• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva oil filter-new

mg877

Just got it firing!
If you're stuck with buying an expensive filter cap wrench or removing the sump (or getting your dealer to do a simple oil change) just to change your filter, then you might be interested in a new filter (that's on the market in Oz and elsewhere?) that has a nut on it's base, thus making removal/fitting a breeze.
The filter is made by Drift and it's part # is DI-MF418 (I bought mine from AutoBarn). As a bonus it comes with a magnetic metal trap internally for extra protection. K&N also do a filter (sorry didn't make a note of the #) with an integral nut but, the nut is spot welded on and doesn't look too strong to me, neither does it have the magnetic particle trap internally.

How much are you paying for the filter cap wrench in Oz? Around NZ$15 here, or US$8.95.

Hardly a reason to use an alternative filter, especially one that has "an integral nut but, the nut is spot welded on and doesn't look too strong".

Read post again Dave, the 'spot welded' refers to the K&N version.
This mystifies me......I'm only giving info re alternatives-why bag it?

The question of oil filters etc. comes up often. While there probably are other filters that will do the job quite adequately you are always going to be running the risk of using something that will either be of sub-standard quality or will not meet the manufacturers specification. Do you know what the bypass pressure is for either of these suggested replacements? No. I thought not.

I get a lot of stick from many people over my adherence to the principle of using the OEM UFI filter. In many cases it is suggested that I do so because I'm making some sort of obscene profit which will enable me to retire to the Bahamas and have fat girls sit on my face for the rest of my life. Surely ANYBODY with 1/2 a brain would realize that the profits from selling a few oil filters for an obscure, Italian, motorbike would be highly unlikely to finance a small container of cocoa butter and the wear and tear on my right wrist if I'm looking for a way of financing some sort of hedonistic head-plant into sexual nirvanah!

The simple facts are that the OEM filters WORK, they are CHEAP, All it takes is enough foresight to make sure you have them on hand when you need them. Hell! Buy a slab of 'em from MG Cycle in the US Agostinis in Europe or Mario in Perth if you're in Oz! Throw in a few gaskets and other 'Consumables' to help minimise postage and you're set! Do you think that I, as a service agent, wait until I have a bike booked in and then order '1' filter??? Any business that does deserves to not only go to the wall but to be stripped of any claim to being competent.!!!!

Also remember that if your bike is still under warranty and you aren't using OEM parts your warranty can, and will be, knocked back! Your choce, very easy, but don't moan if it all turns to shit.

FWIW the UFI filter from the importer here 'Retails' at $28.68 + GST, postage etc. Most of the 'Guzzi' blokes, myself included, can do them considerably cheaper but since the demise of Moto One in Melbourne the only 'Major' source of 'Non' official Guzzi parts is Mario in Perth. Use him, we need him, he's not only good but he keeps reality happening vis a vis Guzzi parts, especially for the 'Older' models. In The USA almost all the 'Good Guys', (MPH, Harpers, Speakers, Moto International, Guzzi Classics, MG Cycle etc.) know the ropes, In Europe the world is your oyster but overlooking Ago's is insane and they speak very good english, with an Aussie twang in the case of Peter!

Spending $20 on a wrench for the filter seems to me like pretty small beer compared to invalidating your warranty by using another product simply because it's easier!

YOMV.

Pete

Wow! Before I was mystified but now, well now....I just feel rather sad to be honest.

6 paras of unasked for opinion with questions complete with their own answers e.g. "Do you know what the bypass pressure is for either of these suggested replacements? No. I thought not". [actually I do, but kudos is due for such an impressive piece of 'distance mind reading' even if you got it wrong]

Here's one back for you, Do you know if either of these alternatives will "either be of sub-standard quality or will not meet the manufacturers specification"? [I'm tempted to say "No. I thought not", but I think that would be rather rude]

I get one respondent who hasn't even bothered to read the post properly in the first place and another that assumes I'm accusing him of "making some sort of obscene profit which will enable me to retire to the Bahamas and have fat girls sit on my face for the rest of my life". I don't actually remember thinking that but then, I suppose that is another case of 'distance mind reading' - you obviously have a talent in that direction.

After suggestions that anybody who doesn't agree with you has "1/2 a brain", you tell me about your sexual proclivities. Fact is I'm really NOT interested in what you do with a "container of cocoa butter and the wear and tear on my right wrist" - yuk! Is anybody else? Hint: relationships with people can be much more rewarding.

