• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1200 seat (arghh) and bar risers?

dikman

Tuned and Synch'ed
Two questions in one (thought I'd save a post).

I just did my first long trip on the Breva (3500 kms, to pick up some black powder :roll: ). I soon realised that the seat, while it looks great, isn't up to long rides - I was having to stop every hour or so (numb bumb, made me long for the Gel seat on my Tiger!). I've also come to the conclusion that I need bar risers of some sort, as I felt like I was leaning forward too much and getting sore shoulders. Unfortunately, these bars aren't what you'd call "standard", so I'm at a loss as to what I can do about it.

So, any options (in Oz) for the seat and bars? (I have an Airhawk seat, which I'll have to try, but that will lift me up slightly which will probably make the shoulder problem worse!).

This is all rather unfortunate, as the bike itself went great, really. Lots of vibrations, but didn't cause any numbing of fingers so that's good, and fuel economy averaged 5.03 litres/100 kms, which is excellent for a biggish bike, but as it stands at the moment I'm not keen on any more long trips on it.

The stock seat foam from Guzzi is too soft and you end up on the seat pan. Find a seat outfit in OZ that uses a high density closed cell foam. Have them replace your seat foam with a section of the high desity foam. You can maintain the original shape if you like that. Sargent in the US http://www.sargentcycle.com/ uses high density closed cell foam and I had them do mine. It went from a 150 mile seat, to an all day seat.

As for the bars, I'm not that familiar with the 1200 Sport so someone else should be able to assist you there.

I like the seat! I rode my 1200 Sport from the east to the west coast of the USA with absolutely no complaints. If you're thinking more padding, you could try borrowing a Norge or Breva 1100 seat to see how one of these feel.

Most people I know change their handlebars on the 1200 Sport. I have two Sports that have their bars changed for Aprilia Mana bars which from my crude measurements took the handgrips 38mm higher and 95mm further back than the original bars.

I also have one Sport (my favourite) with Renthal Fatbars #609-5325 which seem not quite as far back, but I don't have any comparison measurements to justify this thought.

One advantage of the Mana bars is that they come with the ends tapped out for the stock end weights.

Edit. I just realized you're probably talking about the Breva 1200, not the Breva 1200 Sport. If this is so, ignore all I've said!

Yep, it's a Breva, not a Sport (although I've no idea what the differences are). I'll see if I can find someone who knows what they're doing with seat re-structuring, sounds like the only practical option. As for the risers, I've seen mention here of Helibars, unfortunately not only are they very expensive but I think they will foul the Guzzi tank bag when turning. The only thing I can think of is to make spacer plates to fit between the bars and the yoke top, but I don't think I could go any thicker than 1/2", which probably won't be enough.

Err, tank bag, John. With the stock bars the bar ends almost hit the bag sides when manoeuvring the bike around, and the Helibars are advertised as being narrower than stock, so are likely to hit the bag.

As for the seat, I found an ad in Cycletorque mag. for Australian Cumfy Seats, so I'll email them to see what they suggest.

dikman said:
Err, tank bag, John. With the stock bars the bar ends almost hit the bag sides when manoeuvring the bike around, and the Helibars are advertised as being narrower than stock, so are likely to hit the bag.

As for the seat, I found an ad in Cycletorque mag. for Australian Cumfy Seats, so I'll email them to see what they suggest.

Sorry, Missed the bag part. I use a Marsee 6 liter bag with strap mounts (quick release). Plenty of clearance stock, should be enough with the Heli bars. http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/prod ... eTankBags2

I was fortunate enough to find a used (barely) Corbin saddle that had originally been used on a Norge, then on a 1200 Sport. I found the factory Sport saddle to be extremely mushy which in turn made it feel like I was riding on the seat pan after a short time. Even after having it re-padded and somewhat reshaped with Atomic foam by Sargent, the stock saddle still didn't work for me (YMMV).

For me, the Corbin has turned the 1200 Sport into a true sport touring bike. I rode the stock saddle with Sargent mods from here (Cleveland, Ohio) to Montana and back over 13 days, and with the Mana bars and adjustable foot pegs, it was a fairly comfortable ride, but left me sore at the end of the day. I have made only one 3 day ride with the Corbin, but the difference was day and night.

Unfortunately, what works for one won't work as well for another. But the combo of (a) Corbin saddle, (b) Mana bars, and (c) adjustable footpegs has convinced me the 1200 Sport is a keeper that could take me anywhere in comfort.

Back