• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 750 Gearbox noise.

dbeerd said:
Does anyone know if the Breva 750 gears in the gearbox are unique to that model. Would I be able to source gears from any other older model???? :?:

Would it not be easier just to substitute the whole gearbox? I'm pretty sure you can do that with any small block. Of course, you have no idea whether the replacement is even worse than the original, and it is certain to have more km on it.

I know with the 750s, there was a change in 2005(?) to a slightly taller 5th gear to help them pass Euro 3. Other than that, Brevas and V7Cs have the same gearbox, I think.

Dear Moderator - I see some of my posts have disappeared. Is this due to censorship or perhaps due to a Tech error??

Hi,

I had the same problem with 4th gear on my Nevada. I took the gearbox apart and so pitting signs on 4th ant 5th gears. I made a total reconstruction of gearbox (all bearings and damagaed gear wheels) and I still have noisy gerbox (in almost all gears). Becouse I know that everything is new I will try with 75w140 oil and hope that this is normal for MG.

Regards, T

Hi, Thanks for the info. I had the bike since new and am aware of the normal noise, this however sounds a bit on the wild side. The gears have degenerated to the point of breaking off. Let us know how your test with the oil goes.

7ak said:
Hi,

I had the same problem with 4th gear on my Nevada. I took the gearbox apart and so pitting signs on 4th ant 5th gears. I made a total reconstruction of gearbox (all bearings and damagaed gear wheels) and I still have noisy gerbox (in almost all gears). Becouse I know that everything is new I will try with 75w140 oil and hope that this is normal for MG.

Regards, T

T, I've heard of noisy gears from other people, yet some say their transmission is quiet. I'm interested in what different gear oils do for you.

Joe

Hi,

The construction of Newada or Breva gearbox is wery old. At that time predictet oil was SAE 90 with viscosity at 40C about 200mm2/s. Today the gearbox is the same, but user manual says, that corect oil is 80W-90 gearbox oil with viscosity at 40C about 130 mm2/s (let say AGIP ROTRA GL-5 (80W-90). It is still possible to get SAE 90 oil, but according to my opinion is gearbox oil 75W-140 beter option. This oil has similar viscosity as SAE 90 at 40C (cca.200mm2/s), but higher at 100C(17 for SAE 90 and 27 for 75W-140). Becouse of this reason the gearbox should be less noisy wit 75w-140 than 80w-90. This is theory. I tried it in practise and it works well. Gear changing is a litlle harder when the gearbox is cold, but then is OK and the gearbox produce less noise.

I was also ridding the MG with quiet gearbox. I think, that this depend on good or bad day of italian workers. As I said, I make a total restavration of the gearbox and it still isnt quiet. I think that tolerances in housing and axles are just too big for that. I found it out that is much less noise with 75w-140 oil. according to written there should be no reason for using it. If I will have some troubles in the future becouse of that I will let you know.

Have fun, T

Hi Mr T, Thanks for the update. I just got a price from Italy on the price of the new gears for my gear box. The only word that comes to mind is “Eish” (That is Zulu slang for “sh.t”) The cost equates to one month’s salary. :sick:

dbeerd said:
Hi Mr T, Thanks for the update. I just got a price from Italy on the price of the new gears for my gear box. The only word that comes to mind is “Eish” (That is Zulu slang for “sh.t”) The cost equates to one month’s salary. :sick:

That's about how much I paid for my whole bike :shock:

dbeerd said:

How about buying pieces, or a whole transmission, from a salvage yard ("breaker"), or on Ebay? I've had luck there.

Joe

Hi, Due to not having an Guzzi dealer in SA the availability of bikes and thus 2nd hand spares is basically nonexistent. I found a box via the internet, but due to our weak currency, steep transportation costs into SA coupled with the import duties, negates this option. The Euro is basically 10 times stronger than the Rand, it used to be 15 times stronger. The Dollar is about 8 times stronger than the Rand. I got a quote from a breakers yard in Holland and they are more expensive than obtaining new parts from Italy. “Eish”

Hi, Finally ordered the parts from Italy. Very excited. Can’t wait to get the Guzzi on the road again :cheer:

Hi all,

First, thanks Dion for the detailed story !
I actually have the exact same problem on mine. I am now opening the gearbox (it's winter time here !)... But I am wondering if the problem was fixed by Guzzi. As you say, there must be a poblem with the surface hardening of the gears.
Does someone know if new replacement gears ordered from Guzzi would still have this problem ?

Thanks,
Julien

Ciao
I'm a bit surprised about this problem on a Breva, as this is a post 1990 bike. This issue seem to be a pre 1990 problem although many SB boxes have a whine of some level. Few are completely without according to Guzziology.

Around 1990/91 when the Nevada/Targa/Strada/750NTX was lounged, some upgrades were done to the gearbox. Additional chanels were installed and connected to a gutter that should pickup oil and lead it to the 1st and 5th gear, and the 5th gear was made wider + a few other improvements compared to late 80's boxes.

I dont know the level of the whine - but if it's anywhere near the whine of my Lario I understand why you want to fix the issue.

I think the resolutions has been given in this string. You need to maintain the oil level and I'd always make sure to have 1,1L in there. That may require you lean the bike ove a bit hen you top it off but I think that will help the issue, and prevent the 2 new 5th gears from wearing out after 30.000km - they should last 3-4 times longer. You may want to consider RedLine Shock Proof gearlube.

I have a Targa with the same improvements I mentioned in this post. It also have a light whine in all gears, but really no problem. My Lario box need a rebuild. It sounds like a World Ware 2 sirene below 120km/h.

Good luck rebuilding the box. The first time you crack one open is always exiting :eek: :blink: :S - you'll survive ;)

Saluti

The Breva is up and running. I rode it to work this morning, about 25km with NO noise emanating from the gearbox. The bike was also previously making a slight whine in 4th, but due to the cost of spares I only replaced 5 gear, the bearing under 5th and the oil seals and gaskets. To my surprise the noise in 4th has also ceased. I am almost convinced that the noise was generated by the bearing under the 5th gear. In any case she runs beautifully. I was planning on selling her, now my wife wants to use her. WHAT A JOB. :D

Back