If you have anything to say that is of value then acting like an opinionated child doesn't enhance it one iota, perhaps maturity should come with knowledge but meantime, I really do think that we should do the best that we can.

This is not what I thought this forum was about so I'll sign off and remove my registration - then you can enjoy your little pond to your hearts content.

Yeah Yeah Yeah, keep ya shirt on the both of ya..... You both have valid arguments and issues. :unsure:

Back to the filters it just so happens that I ordered 20Litres of Penrite Sin 10 yesterday for $275 (AUD Inc GST) and realised today that I need filters to go with it so the thread is timely - thanks.

Pete I'd never heard of Mario in Perth - who is he? - Edit: Don't panic I just found him "Thunderbikes" - carton of filters is on the way!

Now for the good bit here is a list of other filters that will fit from the old/old board Courtesy of RacerX. I'm not sayin go out and use em, but if you are stuck without one and will miss a good ride day - it's nice to have an alternative to OEM that the local Super Cheap Auto might have in stock.

Recommended in order (top 3 only) per THIS Independent website:

1. Purolator L10241/25230 stocked by auto stores. Purolator also lists the ML16822 as stock replacement. It is interchangeable with the L10241, but costs more. It's a filter alternative that's been thoroughly tested and meets/exceeds the UFI specs. - John M.
2. Mobil 1 M1-102
3. Bosch 3330
4. AMSOIL EaOM135 (132) - This filter is longer in length then stock (more capacity/filtering), as such it sticks out below the pan @1/2"+ (@15mm) or so. This makes for easy on/off with basic filter pliers in addition to a filter-socket. The EaOM132 is recommended for all '00-04/5 Guzzis.
5. Halfords HOF293 (with built-in nut feature).
6. K&N KN-171B - Has anyone here tried/used this one? It has the molded-in end nut like above. This cross references with the Fram 6022 above, which have been used on Guzzis for many years, and is recommended for the Breva/Griso 1100.
7. HIFLOFILTRO HF551
8. Napa #PS1215 or Napa 1348
9. Perform HDCL-2
10. Hastings LF576
11. Purolator ML16822
12. WIX 51348
13. Baldwin B1413
14. Fram 6022, PH6065A

mg877 wrote:

What part of your post do you think I didn't read properly? Your post offers a couple of other filter choices because of the cost of the filter wrench which I pointed out ain't that expensive. That was my point.

I'm with Pete, cocoa butter and all. I'd rather stick with a filter recommended by the manufacturer, unless there's a bloody good reason to switch. Sure the K&N version has spot welds that look suspect, but just how much torque can you get on that centre nut on the Drift (whoever they are) before it lets go or disintegrates. I'd much rather get a solid purchase around the perimeter than deal with a small hexagon nut in the middle.

That said, I wonder why UFI has changed from the 8 facet filter to the 14 facet version? Can't see any advantage in the later version, but perhaps I'm missing something?

mg877 wrote:
Wow! Before I was mystified but now, well now....I just feel rather sad to be honest.

Here's one back for you, Do you know if either of these alternatives will "either be of sub-standard quality or will not meet the manufacturers specification"? [I'm tempted to say "No. I thought not", but I think that would be rather rude]

snip

This is not what I thought this forum was about so I'll sign off and remove my registration - then you can enjoy your little pond to your hearts content.

On the first issue? The OEM filter works, it is price comparable, why bother with an alternative? I haven't used other ones, although I have seen comparative surveys of other filters and there are a lot of very inferior offerings out there. That's all. As for feeling you have been personally attacked? Mate, exactly how thin is your skin. I didn't mention you or your post I simply put forward MY argument, with a bit of humour that was obviously not to your taste, sorry, it's the WORLD WIDE WEB so you'll meet all sorts, even those like me.:cheer: As I also pointed out, which may be of greater interst to many with newer bikes if they use a non OEM filter they will invalidate their warranty. Perhaps this isn't important to you, it is to many people.

As for the second point? Sorry you've had a little hissy fit. I suggest getting out a bit more.

Pete

kiwi dave wrote:
That said, I wonder why UFI has changed from the 8 facet filter to the 14 facet version? Can't see any advantage in the later version, but perhaps I'm missing something?[/quote]

Dunno for sure but my incredibly cheap 14 flute wrench doesn't spin off the filter nearly as easily as my much more expensive 8 flute one so I'd guess that perhaps its a matter of better purchase. There again it might simply be the factory re-tooled and all their filters now come with 14 flutes.

