• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva Light Fest - Part 1 - MotoLights

Mike.C

High Miler
Recovered from the HDD

Riding conditions in Australia have some unique issues that we have to deal with, one of which is wildlife crossing the road without warning. Kangaroos are the biggest offender especially at dusk and dawn, but wombats, possums, echidnas, and all manner of other critters, not least of which are farmers' cows or sheep, any of which can cause a brown trouser moment for the unwary motorcyclist.

It doesn't even have to be a country area - I live 45 minutes form the centre of Brisbane which is the third largest city in Aus and I regularly see road kill on the commute to work in town. Young drivers in country areas are taught form an early age how to avoid hitting animals as a matter of course during their driver/rider training, but City folk miss out on this sometimes to their extreme disadvantage.

In rural areas you just don't plan to ride at dusk, good trip planning puts you at the bar with a coldie by about 4:30pm especially in Summer. But of course that is in an ideal world and Oh if it were so! The only defence is a sharp eye, quick reflexes and good lights. Failure of any one of these can lead to catastrophic consequences - hitting a big roo which may be 2 metres (6 ft 7 in) tall and weigh 90 kg (200 lb) will do a lot of damage very quickly.

The only part of the equation that is hardware is the lights, which on the Breva just don't have the penetration or power to light up enough of the road ahead to allow for a large enough stopping distance should one pop into view.... SO I decided on a two pronged approach - Moto Lights giving spot power and the added benefit of daylight safety, and a complete HID system on both High and Low beam.

Moto Lights are old hat, but my switching system might be of interest. In Aus it is a mandatory requirement that any auxilliary driving lights installed must be connected to the high/low beam switch. I chose to design a system that complied but also allowed me to have the motolights on with the low beam for safety reasons during the day, and also an all off option that allows me to run only the OEM lights. Although technically illegal because of the low beam on option, I recon the daylight safety is more important and I'll dazzle the copper with BS just before I roost him as I take off into the sunset - seriously though country coppers are generally reasonable in my experience and as long as I can demonstrate that I can turn them off with the high/low beam switch, it's good enough for me. I also opted for the larger 50watt bulbs to give maximum lighting power.

I installed a double throw single pole miniature switch on the dashboard where the ABS switch would be if I had one. :evil: The common runs back to a relay beside the battery that powers the lights, then other two connections are connected in parallel with the high and low beam at the headlight. So it works like this: switch Up - Motolights work only with Hgh beam, switch Centre - Motolights always off, switch Down - Motolights on at all times.

An important consideration on the Breva is the available voltage when cranking the engine on startup, hence Guzzi have designed the electrical system to only turn on the headlights after the engine has started. This necessitated taking the relay signal power from the wires directly at the headlight so that the Motolights would work in the same way.

The switch was mounted in the dashboard like this

moto_0001.JPG

moto_0002.JPG

The Lights mount like this

moto_0003.JPG

moto_0004.JPG

moto_0005.JPG

moto_0006.JPG

There you have it - Moto lights installed. My impressions are that they are well made but in fact if you are looking for increased night lighting it might be better to investigate other alternatives, they are just not designed as driving lights. Oh and another thing, don't drop the bike - they will break!!!! However I am very happy with the increased daylight visibility and in fact I have since installed a set on the Ministers' Nevada.

The HID system was not quite so easy, and in fact turned into a bit of a marathon and was probably the most difficult electrical install I have ever done, on any vehicle - and given my propensity for crazy projects that's saying something - watch for the part 2 of the Breva Light Fest - posting tomorrow.

Back