• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 750 Starter Problems.

Peter Lamb

Just got it firing!
After having a non functioning starter at the weekend and then a very slow starter, the motor now appears to be jammed.

I have taken it off the bike and tested it. The drive spigot flies out when energised, but it's not rotating. When it's on the bike it's causing a high current draw, as the lights and dash go dim. Has anyone experienced similar with the these Valeo motors. This is a 2005 bike with only 6000 miles on the clock.
Any help welcome before I delve deeper.

Your starter is the same as on many other models. Some have stated that the grease in the drive becomes hard and prevents proper operation. You could try cleaning the components. If that fails to correct the situation replacement of the starter is necessary. I suspect the motor unit has failed since the solenoid is doing what it should, but the motor isn't turning. Could be a motor or bearing issue, but it is easier and more cost effective to replace the starter if that is the case. Good after market starters are available.

Your starter is the same as on many other models. Some have stated that the grease in the drive becomes hard and prevents proper operation. You could try cleaning the components. If that fails to correct the situation replacement of the starter is necessary. I suspect the motor unit has failed since the solenoid is doing what it should, but the motor isn't turning. Could be a motor or bearing issue, but it is easier and more cost effective to replace the starter if that is the case. Good after market starters are available.

John, any recommendations for an after market starter? I am looking to replace the crappy Lucas starter on my v65 (1985) with something that doesn't need a finger push to start.

I discovered the problem with the starter last night.

There is a light tin cover over the planetary gearset. This had become detached and was resting on the end of the motor armature, and consequently shorting out. It was very burnt when I removed it and was scrap. I made a new one from a 56mm diameter washer and spun it down on the lathe to reduce it to the required 51mm. To help make sure it stays in place I potted it into position with Araldite. The motor seems to work fine off the bike, but I haven't yet re-fitted it.
2016 07 07 201742 2016 07 07 201826 2016 07 07 201857 2016 07 07 221058

John, any recommendations for an after market starter? I am looking to replace the crappy Lucas starter on my v65 (1985) with something that doesn't need a finger push to start.

All my sources are in the US. I'm sure they would ship but I'm not sure what shipping and your import tax would do to the price. The most economical is these guys http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/MG-STR3-Guzzi-Starter-Replaces-D6RA21-D6RA210-p/mg-str3.htm The high quality starter (I keep one in stock) is this unit at the bottom of this page http://www.motoelekt.com/starter.htm I'd try to find a source in Europe before contacting one of these vendors.

All my sources are in the US. I'm sure they would ship but I'm not sure what shipping and your import tax would do to the price. The most economical is these guys http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/MG-STR3-Guzzi-Starter-Replaces-D6RA21-D6RA210-p/mg-str3.htm The high quality starter (I keep one in stock) is this unit at the bottom of this page http://www.motoelekt.com/starter.htm I'd try to find a source in Europe before contacting one of these vendors.

Thanks John, i was aware of euromotoelectrics - their prices look reasonable, and now that you say their products are ok, I can order with more confidence. I also found this http://www.startenladen.nl/Startmotor-Moto-Guzzi-D6RA21, it's sold locally, but I know no one who bought anything from them. It's cheap, the question is wether the price matches the quality. I wonder what is the chance that this one is exactly the same as sold on euromotoelectrics...

btw: I think my Lucas starter has 8 teeth and the Valeo (genuine and knockoffs) have 9 teeth, is that a problem?

Thanks John, i was aware of euromotoelectrics - their prices look reasonable, and now that you say their products are ok, I can order with more confidence. I also found this http://www.startenladen.nl/Startmotor-Moto-Guzzi-D6RA21, it's sold locally, but I know no one who bought anything from them. It's cheap, the question is wether the price matches the quality. I wonder what is the chance that this one is exactly the same as sold on euromotoelectrics...

btw: I think my Lucas starter has 8 teeth and the Valeo (genuine and knockoffs) have 9 teeth, is that a problem?

That starter you linked to may be worth a try. The number on the motor is suspiciously similar to the Valeo number. I'm not sure about the teeth. If the engagement to the ring gear looks good I'd try it.

That starter you linked to may be worth a try. The number on the motor is suspiciously similar to the Valeo number. I'm not sure about the teeth. If the engagement to the ring gear looks good I'd try it.

Today I received the aftermarket starter motor I ordered from German ebay. According to the description it should fit my MG v65, but to my surprise the power stated on the label is 0.6 kW and not 1.1 kW as advertised on ebay. I already emailed the shop. Yet I am not sure if I should attempt to return it or give it a shot. My impression is that a lot of these aftermarket starters work just fine, but until I put it on I won't know. On the other hand I don't want to void the warranty...

StarterMotor

I'd recommend returning it. The Euro Motoelectric unit is 1.2 Kw of torque. http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/MG-STR3-Guzzi-Starter-Replaces-D6RA21-D6RA210-p/mg-str3.htm

The 0.6 Kw might be enough for a small block, but why risk it. Usually once an electrical component is installed it can't be returned.

John, my curiousity won me over. Once I got back from work I installed the starter and it worked just fine. How long it will serve me remains to be seen, but 78 € including shipping is not a terribly high price to pay if it breaks. What surprised me was how much smaller it is than the Lucas starter, and the solenoid is kind of tilted towords the engine, instead of the upright position on the Lucas starter. Maybe for guys building cafe racers would be not a bad choice beacause it's more compact than the genuine starters.

AftermarketStarterGuzzi

John, my curiousity won me over. Once I got back from work I installed the starter and it worked just fine. How long it will serve me remains to be seen, but 78 € including shipping is not a terribly high price to pay if it breaks. What surprised me was how much smaller it is than the Lucas starter, and the solenoid is kind of tilted towords the engine, instead of the upright position on the Lucas starter. Maybe for guys building cafe racers would be not a bad choice beacause it's more compact than the genuine starters.

View attachment 10673

A small update. the seller replied to my email saying the torque power of the starter is 1.1 kW, and not 0.6 kW as shown on the label, they put the wrong label by accident. It makes sense, it's hard to believe it would work with only half the spec power.

Back