But I'm a pervert so what would I know:laugh:

Pete

Mike.C wrote:
Pete I'd never heard of Mario in Perth - who is he? - Edit: Don't panic I just found him "Thunderbikes" - carton of filters is on the way!

Snip.

1. Purolator L10241/25230 stocked by auto stores. Purolator also lists the ML16822 as stock replacement. It is interchangeable with the L10241, but costs more. It's a filter alternative that's been thoroughly tested and meets/exceeds the UFI specs. - John M.
2. Mobil 1 M1-102
3. Bosch 3330
4. AMSOIL EaOM135 (132) - This filter is longer in length then stock (more capacity/filtering), as such it sticks out below the pan @1/2"+ (@15mm) or so. This makes for easy on/off with basic filter pliers in addition to a filter-socket. The EaOM132 is recommended for all '00-04/5 Guzzis.
5. Halfords HOF293 (with built-in nut feature).
6. K&N KN-171B - Has anyone here tried/used this one? It has the molded-in end nut like above. This cross references with the Fram 6022 above, which have been used on Guzzis for many years, and is recommended for the Breva/Griso 1100.
7. HIFLOFILTRO HF551
8. Napa #PS1215 or Napa 1348
9. Perform HDCL-2
10. Hastings LF576
11. Purolator ML16822
12. WIX 51348
13. Baldwin B1413
14. Fram 6022, PH6065A

There are some truly excereble AM filters out there, the Fram is a case in point. I took one apart for shit and giggles last time I was in LA and it really was a case study in 'How Not To Build a Spin On Cartridge Filter' Sure it cost next to nothing, that's because it was worth less than nothing. It was probbably adding more *Chunks* to the oil than it was removing! An awful thing.

In Graham's workshop he uses a lot of Baldwins on anything that moves and they seem to be a good unit but I don't know a price comparison.

As I've often pointed out before though many people insist on using super-special oils in their old ditchpumps that cost huge amounts of $ per litre but then will crawl seven miles over broken glass to get a filter that costs $2.00 less than an OEM one. That's fine, it's their bike, but it simply seems a bit bonkers to me.

Pete

kiwi dave wrote:
mg877 wrote:

What part of your post do you think I didn't read properly? Your post offers a couple of other filter choices because of the cost of the filter wrench which I pointed out ain't that expensive. That was my point.

I'm with Pete, cocoa butter and all. I'd rather stick with a filter recommended by the manufacturer, unless there's a bloody good reason to switch. Sure the K&N version has spot welds that look suspect, but just how much torque can you get on that centre nut on the Drift (whoever they are) before it lets go or disintegrates. I'd much rather get a solid purchase around the perimeter than deal with a small hexagon nut in the middle.

That said, I wonder why UFI has changed from the 8 facet filter to the 14 facet version? Can't see any advantage in the later version, but perhaps I'm missing something?

Call me a Kultz but I managed to round off an 8 point UFI using the proper wrench to the point I could not get it off my Norge without totally having to destroy it, I didn't go that route though, but opted to drop the sump so I could remove it with a strap wrench. I will not use the 8 point filter anymore and now only will use the 14 point one with the proper wrench there is far less of a chance for a Kultz (like me) to round it off. Looking inside the latest filters you can see a big difference in the construction, to me it looks like it would be more free flowing and the gasket material looks of a different make up.

FWIW

I always pre fill the new filter before installing, usually fill it to the top and install,this last time I was curious as to how much oil the filter will hold. It took 3 times filling it to the top before the level stayed there equates to almost 1/2 liter of oil ! So my pre filling routine will be altered to allow time for the new filter medium to absorb as much oil as possible.

marklawrence wrote:
The link to the oil filter X-ref is my page, http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html. However, the quoted portion here has been edited. My top recommendation is for the Pure One PL PL10241 / PL25230. The L series filters are just normal stuff. The ML series filters are made in china and rebranded, I wouldn't buy them at all.
Mark, I hadn't made the link to it being you who did the study. Kudos!

Is there a cross to the newer/deeper filters used on the newer Guzzis for the Pure One PL10241?

Hey MG877 you can't quit you only just got here. I swear by the oil filter with the nut on the top, it been good for me for 30 000 miles. I use to use 10W40 but pushed the boat out and got some shell helix 15W650 of ebay cheap. Moto guzzi needs newbie's so keep post-in.

Back