• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 750 Clutch Rattle

jest2dogs

Just got it firing!
Well, I read on another thread (somewhere in time and space) that Guzzi's have noisy (rattly) clutches. Mine certainly does...but not all the time. (Ducati's too, I hear. Something about a middle plate that flops loosely.) I have not determined, as yet, what set of conditions create the phenomenom. But it certainly isn't happening when I have Micha from MI standing next to the bike. On other occassions it will sound like the thing is falling apart. It sounds exactly like a bad throwout bearing that availed itself in older manual transmissioned Chevies I had as a youngster.

The sound occurs and is noticeable at idle (like at a stoplight) with the clutch lever out. The sound goes away when the clutch lever is pulled in. If the motor is shut off, and the bike restarted, the sound is generally not repeated. I have not been able to hear it underway (though there is a strange "rattle" heard at about 3,100 rpm from the front of the engine, especially cold, but again not when warm or when Micha is available). I imagine the clutch rattle is not heard when underway because it is related to neutral.

So, what is it that rattles? Why is it intermittent, and may it have something to do with the 3,100 rpm rattle? (BTW, valves were/are perfectly adjusted by Micha's crew). I would have let this go except that, yet on another thread somewhere, someone eluded to a warranteed clutch issue (no details). If the clutch has loose components why aren't they always loose? If it is a bad bearing (is there a bearing there?) why isn't it "bad" all the time?

One last thing, I am taking about a 1,000 mile trip next month, two-up and have no idea how to change the Breva's clutch cable should that be an issue. (Sidebar: The very first MG I met, and have since lusted after, was a 1976 LM1, and he snapped a cable soon after we met up, and nursed the bike to the only MG dealer in the state of Vermont/1977.) I have changed the Royal Enfield's clutch cable (from "snap" to all cleaned up and on the road) in 40 minutes. I don't hink it will be that easy on the Goose. (1981, snapped a clutch cable on the R90 Beemer and was underway in similar time as the Enfield).

Ponderation time mates! Thanks for any input.

-Jesse
2007 Breva 750

How many miles on the bike? Could be one of two things 1- the springs on the clutch plate are a little loose and will stop making noise when the lever is pulled since the disc isn't spinning, but more then likely it's the floater plate that is held in with a snap ring on the pressure plate. The push rod thats hooked to the clutch cable pushes on the rod which pushes on the plate and the noise goes away. I had the same noise and replaced the clutch after 38000 miles and no more noise. Really wasn't anything wrong with it but had to repair trany so since I had it apart I replace it.
If you pull on the lever to just take up the slake and the noise goes away I'd say it was the floater plate. If you have to pull it in all the way it would be the clutch disc.
I don't think it's anything to really worry about so go enjoy your ride.
nutman

The older bikes (V35,50,65)don't have clutch noise at all. The newer ones may be different but I don't know why.

No clutch noise at all on my 09 V7C. Sounds like a good winter task; taking apart the clutch, or give to the dealer to do at that time.

I have also heard that's nothing to worry about.

Thanks folks for the input. I guess best to follow adage, "Don't fix it 'til it's broke." (Or is that, "Fix it 'til it breaks"?.....)

-Jesse

nutman wrote:
How many miles on the bike? Could be one of two things 1- the springs on the clutch plate are a little loose and will stop making noise when the lever is pulled since the disc isn't spinning, but more then likely it's the floater plate that is held in with a snap ring on the pressure plate. The push rod thats hooked to the clutch cable pushes on the rod which pushes on the plate and the noise goes away. I had the same noise and replaced the clutch after 38000 miles and no more noise. Really wasn't anything wrong with it but had to repair trany so since I had it apart I replace it.
If you pull on the lever to just take up the slake and the noise goes away I'd say it was the floater plate. If you have to pull it in all the way it would be the clutch disc.
I don't think it's anything to really worry about so go enjoy your ride.
nutman

+1 for the pressure plate

I have noticed this noise as well. Idling on the side stand or sometimes at stop signs then pull the lever and it goes away. There is a pressure plate that goes in the space in the center of the flywheel that is only held in place by a snap ring. It can wobble around but the clutch rod will push it in fully when the lever is pulled. I had my clutch out and flywheel out just yesterday and I could reproduce the noise by wobbling the pressure plate around. I bet that is what it is too.

Morizzi wrote:
The older bikes (V35,50,65)don't have clutch noise at all. The newer ones may be different but I don't know why.

The breva manual calls the pressure plate "new cup type". I don't what makes it new or different though.

Well,

My Breva certainly sounds like a dry-clutch Ducati when idling in neutral. :laugh:
The rattle will if not disappear, then be much less noticable when a gear is engaged and at speed.
But can be heard.

Maybe time for an adjustment - which I've never decided being necessary before. Clutch still engages fine, and at the right point to suit my hand.

"Sounds" like I am in good company :O)

NOLA...

Where is the parts illustration from? (oops! dangling partiple)

I need some printed material badly! Where can I get a Clymer's, Haynes or official Breva 750 service manual?

MI in Seattle gave me a CD with a complete overhaul manual (?) if I ever need to break down the engine... But I need to see drawings etc on how to replace a clutch cable or change out a fuel pump etc.

What's available? Do I need to remortgage the house to acquire it?

-Jesse

jest2dogs wrote:

NOLA...

I need some printed material badly! Where can I get a Clymer's, Haynes or official Breva 750 service manual?

MI in Seattle gave me a CD with a complete overhaul manual (?) if I ever need to break down the engine... But I need to see drawings etc on how to replace a clutch cable or change out a fuel pump etc.

-Jesse

No Haynes, no Clymers.
Don't bother to look for them.

Guess "Guzziology" will be your saviour, next to the shop manual.
Or the "trial & error" process, which anyway is the best school of them all. :laugh:

Never heard that rattle before in my Little B...yet. Good to know it might happen.

jest2dogs wrote:

NOLA...

-Jesse

That is from the parts manual.
https://www.guzzitech.com/MGGriso/Breva7 ... a_2003.pdf

I agree that it is nice to have pics to see where things go.

Guzziology is the only reference that I paid anything for, aside from donations to websites like this one, and it is a great Guzzi reference. Not specific for the breva but there are lots of tips and pointers in there. It is worth every penny.

Another wonderful guzzi reference site, with videos featuring the 750 breva as the example.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi_training/

Enjoy.

Back