping around a few auto and bike shops this morning one of the bike mechanics I showed the pump/filter assembly to said that the filter was similar in size as those used on modern Ducatis.

Well the new Ducati people here on the Gold Coast couldn't have been more helpful (just like Myles the previous owner RIP). It took them less than five minutes to replace the old one (same clamps as the old ones came with the filter) and I was on my way. It was a bit pricey but a lot less than the Guzzi dealer here quoted me.

I've always had the intermittent service triangle and DSB error 07 so while I had the tank off I also took the airbox out and attempted to replace the oil pressure sensor unit. Even with the airbox out and a few other bits and pieces moved around I just didn't have the tools and skill to get it undone. It's in an awful location. What I did find though was that the spade connector unit just about fell off the sensor when I removed it. I tightened it up with pliers and it fits a fair bit more snuggly now. I'll report back if this simple procedure has cured the service warning issue.

aaahh "Beverage technicions" where would we be without them? Dry I suppose :lol: :lol:
good to see your out and about Tony.
Heading up to MacKillops bridge tomorrow to see if the waters up from the Jindabyne release
Hope my filter lasts haven't looked at mine yet!!! :woohoo:

magoo said:
ohiorider said:
thanks guys, I'll pull the tank and have a look. Ohiorider, where do you find the build date ? And do the clamps you use need a special tool ?

Sorry I'm late getting back. Appears you already resolved the issue --- I was on the 1200 Sport for the past four days, enjoying the last days of summer, got home late yesterday.

Re the tool, Google this: Performance Tool W83013
You'll come up with multiple sources for the crimping tool .... all should be under $10US. I purchased mine at Advanced Auto (in stock).
Re the build date, next time you have the tank removed, or at least slid back a few inches from the steering head, you'll find a stamped tin data plate attached to the top of the frame. Hopefully what I interpreted as December, 2007 (12/07) was in fact the build date. Confident it is. Anyone else on this?

I was warned of this fuel filter issue by a Guzzi mechanic on another forum, but as mine is a 2008 I thought it would be ok. I just bought a Stebel Nautilus air horn, and as I had to remove the tank to run the wiring (and the fuel was low), I thought I might as well check the fuel filter.

EEEKK!!! Not a pretty sight, all that swollen plastic!!

I found a metal Ryco filter at an auto store that was very close in size, so in it went. I had to re-use those dumb clips they use, and some judicious grinding of a pair of stripping pliers worked ok, but one of them simply would not close up (the fuel pipe over the inlet spigot measured about 0.5mm bigger, which was enough to be a problem!!). The only thing I had on hand was a hose clamp with a screw tightener. I fitted a second nut to act as a locknut, so I don't think it should come loose.

Glad I found it, I'd hate to be out in the middle of nowhere and have that filter give up.

Oh, and the Stebel is LOUD! :lol: .

The build date is normally stamped on the frame gusset just behind the steering head.

For reference the correct all metal filters are Knecht/Mahle KL145 or UFI 31 760 00 or any equivalent.

I found a metal Ryco filter at an auto store that was very close in size, so in it went. I had to re-use those dumb clips they use, and some judicious grinding of a pair of stripping pliers worked ok, but one of them simply would not close up (the fuel pipe over the inlet spigot measured about 0.5mm bigger, which was enough to be a problem!!)
Hey Dikman what ryco did you use? I have a Z200 on hand to do when my new connectors arrive but was worried it might be a bit long and is also slightly wider

I used this type, had no problems.
fuelpipeclip.jpg

That's what I used when I replaced mine 18 months ago. SS ones and they were 50p each from my local motor factor, bargain, and no messing with crappy little clips and special tools.

Hi Kym, it's a Z114. I found it at Supercheap (only one they had, lucky huh?). I opened nearly every filter they had there, and this was the last one I tried!! Cost about $8.

As for the screw clamps, I assume some have concerns in case they loosen due to vibration (my Breva has the odd bit of vibration - cough cough). That's why I used a lock nut. Worm clamps may be better, I suppose, but I couldn't find any that small.

Back