• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 750 dead dashboard after heavy rain

gammaman41

Just got it firing!
Help!
I purchased a used 2007 Breva 750 about 5 weeks ago and all was well. Low mileage, great looking and great running bike.

The bike was outside at work one day and it got caught in heavy rain storm, a typical July mid afternoon thunderstorm. Drove it home after work and after the rain had ended and had no problems. The next morning, the gages were slightly foggy and I didn't think much about it. I figured a little water got in. Noticed after about a half mile that the tach was reading zero. Then noticed that the speedometer was reading zero. I turned it off and back on and noticed that the power up routine with both needles going all the way to the right and back to zero again didn't occur. Nor did any of the dashboard lights come on like they normally do.

The headlight and brake lights work. Funny enough, the high beam indicator light is the only light on the dashboard that illuminates. The turn signals or hazards do not work. It appears that the computer chip on the dashboard controls those functions.

Took the dashboard apart and did see some water spotting present. Pinned out the wiring with a voltmeter and all the fuses and relays and voltages on the dashboard appear to be correct. The circuit board does not show any signs of problems, but simply won't work (other than the high beam indicator).

I've been caught in the rain before on my previous motorcycle and never had a problem, other than wet clothes.

Looking for suggestions. I hate to spend the big bucks for a new dashboard unit if there is some reset button somewhere.

Other than the lack of turn signals, is there any detriment to operating the motorcycle without a dashboard?

If I do get a new dashboard, does anyone know if it can be programmed with the correct mileage, etc?

Wow ! I have a 2006 Breva 750, and I have ridden through rain so bad, I missed an interstate turn off.
Yes, I have had some condensation issues , with my dials, for a few hours.
Throughout Thunderstorms and torrential rain, I have crossed the USA each year since 2007 and have amassed over 70 000 miles in the USA - Canada - Alaska.
So far, I have never had a black out with the instruments !

I am not saying that the rain, has not caused problems !
All I am saying.... From my own experience....
Is that you might have an electronic meltdown !

Can you get to GT ? So he can wave his magic wand ?

If not, then I hope you can get to a Guzzi Shop, that has the newfangled plug in diagnostic stuff !

Good Luck !!

Water has been known to get into the speed sensor thus stopping the speedo from working, and may cause other dash issues.

Have you looked carefully at the PCB to ensure there is no corrosion or shorting on it? Sometimes just a bit of time to dry properly can help.

I pulled out my Fluke Multimeter and checked all the voltages and signals coming into the dashboard and all were okay. I then powered the dashboard from a benchtop power supply and checked for readings at different locations on the circuit board. It was correctly converting the 12v input voltage down to 5v for the circuitry, but alas nothing would work except the hight beam LED.

I did contact Carmo Electronics, from the post above, who said they would take a look at it, but in the end decided to order a factory new dashboard from a Moto Guzzi dealer. I was nervous as it wasn't cheap and there are NO RETURNS ON ELECTRONICS! Luckily I installed it and it worked without any problems. Been riding for a few weeks now and all is well again. Now I have to put the front wheel on a treadmill and put the missing miles back on the odometer!

I'm glad to hear that motoguzziman has rode successfully in the rain. We've had some wicked heavy thunderstorms here in NJ this summer and I'm now keeping a 2.5mm Allen key in the tool bag under the seat. In the event I get caught in the rain again, the first thing I'm going to do is disconnect the dashbaord.

My brother and family was visiting from California this summer and one of the things they were excited to see was the deluge of rain we kept getting. He'd like to ship some of that back home.

Someday maybe I'll get the faulty dashbaord unit repaired. It is very clean and looks nice, except of course doesn't work!

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. If you do send it to Carmo in the future we would also like to know how the results of that.

Back