RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, We've completed the split of this website from our custom bike builds and products to our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. GuzziTech.com is now a secure site (https), and may require you to sign in again using your same password. We are back to our origins here with the Forum and Resources only. As always, zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine 2000-2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles Performance and Service workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work with our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Breva 750 2005. Rubber bit in the sump

Discussion in 'Small Block' started by Gray Kay, Jul 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gray Kay

Gray Kay Just got it firing!

My Breva is relatively new to me, had her 5000 km and 1 year (now has 95000km)

Goes great in the Queensland sunshine (Australia) and is my go to work bike daily.

Finally did my first oil change, I had just done a 750km camping trip with family and almost changed the engine oil before I went, luckily ran out of time.

So, after the trip, had a 100km run and into the garage for the change.

Rear sump plug out ok, but the front smaller one was only finger tight...unfortunately not loose, but stripped. Removed the filter ok.

As I have a mechanical background, I pulled the sump off to do the repairs, fitted a larger plug, up to 12mm from the original 10mm, so a much stronger thread now.

My question to you all is this, see the photos, I found these bits of black rubbery stuff in the sump...

The 10mm ring spanner there for size comparison.

I have no idea what the previous owner did, but they got in there somehow.

The bike runs great, very happy.

Live in the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.

Had a Lario before this Breva,

and my Mistress since 1971... www.allpan.com.au/gk/ajs

Cheers Gray.

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

IMAG2485web.jpg

2. Da Rev

Da Rev Tuned and Synch'ed

looks like a jig saw puzzle. Do they fit together somehow, because those bits look like they should.

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

I suspect the cam chain tensioner may be coming apart. With the mileage on the bike it is possible it is failing. Probably could stand to have the timing chain replaced as well.

4. Gray Kay

Thanks for your reply... I haven't been inside the motor as yet, so unsure what is there... aside from looking at exploded drawings.
    The best I can say is the pieces look like a black tap washer (hot or cold water) about 20mm outside diameter and seems to have a smal hole.
    Maybe completely wrong, but hopefully will trigger an answer.
    Would the cam chain tensioner be breaking down like this?
    and if so, would these pieces be able to drop into the sump?
    Cheers Gray.

5. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

The tensioner is the only non metal part in the engine. Also with the current mileage it wouldn't hurt to replace the timing chain so you should go in anyway.

V700Steve likes this.
  6. Gray Kay

Yeehaaa...Found the answer.

Finally found some time to change the timing chain and tensioner.

Here's what I found inside the case. More rubber pieces...

IMAG4039.jpg

[​IMG]
    See at the top of the tensioner... no rubber bump stopper.
    Steel tensioner sitting against the case.
    IMAG4043.jpg

New tensioner (top) and old one below.
    IMAG4051.jpg

and this is how the pieces found their way into the sump area. Two holes about 25mm diameter.
    IMAG4058.jpg

Rubber stop as fitted to the new tensioner.
    IMAG4073.jpg

and sitting against the alloy case.
    IMAG4075.jpg

Today... seemed a little smoother and quieter, but that could be my mind saying...Well done for finding the problem.
    IMAG4077.jpg

I didn't thing the pieces of rubber in the sump would do any harm, but job done and back to riding with my mad mates.
    Cheers from Oz.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018 at 1:17 AM
    V700Steve and john zibell like this.